Tank Of The Month - December 2008

What is the annual cost to run the DailySeas....meaning the replacement of filters, etc.?

I replace the membrane every 3 to 4 months. The membrane runs about $55.00. This is dependant on what your exchange rate is. If your exchange rate is low, like 2gal a day, your membrane will last longer. As the membrane ages the water that returns to your aquarium becomes more and more pure RO/DI water as nothing crosses the old membrane. You use up more salt to replace whats lost that way.
The other replacement costs are the same for a typical RO/DI unit, which are dependent on the quality of your tap water.

Have you had cyano or algae issues? If so, how did you deal with them.

Oh my yes, I am well aquainted with cyanobacteria. I will tell you how I control it, but many people will not agree with my conclusions. I had many awful cyano outbreaks. Worse than any I had experienced with my other tanks. I was beginning to think it had something to do with the natural sunlight. Luckily, it did not.
I used all the conventional methods to control it. My nutrient levels (phosphate and Nitrate) were undetectable, yet the cyano thrived. I used commercial chemical treatments. It went away and came back. I exchanged high amounts of water with the dialyseas. No effect. I increased flow. It grew on the tunze powerheads. It mocked me. Then one day I was here on Reef central and I read a post from someone who had just installed a calcium reactor and had a cyano bloom. Then I thought, hmmm CO2? I always had a rather low running pH on my tank, especially at night. So I made a real effort to keep the pH above 8.0 at all times. I think this is the key. Cyano will grow if you have nutrients and higher levels of CO2 (lower pH) for a certain length of time. Since I got the ph up over 8.0all the time I have not had any cyano outbreaks. Rare tiny patches come and go but thats about it. Now this is just my experience and a lot of people will disagree with it, but thats my cyano story.

Also, have you had any browning events with your SPS. If so, what did you do? If not, why do you think your system avoids such events?

Yes to this question too. One of the biggest challenges in the tank is keeping the sps healthy. My biggest problem has been occasional outbreaks of STN and rarely RTN. Somehow (I havn't figured it out yet) I have problems when I change the GFO. The system seems very sensitive to it and I have to add and change the GFO slowly and in very small amounts. The sps darkened considerably when I was heavy feeding the non-photosynthetic corals, but I can't say they browned out. Now that I have nutient levels back where they should be, they look much better.

Sorry for taking so long to post these pics of the tunze 6065 attachments. As you can see , it's pretty encrusted with coraline but you should be able to get an idea of what it looks like. I have a screw that goes through the side of the PVC encap and through the wavysea. This is not a necessity, as the endcap will fit pretty snuggly on it's own but I wanted to make sure it would not fall off. Murphys law you know.
3140mini-IMG_1532.JPG

3140mini-IMG_1531.JPG

When you get the Tunze, it comes with everything you need except the endcap. Once you get the endcap, drill a hole in the bottom to accomadate the screw and bolt and your in buisness.

Humidity

Humidity

reefkeeper2,
I read as to the funnels to control humidity. Is there something you have hook to the tubing on the funnels to suck the air out.
I ask I my my have missed reading or seeing anything helping to push it outside. I like to do that and help my dehumidifier I have my tanks in the finished basement. Also from were you live with air coming in how do you deal with the winter air when its very cold as now.

The air pressure from the skimmers is enough to push the air out through the tubing.The funnels fit very snug so there is no where else for the air to go but out. The cold air coming in has no effect that I can see. I think that by the time it makes its way from outside through the tubing to the skimmer, it's probably warmed to near room temperature.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13965025#post13965025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
The air pressure from the skimmers is enough to push the air out through the tubing.The funnels fit very snug so there is no where else for the air to go but out. The cold air coming in has no effect that I can see. I think that by the time it makes its way from outside through the tubing to the skimmer, it's probably warmed to near room temperature.

Reefkeeper,
I see about the funnels air pressure what happens if skimmer has a problem and over flows the cup?
Sorry but I was talking about the fresh air to upstairs to the durso pipe from the cold air coming in and cooling the water down in the winter and make the heater run more.

A little late with the congrats, but better late than never.

I have always been a big fan of your tank Reefkeeper2. Well done on the TOTM, well deserved. I really dig the environment surrounding the tank, it is really breathtaking to say the least.

Thank you for sharing it with us here on RC.

I see about the funnels air pressure what happens if skimmer has a problem and over flows the cup?

It just kind of bubbles in the funnel. The air rises and still goes out. I have had to clean the funnel a couple times when that happened. As for the dursos, it's a long trip from my basement window up through floor and through the chase in the tank. The outside air must be room temp by the time it gets there.

PaintGuru, Bigben and JRaquatics, thank you.:thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13972110#post13972110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
It just kind of bubbles in the funnel. The air rises and still goes out. I have had to clean the funnel a couple times when that happened. As for the dursos, it's a long trip from my basement window up through floor and through the chase in the tank. The outside air must be room temp by the time it gets there.

PaintGuru, Bigben and JRaquatics, thank you.:thumbsup:

thank you Paul it will get ideas to help with the co2 to raise the ph on my tanks.

The little 11watt exhaust fan also made a big difference with the tank pH. There was no air circulation down in the sump area, so the CO2 levels must have been high in that confined space. Now air flows through that area and out. I thought that I might have to turn it off in the winter, but that has not been necessary.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13976312#post13976312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
The little 11watt exhaust fan also made a big difference with the tank pH. There was no air circulation down in the sump area, so the CO2 levels must have been high in that confined space. Now air flows through that area and out. I thought that I might have to turn it off in the winter, but that has not been necessary.

I see you have four steel floor posts that is a good idea for me also if I move my tank up stairs the floor will not take the weight.
I put a line to the outside air for the skimmers I see a difference with the PH. Where in the picture is the line for air coming in to the sump? I see the line to the skimmers coming in. The line from the funnels and fan going out.

OK that will help also with the exhaust fan. Before you but the fan in did the walls sweat?
Why do you have sump and all raised and not on the basement floor. Also may I ask the walls in the basement look that they are not insulated that is why you have it on the sump and brute is for that the basement is cold. I know my basement was cold and damp before I insulated the concrete walls, ceiling and but plastic for moisture barrier now it is 70 in winter and summer and cut my heat and cooling bill. People do not know there is a lot of moisture coming out of those walls and heat and cooling lost.

Last edited:
There is no line of air coming into the sump. Only the skimmers and dursos upstairs have air plumbed in. The area of the sump has only one window, and is a new extension of the rest of my basement. The air in there would be stagnant if I didn't have the fan above the sump blowing air out .
Yes, the walls did sweat some in that area before I installed the fan, but no longer. The basement is warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. However, insulating the walls would be good idea. It is a large basement though. Your only seeing about one fifth of it.
The sump is raised to reduce the head on the main pump. Also if there is a spill, water could seep under the sump or equipment where I could not adequately clean it up.

Dialyseas

Dialyseas

Do you use aquarium salt to make the brine solution for the Dialyseas machine? The reason I ask, is that if you do, I would assume that precipitation of calcium carbonate would be an issue in the brine solution. Do you know if this is an issue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13982253#post13982253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
There is no line of air coming into the sump. Only the skimmers and dursos upstairs have air plumbed in. The area of the sump has only one window, and is a new extension of the rest of my basement. The air in there would be stagnant if I didn't have the fan above the sump blowing air out .
Yes, the walls did sweat some in that area before I installed the fan, but no longer. The basement is warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. However, insulating the walls would be good idea. It is a large basement though. Your only seeing about one fifth of it.
The sump is raised to reduce the head on the main pump. Also if there is a spill, water could seep under the sump or equipment where I could not adequately clean it up.

As you said raise the equipment will make easy to clean up also it is good for your back.
Thank you for your time and ideas this will help me.

Simply amazing set-up and that room is really sweet as well.....Very peaceful, the tank only adds to that. I bet your blood pressure drops dramatically just sitting there watching your tank....Congrats on the TOTM....

Do you use aquarium salt to make the brine solution for the Dialyseas machine? The reason I ask, is that if you do, I would assume that precipitation of calcium carbonate would be an issue in the brine solution. Do you know if this is an issue.

Yes, I use regular aquarium salt. There is some precipitaion on the walls of the salt tank, soI clean it once a year or so. It's not an issue with the tank alkalinity that I have noticed.

Azurel and jacobterrell, thank you very much! Fishtk75, your very welcome.

backup power

backup power

Paul,
I forgot to ask what is the true sine wave converter?
Is it automatic from house power to battery power also does it charge the battery you have setting there? were did you get it. I need to look at this as the weather is changing and it when off 3 times this year.

Back