Tank of the Month - July 2007

Con graduation on totm, you deserved it for this month. :beer: I like your cool 3 view side because it makes me feel like I' m in the ocean.:fish1:

What kind of material you had cover the bottom, and top of your tank?
1650.jpg

Agoutihead â€"œ It’s 12mm MDF (medium density fibreboard) painted with grey color.

Rogger Castells â€"œ When I started using a calcium reactor, ARM was the only media my LFS had in stock. I heard many recommend it so I havent thought about changing.

Tasos â€"œ The ph in the calcium reactor is lowered while kalkwasser is added, that makes the values in the aquarium stay constant.

NanoCube-boy â€"œ It’s 12 mm MDF.

I have removed a lot of live rock and corals since the aquarium initially was setup in september last year, and its really hard not to add "just one more coral”, but im trying to
stick with the original plan, and that makes it rewarding getting such a good response. Thx again.

Very nice set up which is made even more beautiful with your decor. Everything flows so well throughout your home. The photo of your daughter speaks volumes for keeping a reef tank! My grandchildren love to come over and look into my two SW tanks with the magnifying glass. And they always notice when I have added something new.

Your photos are spectacular and I especially like the ones of your dragonet fish. The one with the black background is gorgeous! All of your inhabitants are very pretty and healthy looking.

Could you elaborate on what techniques you used for making the images? They are just great!

I love your little clams. Will they stay on the substrate or will you move them to the live rock at a later date?

Beautiful setup and home!

Susie

phocuz: How have you connected the 12 mm. MDF with the steelframe in the celling? Have you made som kind of put on/take off mekanism?

sweet tank

sweet tank

love the modern minimal look, congrats.
future plans why not sell the tunze and get Hydor Koralia 4's (1200 GPH) ? can buy them here for $50 a piece.

I had the d70s and moved on the d200 love it. great pictures and technique , great lenses. the 105 is a vr? coffee filter may work but I like a plastic white bottle top in the water, I also use my flash the 500 and bounce it off my hammertone reflectors

like the trap idea I have to get rid of a pair of huge wrasses (elephant and eclipse) they have eaten all the snails and sandsifters. the food you feed is floating how do you do it?

copperbands ever considered?

again great stuff. Steve Toronto, Ont.

I just wanna say, what a beautiful tank you have. It's tanks like yours that makes me want to get back into the hobby. Great job, looks beautiful.

SLODEN53 - Thx. I wrote how I do the shots in my first reply. In addition, I do some cropping and minimal adjustments in photoshop. If you look in the photo section in the forum, theres lots of tips and tricks on how to improve photos. One of the clams is directly on the sand, the other two are attached to small flat rocks hidden under the sand. Ill probably keep them in the sand in case i want to move them later on.

Lomholt â€"œ The frame in the ceiling is wood and the mdf attached with screws. The MDF at the bottom are connected to the steelframe with some kind of metal band with lots of holes in it. I didnt build it myself, and I dont know the english technical term for it :)

piscies75 â€"œ Thx. Its a Nikon 105mm VR. I havent had the time to try it out much, but it looks like a really good lens. Getting a macro lens really opened up a whole new world to taking photos of the corals. The D200 is on my wishlist. If I ever get a bigger aquarium a copperband will probably be on the stocking list, but at the moment theres no room for additional fish. I will probably change the naso if it ever gets totally rid of the bubble algae. It eats like a pig, and really polutes the water. The large tunze pumps have flowrate of 5283 gph, and the medium ones 3170 gph. Changing them for koralia 4’s 1200 gph would be a drastically downgrade in flow. The automatic feeder is built in the canopy at a little height. That makes the pellets gain enough speed to break through the water instead of floating. I soak the flake food in aquarium water for half a minute before feeding.

Thx again :)

Beautiful! Love the openness of your tank.

Where in oslo are you? I might have to pay a visit (christmas) next time I'm in town! The wife's from Snaroyva.

Keep up the good work! ;)

very nice looking. i like the idea of using the tank as a "wall" separator. giving me ideas for my house. too bad we don't have basements in Texas.

Incredible setup! I especially like the design, it complements the area of realestate to work with.

I'm not sure if someone asked you this already, but is this tank on a second floor? I thought I saw the outside of your window and it looks somewhat raised.

You have an awesome tank by the way.

Back