Tank of the Month - July 2007

MikeG â€"œ Sure, I live in Grefsen, its about a twenty minutes drive from snaryøya.

Cesar357 â€"œ The tank is on the second floor. The house has been thoroughly reinforced to handle the weight.

Damsel13 â€"œ I keep a shallow sand for the look of it. I have a few sandsifting stars, cerith snails and two fighting conch that do a good jobb cleaning it. Even though I switched from Carbib Sea Fiji Pink to Special Grade with larger grain size, I still have problems keeping an even sand bed. The goldflake is one of my favorites, the pictures really doesnt do justice to the colors of this fish.

Its been a rainy summer here in Norway so far, so Ive had some time to work on the tank. The smallest tunze pumps have been upgraded to 3,170 gph. That really made quite a difference. I think i made up my mind regarding the lights, and going for Lumenarc III Mini Stealth DE with 400 watts Giesemann 14,5k bulbs or XM 20K. Ive tried the 250 watts XM before and they really made the corals glow. Anyone know if the 400 watts XM 20K is whiter than the 250 version ?

Ive been noticing some of my corals looked damaged in the morning, so I put up a red light and kept the tank under observation. Big surprise. A worm at least 24 inches came crawling out from the rocks. Ive managed to get a hold of it, but unfortunately it split.

DSC_3998w.jpg

Cesar357 â€"œ The tank is on the second floor. The house has been thoroughly reinforced to handle the weight.

Oh wow. I was worried about placing a 60g tank on a second floor. That's awesome.

Great job! I remember seeing your tank a while back as remembering the cowfish domain name. What an interesting great turn you have made from the previous tank.

Keep up the good work! Your corals are growing at a great rate and be ready to start chopping some of those down. ;)

"Ive been noticing some of my corals looked damaged in the morning, so I put up a red light and kept the tank under observation. Big surprise. A worm at least 24 inches came crawling out from the rocks. Ive managed to get a hold of it, but unfortunately it split."

Check this out from oregonreef.com http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

Your tank is beautiful. I have a couple of quick questions. I went to your website and I only see 2 of the Tunzes. Where are the others? I really would like to do a room divider like you did. I love the fact you cannot see any equipment in the tank. =) That is what I am shooting for. Do you have any close ups of how you managed to hide those Tunzes? Thank you. Very inspirational!

NanoCube-boy â€"œ I have A.R.M aragonite reactor media in the calcium reactor and E.S.V. Calcium Hydroxide in the kalkwasser mixer.

invincible569 - Thx. I was reading your new build thread the other day. I loved the open look of your old tank, and the new one is just amazing.

Antiguan â€"œ It looks a lot like the one Steve Weast had. I guess they are into SPS too. No luck catching it yet.

MarineGirl411 â€"œ I have two tunzes on each side of the overflow. The pumps at the bottom are Tunze Stream 6100 3,170 g/h, and the pumps at the top are 6200 5,283 g/h.
Im running them in pulse mode 50 â€"œ 80%.

DSC_4209w800.jpg

DSC_4220w800.jpg

Very beautiful tank, I have a question. Your tank dimention is 200 cm L x 75 cm W x 60 H cm and use four Tunze Stream pumps controlled by a Tunze Multicontroller: 2 x 20,000 liters/hour and 2 x 7,000 liters/hour. The pumps are installed on each side of the overflow, is it good position for pump? ( normally, two pumps are installed at the same side and two in opposite )
Thanks,

2 of the Tunzes. Where are the others? I really would like to do a room divider like you did. I love the fact you cannot see any equipment in the tank. =) That is what I am shooting for. Do you have any close ups of how you managed to hide those Tunzes? Thank you. Very inspirational!

Witoon â€"œ I placed all the pumps in one side to make viewing of the aquarium free of any equipment. It would be better to spread them at opposite sides.

One of the most stylish tanks I have ever seen, congratulations!

What are you using between the stand and the floor and between the aquarium and stand?

Do you notice a big difference when using optiwhite glass? I am planning a similar tank and I assume the difference would be quite big when viewing through two glasses of this thickness.

Heja Norge :) !

The Cardinal â€"œ Thx. The stand is placed on MDF. On top of the stand Ive used depron isolation plate > mdf > depron isolation plate to even out the surface. The optiwhite glass is definitely worth the extra cash. In combination with the use of ozone the clearity when looking through the aquarium is amazing.

If you look at this picture you can see the difference. The support bracers are made with regular glass.
http://www.cowfish.info/content/900 liter/Oppsett 900 liter/1100.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10465519#post10465519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phocuz
The Cardinal â€"œ Thx. The stand is placed on MDF. On top of the stand Ive used depron isolation plate > mdf > depron isolation plate to even out the surface. The optiwhite glass is definitely worth the extra cash. In combination with the use of ozone the clearity when looking through the aquarium is amazing.

If you look at this picture you can see the difference. The support bracers are made with regular glass.
http://www.cowfish.info/content/900 liter/Oppsett 900 liter/1100.jpg

Thank you, I think I will go for optiwhite now and I bet the difference is even greater when you see it live.

Do you have a norwegian (or swedish :D ) word for depron isolation plate and where did you buy it? Is that the material you used under the stand on top of the MDF as well (the white squares)? It looks like a solid solution. Also, what paint did you use on the stand and MDF?

If you could share some info on the stand it would be great as well. I guess it is iron and not aluminium?

I hope you don´t mind all the questions and keep up the good work!

/Peter

The Cardinal - No prob. Feel free to ask. Its "Depron isolasjon til bruk under parkett ". I bought it at my local hardware store Maxbo. If you google "depron isolasjon" you will find a lot of info. I have used metal brackets between the mdf plate and the stand to level it. The stand is made of steel. I actually used an aluminium stand first, but after filling it up halfway, I took it down because it was unstable . It was painted when I picked it up at my LFS, so Im not sure what kind of paint it is. The mdf plates are painted with Gjøco fashion 15.

kev apsley - I think they are great. Great color and great growth. Best of both worlds. I've tried a number of 20k and 14k bulbs before switching to Giesemann, and this
is by far the best bulb I've tried.

Excellent tank and stunning photos, Rudi.

I feel lucky to have seen your tank "live" and I can't wait to see it with your new Lumenarc reflectors

Gisle :)

Gisle,

[welcome]

It took you 3.5 years to post for the very first time. You have a lot of self-control. :D

Back