Tank of the Month - March 2005

Congrats bro, very well deserved.

I have the pleasure of viewing the tank in person and it is stunning :eek1: :eek1: :eek2: :eek2:

Excellent write up and love the photos. :thumbsup:

Well done :celeb3:

As deserving of TOTM as this one is, I am that much more enamored of your previous tank, the 30gal...

Either way, there is no denying your beautiful artistry and husbandry my friend.

Another big thank you for all the kind words! I'm delighted and at the same time truly honoured to share and discuss my tank with you.;)

rjwilson, while lights and flow play a part, I believe stable and optimal water parameters are key to getting good growth. That said, random flow around the corals is equally important.

FastUno, I personally have not tried the Tek T5 reflectors and fixtures although an LFS here carries them. I noticed the reflectors did not have the same mirror finish coating as the ATI's and they did not rest directly on the bulbs for maximum reflectivity. However, the reflectors and bulbs are very closely packed with the Tek and that's good. Could I have gotten similar results... perhaps, it's hard to say, I'd need to test both in a controlled environment.

Scarab, thanks bro! For the encouragement and support too. And of course, the frags from your super-millepora colonies... the rasberry and sunset are simply awesome!!:D

Cecil, thank you my friend. :)

Danano.... your tank is awesome and a big inspiration to me personally too!

Well deserving, your RC TOTM award!

Frags on you soon? ;)

What bulb sequence do you use?
On your full aquarium shot the lighting looks intense, while on your other shots it looks more blueish. Is this camera setting or full/partial light setting?

Amazing... I blame RC for not making your tank TOTM earlier and helping me decide to do T5 instead of MH. Im happy with MH, but I think I should have gone T5.

Ludwigia, ever thought of supplementing your MH with T5s? That way, you'd get the best of both worlds but also more heat and higher energy consumption.

FastUno, bulb sequence is as follows:
AB-BP-AB-AB-BP-AB-AB-BP
(AB - Aquablue Special; BP - Blue Plus)
Pics were taken with all lights on. Some were slightly underexposed (aperture setting) to avoid washed out pics.

wow danano, just read through the TOTM write up and...wow. very nice tank, by far my favorite TOTM that i've seen ( no offense to any past TOTM winners:thumbsup: )
you've got me debating between T-5's and MH for my new tank now.

congrats on the TOTM.

Last edited:
Danano,
Many congrats.. a well deserved accolade, great to read and see your tank again.

I mentioned this to Danano in another thread but would like to ask again. Do you think the even light is what makes the t5s work. I know my 400 is great right under it and peters out the further away you get.

Back