Tank Of The Month - January 2009

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139233#post14139233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lukinrats
Wow!!! I love your tank... I have a smaller tank, and so it always seems like the LARGE tanks that seem to get TOTM, are just out of my league... I always feel like there is not much about those systems that I can employ in mine, and that is usually the case

I have just one question... Does your butterfly not give you any problems about eating your corals... I want to get one of the ones that supposedly eat Majanos... The only reason that I hesitate is that people are always saying they will eat corals too!

Later,
NathanS

Yeah I was really happy to see a smaller tank get selected! ; ) I would like to see some smaller tanks in the future too so it's up to you guys now.

No problems with the butterfly. It is very hard to find one that eats frozen food so be very careful at the fish store and don't buy one unless you see it eat something other then live brine shrimp. I waited a long time for this one and i found it from another reefer that had him in his display so I knew he was good to go. He is my favorite fish and follows me around the tank, in fact it was difficult for me to take those pics from him being in the way all the time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139457#post14139457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cutegecko3
WOW!!!! Thats the nicest tort. colony i've ever seen.

Congrats.

Thank you very much! The tort is my baby. It was one of the first ORA frags to go in the display 4 years ago. I put it in the middle to be one of the show piece corals and it has grown into that : )

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139696#post14139696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by B.C.theReefer
I love the montipora "pizza" idea. I've dome something similar with two colors of m. digitata. I've got orange and yellow branches all growing together. The giant blue acro is amazing too. Nice work.

Yeah I got some more ideas for these two montis of mine that I'm going to be doing here very shortly.

nice looking 90g tank.....
Is nice to see a very well stablished tank......
with what a real Hobbiest is all about.
keeping it simple.

Congrats Emmett, this was a long time coming. You deserve it. Now it's time to get that larger tank you have been thinking about.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14140200#post14140200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gulfstream
nice looking 90g tank.....
Is nice to see a very well stablished tank......
with what a real Hobbiest is all about.
keeping it simple.

Thanks gulfstream - great name btw. Yeah I tried to keep it simple so thanks for noticing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14140223#post14140223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boydx6
Congrats Emmett, this was a long time coming. You deserve it. Now it's time to get that larger tank you have been thinking about.

Thanks Stephen! Can't wait to get that bigger tank but still a year or two away. For now I'm just going to have to drool over in the large tank forum ; )

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14140270#post14140270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maximiliun
Congratulations Emmet,

You and your sistem realy deserve the first TOTM of the Year !!!

Regards,

MAX

Thats quite a compliment! Thanks so much I'm glad you liked it. I really tried to include everything I could think of that I have learned over the years to try and help people have more success with their tanks.

Thank you very much TheReefkeeper!

Rcypert - I'm guessing but probably around 6 months. It's been grown from a 1/2" frag. I got it from a friend that has had it in his tank for years and grows like crazy(he calls it his weed) His is one of the most impressive corals I have seen. I do not recommend buying these unless they are tank raised.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14140865#post14140865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
Congrats Emmett!

I've admired your tank for some time now.....well deserved:D

Chris

Thanks fishdoc! I have to say I have admired your tank too ; )

I also noticed that, its the cleanest sand I have ever seen for the age it is. How the heck do you keep it clean like that?

my 90 gallon is falling apart after 4 years cause the dsb is just causing too many hair algea growth out of control.

What a fantastic reef. A very well thought out medly of corals. I am a monti cap fanatic and will be definitly playing with the monti mozaic idea!

Congratulations!

Jay

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14141278#post14141278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bedeq
I also noticed that, its the cleanest sand I have ever seen for the age it is. How the heck do you keep it clean like that?

my 90 gallon is falling apart after 4 years cause the dsb is just causing too many hair algea growth out of control.

I stir the sand at the front by the glass about once or twice a month to keep it looking white. I don't do anything to the other parts of the sand bed.

kfisc - The 90 is a great tank, I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. Hope yours does well for you

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14141387#post14141387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jbird69
What a fantastic reef. A very well thought out medly of corals. I am a monti cap fanatic and will be definitly playing with the monti mozaic idea!

Congratulations!

Jay

Yeah I got some more playing around to do with mine too. Thank you for the kind words:thumbsup:

congrats, great tank. totm is a huge accomplishment, even more when u do it with only 90gallons to work with. great job

Back