Tank of the Month - May '06

Re: green star polyp

Re: green star polyp

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345085#post7345085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OrangeKoi
Beautiful tank. It looks so good. It is clear you have a good handle on the planning.

Salt newbie01 mentioned the green "grass" growing up the side. It looks an awful lot like something I'm struggling to Id. Tell me if I'm wrong, it is Not a green star polyp, is it.

If it is what I have it more resembles a thin slightly branching stalk. It grows up in bunches or tufts. Not more than 3/4 inch in length (about)? I'm surprised to see it going up the side of the tank as mine is growing from what appears to be a stony base (regrowth on mine I suppose) which is full of tiny pinprick holes. Perhaps this is simply another prime example of your Outstanding coral growth?

Really cool stuff, and fish stay away from it too right? Except this clarkii clown that doesn't have a home...He dashes onto it like it burns. I think he's decided to "make it home" and is aquanting himself with it.

I know you said you aren't into naming corals, but if there's a name for this stuff it would be cool to know it.

It looks just beautiful in your tank!

The "grass" is green star poylp. This stuff has always grown well in all of my past tanks. Downfall of it is that once attached to rocks it is almost impossible to get off. You also want to be careful of its placement for it will burn and eventually cover up many species of coral.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345748#post7345748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by armygreen11
Very nice tank you've got there and congrats on the nomination. I'm in the process of building a similar refugium setup as what you have where one of my tank drains will run directly into the fuge and that will drain to the sump. Do you have any advice for me? I want to have a big lush sea grass "forest" like you have there. What did you use for a substrate? Do you have any animals in there? Where did you procure your sea grass?

Thanks! I have a few vaieties of caulerpa including cheto. Don't know the other varieties by name. I aquired the different types from fellow reefers in my area. Only "modification" was adding a powerhead in the main body of the fuge to keep adequate mov't. Substrate is agragonite about an inch deep. No animals in my fuge other than what grows in there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7345782#post7345782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hendersonracing
WHAT KIND OF BACK GROUND IS ON THE TANK I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING A MIRROR ON MINE? LOOKS GREAT

Background is a solid black piece of acrylic cut to the size of the tanks back and side panel. I attached it to the outside of the tank with silicone. I don't clean the non viewing panels of the tank so at this point the coraline has completely covered those sides.

Nice soft coral tank! The fish are simply beautiful. I only have a 90 so I can't put that many in it so I was really interested in how yours looks. 4 gallons evaporate every day? Wow!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7352801#post7352801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by armygreen11
Have you had any problems using that aqualifter pump to feed your calcium reactor?

Yes I have. Had problems with the prefilter clogging as well as the pump breaking. I'm on my second unit running without the prefilter. At about $12 for the pump, I just keep an extra on hand in case I need an extra. I know some tap right off a pump line for a feed but I didn't want to hassle with that.

green star polyp

green star polyp

Thanks for the reply. Rats. Mine isn't a green star polyp. It's kind of like coarse hair, but green. It grows in little tufts as I said. I can't find a picture of it anywhere. Wishful thinking that you had the same thing.

Your tank is still beautiful.

Overflow with two inch bulkheads vs. skimmer box

Overflow with two inch bulkheads vs. skimmer box

Tom, With the overflow bulkheads versus a skimmer box, you stated that they are able to handle 3000 gph of circulation to your sump?

I am planning a new tank and I am considering bulkheads , but I was concerned about the water level being too low, whether this method can be as quiet as a Durso overflow, and the ability to remove all the scum from the water surface.

Could you discuss these factors futher. I am only going for about 500 gph turnover through my sump. It sounds like two 3/4 of 1" bulkheads would be more than enough?

Re: Overflow with two inch bulkheads vs. skimmer box

Re: Overflow with two inch bulkheads vs. skimmer box

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7359398#post7359398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mboley1
Tom, With the overflow bulkheads versus a skimmer box, you stated that they are able to handle 3000 gph of circulation to your sump?

I am planning a new tank and I am considering bulkheads , but I was concerned about the water level being too low, whether this method can be as quiet as a Durso overflow, and the ability to remove all the scum from the water surface.

Could you discuss these factors futher. I am only going for about 500 gph turnover through my sump. It sounds like two 3/4 of 1" bulkheads would be more than enough?

I have no problem handling the surface scum. Alot of this relates to circulation in your tank as well IMO. I was told that a 2" drain can handle 2000 gph. Don't quote me on that but I've had no issues. I think the drain noise has alot to do with the drop distance into the basement. I had 2" drains on an old 180 and I had no noise at all.

I think if I had it to do over again I would run about 1000 gph through the sump and put a circular loop in to add more current.

I had 2" drains on an old 180 and I had no noise at all.

I had 2" drains on an old 180 and I had no noise at all.

On the 180, I am assuming it did not have the same drop? Also, have you ever tried ball valves on the drain lines to control noise and Water level, or is that necessary? And finally, do you need the 90 elbow. Wouldn't a bulkhead thru the side of the tank as high as possible with a strainer work the same way

Thanks for your help. I too hate internal skimmer boxes, and LeeMar here in
San Diego will not even build a tank with an external box.

Re: I had 2" drains on an old 180 and I had no noise at all.

Re: I had 2" drains on an old 180 and I had no noise at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7360386#post7360386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mboley1
On the 180, I am assuming it did not have the same drop? Also, have you ever tried ball valves on the drain lines to control noise and Water level, or is that necessary? And finally, do you need the 90 elbow. Wouldn't a bulkhead thru the side of the tank as high as possible with a strainer work the same way

Thanks for your help. I too hate internal skimmer boxes, and LeeMar here in
San Diego will not even build a tank with an external box.

Correct, the 180 was on a regular stand and the drop was roughly 2-3 feet. Never tried ball valves and I'm not sure if I would recommend them or not. I would be concerned about getting the correct setting so as not to overflow the tank. It would be difficult to monitor the water level within the drain pipes. As far as the bulkhead idea goes. I'm sure it would work...I've just always used the elbows.

Mboley, it would work, but you really don't want the bulkhead holes too close to any one edge. At minimum, they should be atleast the same distance from the edge as the hole size. 2" hole, 2" from any edge is usually the rule.

Daniel

Sorry to hijack, Tom

What is the name of the bushy, beautiful huge soft coral on the left side of the tank?
We are slowly buildling softie tank and yours is an INSPIRATION... We won't ever have one like yours (I don't have a basement, ha ha), but we at least have a direction to follow

Joanna

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7379386#post7379386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arrow2fast
What is the name of the bushy, beautiful huge soft coral on the left side of the tank?
We are slowly buildling softie tank and yours is an INSPIRATION... We won't ever have one like yours (I don't have a basement, ha ha), but we at least have a direction to follow

Joanna

Thanks for the nice comments! If you are speaking of the coral that is branchy, it is a gorgonian. If you are speaking of the leather below that it is a sarchophyte. Good luck with your tank!:)

Back