Tank of the Month - August '06

Well, I tossed a hand-full into my 1000g display and never saw them again. That doesn't mean they are not there, but I would think I would at least see one since. Also, my aptaisia are alive and well. :(

1000g - WOW!. Might be an issue that there need to be more than a few in these mega-tank (and then it is do you want them in there). They do seem to hide though so they wouldn't be an eyesore. I spotted one yesterday for a second but that's been it for the past 5 days.
Read elsewhere that they are not a surefire method but that some say that they control the aip population fairly well.

Hmm,
I am not sure if it's a good idea to try (regarding tanksize) but I'll do if seeing them in a LFS.
If not controlling all Aips, maybe they prevent the dreaded Aip. outbreak.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) about different peppermint species, very similar
looking but different chance on eating Aips. Think I have to find that again, first.
Ralf

by the way, I just went down to thetank with a flashlight and there was one of the peppermints out and about. maybe they are nocturnal?

sometimes they are, peppermint are quite shy, but it should come out daylight as well. Depends on how secure they feel. Some when my shrimp get insecure, it hide till night time and scavange. Lots of time my shrimp does it right when I feed my tank during lighting period.

Awesome Tank!

Thanks for sharing with us, we learn more and more on BIG systems with guys like you...

Maybe someday it will be me...

Hmmm

Dark

what material do you use on the loving room wall. such a modern display. i like the fact that you still allow it to look like a fish tank and not just a framed picture. you and mr steve weast are who i am modelling my upgrade.

Thanks, Dark,
looking forward to seeing yours on RC too.

Tank you, achillesheel,
the "frame" is made of a synthetic furniture material, coloured with the same colour, as the windowframes and doors etc.
The elements are surrounded by a high grade, brushed steel, leaving a shadow gap between the different materials. The wall itself has a mineralic colour, which was brushed vertically while it was wet.
if some feet away, one can't see the brush strokes on the wall, but somehow the wall looks softer this way.

Best,
Ralf

Really awesome Tank!

A question, why did you prefer using a split for cooling and not a chiller ?
Do you think using a chiller would be less expensive ??

Best, Luiz Seadorf

Thanks Luiz,

sorry for the late answer.. I was a little busy at end of the year...

I assume, that "chiller" would mean a device, where the water flows through, being
chilled in the usual way: heat of the water is transfered to the air around the "chiller"
which therefore gets warmer.

The largest chiller for aquaristic usage, I found was for about 1000 liters, the tank is 3300 l.
The tank stands in a relatively small room, where the waste-heat of the chiller would heat
the tank again etc..
Using the split-level aircon, the waste heat of the systems turns up outside the house.
Additional, the aircon dehumidifies the room in summer, where I don't want to fan the
outside air into the room, because its too hot.

Hope, that answers your question and I understood "chiller" and "split" in the way you meant it.

Best, Ralf

center-640.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ralf,

Here in Brazil we call chiller or refrigerator. You shoud know Teco and Aquamedic... I forgot how big is your tank. You right using a split.
The chiller is usually put outside the house and water goes and return to the reef, so heat will not be transfered to the tank again.

My tank is 550 liters and is inside a small room too. At the time, I was thinking about using a split and asked my friends and everybody says a chiller would be a best choice. They told me a chiller uses less energy and I could make a best control of water temperature .
Nobody in Brazil uses split for cooling a reef. I wish I could ask someone at the time to answer my questions and take a decision, so I choose the chiller. When a notice you are using a split I became very interested. Thank you. I will tell my friends in Brazil about your tank.

Ralf, I still have some questions :
You said the split dehumidifies the room, do you notice it increases the water evaporation ??

If you dont' have the split and the room is all closed the air humidity will increase and became a problem ?

Why you fan outside air into the room, is this air more cold and helps the split, except in summer ?? Don't you think the split would be more effective if the room is all closed ?

Best, Luiz

Thanks,

Luiz,
I think that one of the bigger problems, regarding large tanks, is the humidity.
The temperature range, where I live is from a max of about 35-40 degree centigrade in summer
to -20 C in winter, with relatively long periods of wet air combined with low temperatures.
In summer only the split is operating, keeping the roomair below 24 degree C and the rel humid. at around 50%. I don't fan outside air in and only a very little amount of air out (to keep tankair from entering my livingroom).
In the winter, the split is not operating. The outside air is dry and I use a "Stiebel Eltron DL13" fan to move inside air out and outside in. The DL13 has a cross-flow heat exchanger, keeping most of the warmth in, while exchanging air.
Spring and autum is a pain, wet outside air which should keep me away from using the DL13 and low temperatures which makes cooling/dehumidifying with the split problematic.
In this time, I use the different units, changing setups from time to time.
The additinal fan, thats normally running on low volume is speed up during this period to produce underpressure in the tankroom and suck dry, warm air from the livingroom inside the tankroom. Well, in this time the rel. humid. is about 65%, compared to 50% in summer and winter.
Without all this equpment, I would be able to keep dartfrogs or something in the room; feels like a tropical rainforest around the afternoon-rain.
As dry air takes more water than wet, I think evaporation increases if using something that removes water from the air. Unfortunately I haven't measured it. I take the water from automatically refilling 1500 l storage in the cellar.

NanoCube-boy,
most of the coral (captive bred) came with a small stone, the frags without were glued to one. The smaller frags where stuck between the LR and the larger ones fastened with cableties. Coral touching LR or glass fastened themselves over the time, overgrowing it.
Most of the cableties are overgrown in the meantime.

jnarowe,
thank you, I was really suprised comparing the pic on the first page of this thread with the new one. Looking at the different coral and how much the grew in that few months.

NanoCube-boy,
Inside the maintank, I use cutting pliers made of high grade steel (hospital equip.).
Ralf

Back