Tank Of The Month - January 2009

I think you are gonna be a huge inspiration to us regular folk with 90gal and similar small reefs. Really nice. You've mastered this hobby. I'd donate to your next tank just to see what you'd do.

Why do you have 5 emerald crabs? I just noticed I have a bubble algae.. first in a couple years. I would probably get 1 or 2 and see if I could put them right on the algae. But I wouldn't want them to starve or go after my small fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14141532#post14141532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefermike1
congrats, great tank. totm is a huge accomplishment, even more when u do it with only 90gallons to work with. great job

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14141599#post14141599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SCIFI_3D_zoo
I think you are gonna be a huge inspiration to us regular folk with 90gal and similar small reefs. Really nice. You've mastered this hobby. I'd donate to your next tank just to see what you'd do.

Why do you have 5 emerald crabs? I just noticed I have a bubble algae.. first in a couple years. I would probably get 1 or 2 and see if I could put them right on the algae. But I wouldn't want them to starve or go after my small fish.

I'm so happy i can be an inspiration, it's nice to be able to help. That makes it worth it right there.

I buy emerald crabs because I believe they eat the very tiny(just born) bubble algae. I have never seen them eat the bubble algae that you can actually see. You will have to pick those out by hand.

Great job! :thumbsup:

I knew your tank would be TOTM eventually, it had to be.

Keep up the great work and welcome to the club. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14142109#post14142109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
excellent work!
great husbandry !

Well deserved!

gasman059 - thank you so much for the compliments it really means a lot.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14142288#post14142288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
Great job! :thumbsup:

I knew your tank would be TOTM eventually, it had to be.

Keep up the great work and welcome to the club. ;)

SunnyX - Thanks so much! Really means a lot coming from you. Thank you so much for voting for me.

congrats emmet... gives me hope to think another 90gallon (like me :) ) can earn this high honor. really quickly, what coral is this on the left? it's nuts:

IMG_1609SM.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14142369#post14142369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by microbubbles
congrats emmet... really quickly, what coral is this?

IMG_1609SM.jpg

That is a 20,000 leagues lokani and the one under that is a Tyree blue chalice

doesn't stirring a dsb cause the toxins to be released into your tank?

sorry for all the questions

Congrats. Very happy to see a smaller tank earn the TOTM!

Kind of ironic that a buddy and I were talking about those Monti Caps on Friday and TOTM now!

Good job and awesome tank.

Can you tell us a bit more about the skimmer? How did you make the "cone" part? Pics of the build by chance?

Ditto on all the comments about being happy a smaller tank got selected, and it's certainly a deserving one. It's really nice to see so many things that the average aquarists can do applied so well. I'm sure your tank will give a lot of aquarists on here motivation rather than just being written off as a pipe dream like I'm sure many TOTM's are. Congrats and well done Emmett!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14142557#post14142557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bedeq
doesn't stirring a dsb cause the toxins to be released into your tank?

sorry for all the questions

Thats okay about the questions I don't mind it at all. I just stir the sand bed at the glass(moving the rod along the glass) only with a carbon rod. Yes that would be a bad idea to stir the rest of the sand.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143375#post14143375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Phillybean
Congrats. Very happy to see a smaller tank earn the TOTM!

Kind of ironic that a buddy and I were talking about those Monti Caps on Friday and TOTM now!

Good job and awesome tank.

Can you tell us a bit more about the skimmer? How did you make the "cone" part? Pics of the build by chance?

Thanks eb8919 and Phillybean!

The skimmer was not built by me, its was built by a friend that lives in this area. If you want to see some that are very similar just do a search on I-Tech skimmers for the thread. I can also get the link if you need it just LMK

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143721#post14143721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
Ditto on all the comments about being happy a smaller tank got selected, and it's certainly a deserving one. It's really nice to see so many things that the average aquarists can do applied so well. I'm sure your tank will give a lot of aquarists on here motivation rather than just being written off as a pipe dream like I'm sure many TOTM's are. Congrats and well done Emmett!

Peter - Thank you for the response, so glad to be of help to the average reefer. It really doesn't have to be so complicated, I actually think all the time how I could of made my tank simpler. IMO it's actually pretty easy to grow corals as long as you got the basics down...

Right lighting(not too much and not to little)
Stable parameters

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143945#post14143945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drewid
congrats, a truely wonderful tank of the month.. well done!!

Thank you so much from my reef keeping friend in Australia! Ain't the internet great!

CONGRATULATIONS Emmet !!!!!!! :)
Sure thing this tank deserves the tittle TOTM!
I really like to see tanks like yours to run with so little equipment and in limited space with such a success !!!

One other thing could you give us the link where we can learn about your skimmer?

Once again CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14144129#post14144129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teo reef
CONGRATULATIONS Emmet !!!!!!! :)
Sure thing this tank deserves the tittle TOTM!
I really like to see tanks like yours to run with so little equipment and in limited space with such a success !!!

One other thing could you give us the link where we can learn about your skimmer?

Once again CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Sure here it is just found it and thanks for the kudos:thumbsup:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1536745

Back