Tank of the Month - August 2009

John, I am not at all surprised to see your tank as TOTM. It's a shame that pictures can only show so much :)

Congrats and keep up the great work!

so if i read it right you only have 4 powerheads on the non viewable side of the tank nothing eles i have the same style tank in a 75 gal having difficulty finding proper flow for this style more detail on this plz:D my tank will never look like yours but i can dream cant i

so if i read it right you only have 4 powerheads on the non viewable side of the tank nothing eles

Almost...but not exactly. The Tunzes powerheads are all on the non-viewable end, as you say. But the return line from my Eheim 1262 pump is positioned at the front (viewable) end of the tank. It runs through a Wavy Sea oscillating return device which is pointed back towards the powerheads on the non-viewable end. Compared to the Tunzes, the amount flow through that pump is not very much (I am making a guess at around 700gph or so?). But I thnk it helps with randomization of the flow and keeps things moving pretty good.

Congats on your Tank of The Four Months! What an honor to be the first on the new format.
I can't help but agree with all who comment on your last pic.
WOW!
And welcome bank TOTM. Thanks Skipper.

so is there more than one return line on the viewable end of the tank because its on a wave maker i just ask because i really love the way your tank is setup if its not to much to ask could you put up a pic of the top of the tank so i can see how you brought your return line to the front thanks so much very envyous of your tank

congratulation for TOTM,,very very nice tank and very coulorful corals,,graet job,,,just keep on dosing..:)
and,,new looks ,,great job reefkeeping maz,,

so is there more than one return line on the viewable end of the tank because its on a wave maker i just ask because i really love the way your tank is setup if its not to much to ask could you put up a pic of the top of the tank so i can see how you brought your return line to the front

Only one return line. The end of the return sweeps back and forth on the Wavy Sea, so there is little need to bring more than one return line to the front of the tank.

The return plumbing simply goes back up through one of the holes drilled into the overflow, and is then directed along one side of the tank's perimeter bracing using 1" PVC, until it gets to the front. Here is an old picture that might explain it more.

wavysea1.jpg

A couple more views. These are from when the tank was first set up (probably around Jan-Feb '07):

lighting3.jpg

leftside1.jpg

HTH

Last edited:
this is a true TOM compare to the last TOM>>>look like you need a bigger tank now,,,time to upgrade bro

thank you so much for the pics totally understand what you got going on now. very nice and discreat i think i see some changes coming on for my setup thanks again

Back