Tank of the Month - November '04

i have many LPS and SPS coarls in my tank.
Then I would not recommend getting a large angel (they like to eat LPS corals). Also a 120 is too small, IMO for a large angel except for maybe the P. navarchus (Majestic) angel.

Regards,
Kevin

Haow do your triggers get along with your Inverts
This family of triggers gets along very well with inverts. They also don't try to move the rockwork around or dig in the substrate. I've heard an occasional specimen will eat ornamental shrimp. I have never seen that myself. Also I think if the shrimp are already in the tank when the trigger is added you eliminate the possibility that the trigger thinks you are feeding him when adding shrimp.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi everybody!
I am new here, so I'd like to present myself. First, sorry for my bad English, I'm trying to write correct.
My name is Tamás(Thomas) Vágó (means Cutter). I am from Budapest, the capital of Hungary. This year we formed an association called Hunarian Aquaristic Association. In the reef section there are 10 men now, so we are really beginners. I would like to ask permission from Kevin Po to show his photos from his reef in our webpage (www.akvarista.hu).
Thanks.

Kevin:

I must apologize because I don't know how I missed congratulating you on this extremely well deserved occasion.

Your tank was one of the very first tanks that I saw, and I remember like it was yesterday when you were first setting it up, posting pictures about it, etc. You were one of my strongest inspirations to get a big tank and still today I can see why. I must also point out for those that don't know much about you that you are one of the few guys that have remained over the years the same as when you started. So many people get a big head and think they are the ultimate reef elite as they progress and have success with their tank, but you have remained as humble as you were on day one.

My most sincere congratulations go out to you man.
dgasmd

Trigger Compatability

Trigger Compatability

What triggers do you find do best in reef tanks and with Inverts? Do your anges go after the coral much?

sasa311 said:
Hi everybody!
I am new here, so I'd like to present myself. First, sorry for my bad English, I'm trying to write correct.
My name is Tamás(Thomas) Vágó (means Cutter). I am from Budapest, the capital of Hungary. This year we formed an association called Hunarian Aquaristic Association. In the reef section there are 10 men now, so we are really beginners. I would like to ask permission from Kevin Po to show his photos from his reef in our webpage (www.akvarista.hu).
Thanks.

Sasa311,

[welcome]

I'm sure Kevin will answer your question soon.

Hi Alberto,
Thank you for your kind words! When I think about all the years I have put in learning and studying trying to be successful with this hobby then I compare what I really know about the different animals I keep and it's hard not to be humble. I think if did this for another 100 years I would still be just a novice but that is one of the great things about this hobby. You can continue learning and having fun for years to come.

Regards,
Kevin

Hello Thomas,
I would be honored if you would use my pictures. Your English is very good and easy to understand. If I can answer any questions or help just email me at my home address
kpockell@earthlink.net

Best regards,
Kevin

Kevin - you have truly inspired me. Until now, I didn't believe that a reef tank could be so incredible. Keeping saltwater fish and coral has been a lifelong dream but I've travelled so much in my life that it just hasn't been possible. Unlike you I never had a wife to feed the fish while I was gone. :)

I'm now settled in southern Japan, married, 3 kids. Still travel sometimes but not so much anymore. I just bought a little 20 gallon tank and going to add 3 fish, some inverts, an anenome and a piece of coral and learn what I can for 6 months before getting a bigger tank (maybe a 55 or 70). We maybe building a house next summer so I would like build a tank into a wall. Anyhow, will save all the questions I have for some newbie forum here at RC but just wanted to say thanks for sharing such a beautiful thing. I showed my wife and told her it cost 2.8 million yen and she was suprised it so cheap - YEAAAH!!! :dance:

I showed my wife and told her it cost 2.8 million yen and she was surprised it so cheap - YEAAAH!!!

Man you must be one smooth talker :lol:

Regards,
Kevin
PS: Glad to have passed on some inspiration and hope you can share some pictures of your tank when you get it settled in.

My LFS sold me my Blue Face and told me it was a Majestic. When they are juveniles they look very similar.

Kevin,
Sorry! That's what the distributor told me...I tried. I know I congratulated you in person, but I'm giving a belated online congrat - look at me, I'm finally taking the time to be here! Your TOTM article is amazing, I am always stunned by your aquarium. Your love of the hobby, kind nature, and willingness to guide us hobbyists has really been a godsend in this neck of the woods. Props to all of your hard work and research, and thanks for being such a great guy to deal with...

Thanks for the featherduster, frogspawn, candy cane, and pulsating xenia kevin! Youll be happy to know that they have all acclimated well and look to be thriving in my tank. Ill definately have to visit your store again! I am looking for a fast-growing species of zoanthids. Do you do special orders?

Kevin, could you tell me a little about your triggers spawning? Are they routine? How often? How many eggs? Do see see the eggs hatch? What do the larvae look like?Or any other info on the spawning.
Thanks

Hello,
The triggers mostly just perform courtship rituals. This entails the male diving over the female from above with flared fins while flashing his jaw color and the area along the back, just below the dorsal fin. Sometimes I see them rolling around near the sand bed bumping their bodies together and the female standing on her nose but I haven't actually seen her lay eggs. I'm not often home when the lights are on except when I'm working on the tank. Also when they see me they beg and follow me around so it's hard to observe their natural behavior. They both have a home in the rockwork that they always sleep in. They are close to each other but not in the same hole.

Regards,
Kevin

Back