Tank of the Month - August '06

Hello Ralf

Please think a little about my problem and give me an opinion.
I'm in Rio de Janeiro, a tropical warm city in Brazil. My 130g in-wall is inside a small room with dimensions 67"(L), 35 "(W) and 90 "(H). I'm actually using an old drop-in chiller but it' heating the room. I have to keep the room's door open to let this heat go out but the noise increase and my wife becomes angry. I decide to look for another solution.

1- An in-line 1/3 HP chiller outside the house. Not an expensive solution. I will need some plumbing as the chiller would not be so close the reef. Need a pump. Uses a lot of energy. Perhaps not so efficient because the chiller will be four meters far from de reef.

2- A 7000 BTU split wall ar conditioner from LG. Not expensive but perhaps uses a little more energy than the chiller. Will do well as the reef room is very small.

3- A Deltec ECO-cooler. Very expensive but can save me money as it uses very less energy, but increases evaporation.

4- An Ocean Geotronic cooler model Ocean 600. It's based on Peltier cells. Very expensive too, uses less energy than the chiller, could be placed inside the reef room,very small and low noise.

with your knowledges, what's the best solution ???

Best regards,
Luiz Seadorf

I like the Ocean Geotronic cooler idea, uses less energy and low noise. Though i don't know anything about these stuff, not much, only some, but think about low energy and noise since your wife complain about noise.

Low energy is good for the planet also. Less energy use, mean lesser chance raising global warming and electric bill.

Hi Luiz,
sorry about the late answer.
Hmm, I've no idea, whats best.
Having problems with too wet air in the room, I would personally choose a solution, that also dehumidifies. (split)
Maybe there are cost/engergy effective solutions around, like using the cold cellar and transfer reefwater (or a second cooling cycle with freshwater) there.

Sorry,
Ralf

What an awsome tank.
I too am cureently in northern Germany.
I am only in the starting stages of building my first 'Salty'
Where abouts are you in northern Germany? Would you mind if i picked your mind and contacts for a few sugestions regarding my new aquarium?
Most appreciated
Dino

Hi Dino, *
I was offline for quite a while... thanks for your answers.

@rsdino
We (the reef and me :) are located in Hamburg and would be glad to be helpfull, regarding mind and contacts.
Feel free to write a PM (mail) with further questions, etc.

Ralf

Ralf,

Just wanted to let you know that I absolutely love your reef! I am relatively new to Reef Central, and I have been going through all the Tank of the Months. I came across your this morning, and I have to say that it is the prettiest one of them all! I love the school of Anthias.

Adam

Thank you so much, Adam.
Unfortunately its early in the morning here (at least it's early in the reef) and there are only half of the blue bulbs turned on in this moment.
I took a quick shot of a part of the way too dark and only blue reef.
Pls. excuse the poor image quality.

2007-09-21-blue.jpg

The picture of your tank is very nice. I it remind me that the tank is under the water of the reef. Is that under Antic light?

Back