Tank of the Month - May '06

do you have any progression pictures of the gorgonian's growth? I'm wondering as I've never seen gorgonians as healthy and large as yours.

Is there anything you attribute this to? Flow? light? Special top-secret food? - wondering if there is any relation to the high fish-load and accelerated growth...... hence the progression pictures

I've tried gorgonians many times, and while I get them to survive, they just won't grow :( wondering maybe if I need to get a larger specimen to have a solid "base" to start from instead of 4" long frags..... ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7382736#post7382736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MadTownMax
do you have any progression pictures of the gorgonian's growth? I'm wondering as I've never seen gorgonians as healthy and large as yours.

Is there anything you attribute this to? Flow? light? Special top-secret food? - wondering if there is any relation to the high fish-load and accelerated growth...... hence the progression pictures

I've tried gorgonians many times, and while I get them to survive, they just won't grow :( wondering maybe if I need to get a larger specimen to have a solid "base" to start from instead of 4" long frags..... ?

Even though I don't have any time frame pics I can say I've had some of these pieces a number of years and through numerous tank moves. Each time the gorgonians grow right to the water's surface. The large piece on the tank's left side actually growns past the water's surface. The water flow keeps it bent over at times and when it straightens up it extends out of the water. I had this piece in an old 180 (24" tall) and transfered it to the current tank about 2 years ago. The current tank is 28" high and it took only about 6 months for it to grow to the current height.

I think the varied water flow from the Sea Swirls, smaller food like daphnia and metal halide lighting have all attributed to success.

I have recently purchased gorgonians and stripped the base down to the stem about 3/4 to 1" up the base and drilled a piece of live rock to stick it in. I have found in the past that if you use underwater epoxy to attach the piece to it might irritate the gorg so the tissue receeds. If your systems conditions are to it's liking, it should start spreading new tissue over the rock with in weeks.

Hope this helps. :)

I think that's one of the most excellent tanks I've ever seen! LOVE the huge corals. I'm an all softy fan as well. Your setup is AWESOME. Congrats!

WOW! What an amazing tank. You have pretty much got everything I want going in a tank-I too am mostly into soft coral. Really want the basement filtration as well. Love anthias and think chromis are underrated. I keep a few token or colorful hard corals but that's it.

Where do you get the gorgonians you have? (PM if you don't want to plug a seller online) Must be photosynthetics and those can be hard to track down, usually the Florida collectors have them but at random times. I have a ribbon gorgonian that does well, would love to get more of other varieties since you have proven they get along with softies. :)

Thanks for showing us your gorgeous tank!
Kate

I know you probably haven't monitored this in a while. First let me say your tank look great! But I do have a question why did you take the output of the refugium to the skimmer?

Back