Tank of the Month - August 2009

Thanks for the info.
450 Ml of 2 parts a day that would have paid for a complete Ca reactor in 2-3 months at the rate I buy Ca and Mg.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15508851#post15508851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by syedjilani
Hi Johns,

I asked a question can I use Calcium Hydroxide instead of Calcium cloride.

For raising calcium? Calcium Hydroxide is Kalkwasser. It will raise your pH and is quite insoluble in water. If you just want to crank up your calcium without affecting pH, you'll need to use calcium chloride.

Con Grats on such a beautiful looking system. Hope some day my little tank grows up to be just like yours.
Thanks for sharing with us your slice of the sea

Congrats John! For me peninsula style is ideal looking. Mine is like that but just 160 gallons less!! Your work is very inspiring to me na d a future project I have.
Thanks and congrats again.
G.

truly wonderful.. and congratulations....

With respect to lighting, what so far has given you the best coloration? I'm very curious to know the answer.

Thanks for sharing, and this is obviously a great testimant to your outstanding husbandry skills!

amazing tank. would love to see any pics of your grow out and plumbing if you have it. many thanks and congrats.

Thanks again everyone!

With respect to lighting, what so far has given you the best coloration? I'm very curious to know the answer.

This might look like a bit of a cop-out, but I find it to be mostly a personal preference sort of thing. I tend to like a slightly bluer look and feel that the it shows the color of my corals more. I have been liking the Radiums that I have been using for about the last year or so. 250W and 400W, both have worked well for me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15509178#post15509178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MalHavoc
For raising calcium? Calcium Hydroxide is Kalkwasser. It will raise your pH and is quite insoluble in water. If you just want to crank up your calcium without affecting pH, you'll need to use calcium chloride.

Thats pretty much what I would say in answer to that. I guess I would add that kalkwasser (Ca hydroxide) is really sort of like a form of balanced 2-part dosing in itself. The chemical breaks down in your water to form both parts (both, Ca and Alk components, if you will). When 2-part dosing using 2 separate solutions, the correct salt to use is Ca chloride.

BTW, if you look through the article you'll notice that I use kalkwasser for my top-off in addition to doing the 2 part dosing using Ca chloride and sodium carbonate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15513889#post15513889 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johns
Thanks again everyone!

This might look like a bit of a cop-out, but I find it to be mostly a personal preference sort of thing. I tend to like a slightly bluer look and feel that the it shows the color of my corals more. I have been liking the Radiums that I have been using for about the last year or so. 250W and 400W, both have worked well for me.

Yeah, I guess that is a bit of a cop-out... LOL... I would have likely done the same thing... so no worries... your insight in general is helpful.

So, in your preference, you're like thing the MH Radiums, at least right now.. more so than the T5's... Reason asking is my tank is switching, from the 92gal to a 180 and I've been looking at the ATI Powermodule's vs MH pendants... It's all about the color for me and your tank has achieved that and more...

BTW, showed your "TOTM" article to my wife tonight, her jaw also dropped... until she saw your scolymia's then started to give me heck because I want to get rid of ours and your's look soooooo amazing that I'm now not allowed to trade mine... :lol:

On that, how did you attach them to a vertical surface????

So, in your preference, you're like thing the MH Radiums, at least right now.. more so than the T5's...

I guess I really should say that I like the look of the MH Radiums and the T5s together. And actually, I do really love the dawn/dusk times on the tank. The time with just the T5s on is some of my favorite viewing time on the tank.

I like the look of all T5 tanks as well. My first 75G reef started that way, and I thought it looked good. And I might give this tank another shot with all T5 again somewhere down the road. If I do, I'd likely go with a Powermodule like you are considering. The one time I tried all T5 on this tank, I did not have a really favorable bulb combination to give it a fair shot.

On that, how did you attach them to a vertical surface????

Again, it's nothing more than super glue. A lot of it.

-Awsome looking tank , Johns :eek1: !!!
and congrats for beying voted as totm .

There`s one thing i don't understand , the po4 number (0.3-0.7)ppm ?
Is this a typing error or is it really that high ?
If so ,then it`s time to increase my po4 levels i think:D
because your tank looks very healthy and algea are non existend.

greetingzz tntneon:)

There`s one thing i don't understand , the po4 number (0.3-0.7)ppm ?
Is this a typing error or is it really that high ?

Good catch, tntneon. Yup, that a typo. You should have been one of the editors! It should have read 0.03 to 0.07. Looks like a minor change, but it's big difference right!?

Sorry about that one.

Hammer

Hammer

How long has your wall hammer been growing? Mine seems to grow super slow. Any hints with food or lighting that you have noticed it improve growth?

How long has your wall hammer been growing? Mine seems to grow super slow. Any hints with food or lighting that you have noticed it improve growth?

About 0 growth rate on that wall hammer. It's among the very first corals I ever purchased and it has looked relatively the same (color and size) for 5+ years. But then, I dont target feed it . I think it gets enough just feeding passively.

I like how that looks, printed the picture to show my wife and to start the begging to do something just like that with my next tank :)

Back