Tank of the Month - May '06

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7316031#post7316031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean48183
Stunning tank! Love the fish and coral combo and I believe in feeding the fish heavily myself. I can see that your fish are very healthy looking especially the 8 year old tangs.

I have a question about coral feeding. You have gotten alot of great growth and was wondering if you feed the corals at all? My softies don't seem to grow fast at all(except the xenia) and was wondering if I feed them enough?

I don't target feed any of the corals but I do use a variety of foods for the fish that I think really overlaps with the corals. I generally feed frozen daphnia and feel this might be a factor in some of the coral growth.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7318177#post7318177 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djr2001
I must say this is by far the best looking tank I've ever seen. I love the wood work and how it matches the kitchen...

Thanks for all the great encouragement from everyone! I'll pass the comment on to my wife who felt that the tank might be an "eyesore" in the house originally. :D :D :D

Tom,

Your tank is out of this world! You are an inspiration to all of us soft coral keepers. :thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7326778#post7326778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2turtles
How do you vent the heat from the lights in the hood?

The back of the tank is attached to a small closet. It does get warm in there but the tank's temp stays between 77-79 with a chiller. I did have a ceiling fan installed in this closet but rarely run it for things stay pretty stable without it.

That's one of the most beautiful rabbit fish I've ever seen.
I had one that was similar, just didn't have much color to him. He destroyed all algae, and was a great fish. Too bad he ate TOO much, and wasn't letting others eat. Had to get rid of him. He's been at my LFS for 8 months, nobody appreciates him! He's huge!

Anyways, back to your tank... beautiful, congrats.

Outstanding tank! I'm thrilled to see such a remarkable softies tank win TOTM! Congrats on the nomination and win, it's well deserved.:thumbsup:

really nice tank! I really appreciate softies too and wondered how your gorgonians grow so well! They give the appearance of SPS in a softie tank that really looks impressive - those must be absolutely huge in that large of a tank!

I've never had much success with gorgonians, I'm going to try to find some similar foods that you use (daphnia) and hope that helps things along.

Congradulations!

Nice softie tank! I agree there is something soothing about the movement. Congrats!

ANdy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7321775#post7321775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tom obrecht
I don't use strainers on the overflows and occassionally I do find a fish in the sump. I've used this type of overflow for years without too much trouble. The bulkheads are right in the back of the tank and I just use a 90 degree elbow. Only downfall is since the water flows to the basement (about 10 feet) I do get a bit of noise from that...but very minimal. I did alot of planning for this tank and it has been very problem free since the beginning.

Tom,

Just to be sure I understand. You have the back of the tank drilled and just run a 90 degree elbow directed up? You don't get any flushing sound or snails caught in there? I'm just shocked because I have those issues with normal overflows!

Great tanks. Thanks for sharing.

Ron

law086...That's correct. Yes I do have some overflow noise, but it is minimal. I don't have many snails and if they do get in the overflow they end up in the sump. With 2" drains I don't really have an issue with things getting plugged up.

Re: Re: Pseudanthias bimaculatus

Re: Re: Pseudanthias bimaculatus

Thanks for the reply Tom I am going to research this a little more before I go with adding 2-3 Pseudanthias bimaculatus Would i be better off add 3 females and just letting one change to a male this way giving time for them to get used to my Disbar's?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7321671#post7321671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tom obrecht
I've never had any problems by adding more anthias. I think the trick is to have a large enough space and to add enough fish to displace aggression. Bimacs are larger and the only problem I had was with the male Bimac going after a male squareblock.

Tom

green star polyp

green star polyp

Beautiful tank. It looks so good. It is clear you have a good handle on the planning.

Salt newbie01 mentioned the green "grass" growing up the side. It looks an awful lot like something I'm struggling to Id. Tell me if I'm wrong, it is Not a green star polyp, is it.

If it is what I have it more resembles a thin slightly branching stalk. It grows up in bunches or tufts. Not more than 3/4 inch in length (about)? I'm surprised to see it going up the side of the tank as mine is growing from what appears to be a stony base (regrowth on mine I suppose) which is full of tiny pinprick holes. Perhaps this is simply another prime example of your Outstanding coral growth?

Really cool stuff, and fish stay away from it too right? Except this clarkii clown that doesn't have a home...He dashes onto it like it burns. I think he's decided to "make it home" and is aquanting himself with it.

I know you said you aren't into naming corals, but if there's a name for this stuff it would be cool to know it.

It looks just beautiful in your tank!

Very nice tank you've got there and congrats on the nomination. I'm in the process of building a similar refugium setup as what you have where one of my tank drains will run directly into the fuge and that will drain to the sump. Do you have any advice for me? I want to have a big lush sea grass "forest" like you have there. What did you use for a substrate? Do you have any animals in there? Where did you procure your sea grass?

Back