Tank of the Month - June 2012

Do you have to make up some water sometimes... once a year at least?... to account for any evaporation, salt-creep... thus causing a drop in salinity.

Whatever it is it does not look like one of the high-end skimmers that TOTM's usually have.. ones that end up being the back-bone of filtration for their system. There is a little bit of a language barrier I guess. Earlier I thought you said you did have a "fake" skimmer... just the housing with bio-balls in it. So it's a skimmer, generic one I guess, and there are bio-balls that are under water in the bottom of the skimmer? My old wet/dry they were suspended in the air with water dripping over them. I think I threw all that stuff away years ago. I have AquaC skimmer and it's not very good. I'd rank it average.

Last time I saw something this colorful was a Zeovit system.. and those are very high maintenance. Add drops of this and that every day, every other day. Ridiculous. I've been messing with Prodibio but it has not made anything great happen on it's own. I have flow and lighting problems though.

SO.. you have 2 half cone skimmers... top right one is the bio-ball one and other bottom one is acting like a real skimmer? Bio-balls only in one?

One thing you don't have are some Refugium pics. WOW.. looks like your ceramic and gromax stuff is just put in a tupperware plastic bowl. It's so simple it's almost insane. Just throw it in there... throw some bio-balls in skimmer... done. Those red plastic bowls... what is below that? Another DSB?

Maybe Randy or somebody could do a full analysis on your "mountain water" but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with it. Discussing it with other people here and they all have crazy ideas like .. some mountain goat must be urinating in the water, some special chemical, etc. NAH. Your water is either 0 TDS or very low TDS... and nothing else special.. but I'd still be interested in a test. BY the way... you have a Rowaphos reactor just to house BIO-BALLs right? You are NOT using GFO or other media like that to remove metals, or phosphates right?

i only have one half cone skimmer.. i do not have any phosphate remover. i think i would say this is not rowaphos reactor but my DIY 4'' PVC skimmer as bio-balls reactor (my wet/dry filtration).
About test my freshwater, i hope i could test at my lab but not promise this year.
my salinity tank never drop from 1.025, i never add saltwater since the first set up

filtration2.jpg

and

filtration1.jpg

*SCIFI_3D_zoo... may i know your tank spec especially about filtration and lighting? :)

jadendo WOW...WOW...WOW!!! I am such a big fan of the no WC. However this is extreme! I could never figure out how such a simple system is so successful.

Letter2No... Would you be so kind and show us your dosing routine, please..

Also for my education, please tell me the generic form of these addictives and where I can find them..

Calcium Cloride (???)
Magnisium Cloride/Sulfate (???)
Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate (Baking soda..yes i know this one)

Thank you so much... You are my idol!
@jadendo... thank you for your compliment...:)
CaCl2, MgCl2, MgSO4 (epsom salt) i think bulk reef supply have good quality of this product.

Haksar Stunning tank,I was there in Jakarta a few days back.Wish I had seen your TOTM thread earlier I would have been lucky to have a glimpse of your tank.
@haksar... thank you. really? but you should travel to Jogjakarta by plane and by bus to go to Magelang. :)

fewponds How high is located LED lamp over the water surface?
ehmm +/- 20 cm from the water.

So is that a generic skimmer or some name brand? It does make a difference to me. There's a big difference between skimmers out there. SO I'm curious if that's just some generic no-name skimmer. Would not surprise if it is. I'm too shocked by what I'm reading to be shocked any more.

You don't run any sorta CARBON in a bag or reactor either right? I was thinking if there was anything in your "mountain water" this could help remove it. I just hope nothing gets in your water. That would suck. An RO/DI system, trash can/holders, filters can be another small investment.

Now I remember it... years ago I did advise people I was using simple wet/dry bio-balls and said it was fine based on my experience for a simple reef tank with softies etc. It performed just as well as what I have now actually with much more expensive equipment. I have other issues with flow and lighting keeping me from getting into SPS.

Link to pics:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6160
Link to specs:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2161826
I was trying to sell my system to go bigger and redo it from scratch b/c my LFS told me it was just not a good stand for lighting (can't control height and no room), sump too hard to get to, not setup for good flow, etc. I don't think anybody is going to buy it. Not much happening after 2+ months. And I don't want to part it out. I have live corals and fish so I can't sell ... just the sump.. what somebody asked today.

Like I said my bio-balls were suspended in air on a tray so water could run over the balls. Are they just submerged in your DIY skimmer?

That's a good question too.... how high... do you adjust your light height levels at all? Especially the LED... does it even matter.

your tank looks great. i'm very new to the hobby and my tank is being taken over by red algee, how did you get rid of it in your orginal tank?

Hey Letter2no !!

By the way do you CREE Leds lights installed ??

Regards
Fernando Chang
@Fernando, i don't install Cree but use luxeon led.

@SCIFI3D_zoo : i don't adjust my lighting height but i adjust my voltage to my led. This is my way to predict how is my lighting over or not to my corals.

Nunny your tank looks great. i'm very new to the hobby and my tank is being taken over by red algee, how did you get rid of it in your orginal tank?
@Nunny... do you use DSB in your main tank?

@cmabrey75...@redgator...@faceman...@kinkylizard
@4f1hmi.....@T Man...@andrewey....@jazzaero
@Thiago Marini....@bigtslape...@newyork_redneck
all.... thank you for your comment.... :)

Back