Tank of the Month - July 2007

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Flanque â€"œ The pictures have been taken with a Nikon D70 with the standard 18-70 mm lens. I’ve used a Tamron 90mm macro lens for most of the close ups, and a Nikon 105mm on a few of them. White balance have been measured by holding the camera against the aquarium with a coffee filter in between. I usually prefer manual or aperture mode for the still shots, and shutterspeed priority for the pictures of the fish. The still shots have been taken with a tripod and the self timer to avoid shaking, and for the close ups I just hold the camera against the aquarium.

ghostrida3 â€"œ The pumps are on each side of the overflow. The wall between the stand and canopy have been extended to cover the overflow and pumps, so the pumps can't be seen while looking at the aquarium from the sides. You can see them on this picture http://www.cowfish.info/content/900 liter/Oppsett 900 liter/1710.jpg

42un81 â€"œ I got one thread with some pictures in the photo section. It’s the same as Skipper posted above.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1077390&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

i2ik â€"œ The stand is a custom built steel frame, and the woodwork is 12 mm MDF.

A Very Nice Tank Rudi

A Very Nice Tank Rudi

Wow Rudi what a nice SPS dominated Tank My Hats off to you for being so good with the angelfish I have never been so lucky.
I like the ideas you went with to minimize noise and the ideas with the bathroom fans is really a great idea as well. As for the short supply of SPS in Norway it looks like you are able to help fix that!
Again great tank and congratulations on your tank of the month!
Jeff

Absolutely Stunning. I hope you realize what a great accomplishment you've made and wish you continued success!

Very well thought out design and implementation.....just an amazing tank/work of art:D

Congrats on TOTM, well deserved!

Chris

Your tank is absolutely beautiful. I would love to have a 3-sided viewing.

Great looking tank, wonderfull job on it.

I noted that you have had to remove a number of angel fish and tangs from your tank due to nipping. How did you go about removing the fish. I love angel fish, but have been nervous about adding them to a tank, only to have to remove most of the rock to get them out later.

Lockes â€"œ As far as I know you can only get readings over the web by a third party software, no option to change the settings. Regarding the SMS module it only works with som older mobiles which isn’t produced anymore.

UrbanSage â€"œ I’m not that fond of hermits as they tend to climb into the corals and get stuck. I’ve added a few to get some diversity, and I do think they look cool. Besides, for some strange reason, “that cute little hermit crawling in the sand” is usually one of the first things non-aquarists notices.

Polwick â€"œ The tank is placed in the living room next to the tv couch so I wanted it to be dead silent. By putting all the equipment in a room downstairs, and installing a durso standpipe and som very quiet fans, the only thing hearable when sitting next to it is a low humming sound coming from the tunze pumps.

Meschaefer - I got two size of traps that I use depending on the fish. I put the trap in the tank, and every time I feed the fish, the food is placed inside the trap. Within 1-3 days even the most shy fish will go inside for a snack. With a little patience I've had no problems getting the fish out. No luck with firefish, anthias and clownfish though. Here is a picture of the small trap: http://www.cowfish.info/content/325 liter/bilder/_DSC5270w.jpg

Thx again all for the positive feedback :)

Rudi

what is the black material you used on outside? did you have to do anything to it to make it black, or did it come like that?

i wish i would seen your tank about 2 weeks ago, i just spent $115 on some black acrylic. its gonna look sweet, but its expensive.

Last edited:
Congratulations, A very inspirational tank. truly pretty tank. Quick question, I never saw anyone running the Deltec calcium reactor with ARM media, what made you change from the recommended Rowalith media? thanks in advance

Rogger

Great tank!!!
How do you manage to keep constant values with the calcium reactor while changing the ph inside?
I am afraid you will soon have to remove also the navarchus angel, as it wakes up one morning starting eating sps corals,so be prepared!!!Thank you for shearing info!!

Rudi, your tank is beautiful. I especially like the minimalist approach in the design; your eye is immediately drawn to the tank, as well it should be. I love the looks of these kinds of tanks as the focus is entirely on the aquarium itself and not some overly embellished stand or canopy. Simple, yet gorgeous. Thank you for sharing!

Hey I just wanted to say that your tank is stunning. And I'm not one of those people who drops in on every TOTM thread and says that either. You truly had a plan and stuck to it, and the whole aquarium (even the room its in) comes together as one nice piece of artwork.

I love the aquascape, the amount of growth, and the overall look of the tank now. I wanted to suggest that you do not let the corals get out of hand and crowd the tank, and dont let the two reef structures grow together. Some more growth is okay, but dont let the whole tank fill in... it's appeal is the open space, the cleanliness, and the lack of clutter.

Back