Tank of the Month - November '04

just for the asking why do you do whater changes some people i know with large tanks don't do water changes but only once every 18 months or so including me???

why do you do whater changes
To keep the corals and fish from dying in their own waste. My tank is very crowded with both fish and corals. Organic compounds quickly accumulate and need to be removed.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Donovan :)
When I first put it next to my T. derasa it was quite a bit smaller than it. Now just a few months later the gigas has caught up :eek2: It has added about 1" to the shell and gets better looking every day. My derasa has not grown much lately. Thanks for letting me give it a good home :)

Regards,
Kevin

Keven

Stunning pictures of a stunning tank.

What model of Camera are you using. Any special tricks or lighting?

Thanks

hoserred,

[welcome]

Are you the only guy I know in Pflugerville? His name is Carlos... would that be you? If not, you might make contact and have someone to trade with.

Hey Kevin!! Major congrats to a long time RC guy! I knew we would see you get this one of these days.;) You have been a great help to me for several years now and your knowledge has been much appreciated (and used!:)). Great tank as always!!

Hey kevin I have a quaestion abut that blue face angle. I have one and I want to put him in my reef what corals do they like to munch on ?? I dont want to loose all of mine.

What model of Camera are you using. Any special tricks or lighting?
I use an 5 year old Sony. It has a macro setting and is an OK all around camera but it pales in comparison to what is available today. I only adjust the exposure up or down for the lighting. My basic strategy is to take tons of pictures and delete most of them :)

Regards,
Kevin

The Blueface liked different corals as he grew up. Most of the big angels can't be trusted with Favia, Trachphyllia, and other large fleshy polyped corals. They occasionally nip soft corals like Xenia and leathers too.

HTH,
Kevin

Electricity here is the cheapest in the nation last time I checked 4.3 cents a K/h which results in a $50 a month or so bill for the tank.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

You mentioned a couple pages back that you add buffer the morning after a water change. I also use Oceanic salt and would like to know what brand of buffer you use or do you make your own and if so what are you using (brand and ratio)?

Beautiful tank!

Thanks,
Dwaine

what brand of buffer you use or do you make your own and if so what are you using (brand and ratio)?
Hello Dwaine,
I buy Arm & Hammer baking soda in the 10lb resealable bag (lasts about 90 days :) ) and Arm & Hammer washing soda (it can be found in the detergent isle at the grocer). I use 6 parts baking soda to 1 part washing soda.

HTH,
Kevin

Nice tank Kevin...and nice store too. I was in there the other day and when I was checking out I noticed your reef central tile on your counter...then while looking at the tank of the month I realized it was yours :)

Nice tank Kevin...and nice store too
Thank you :)
I try to get every customer to sign up to RC/bulletin board so they can have access to information 24/7. Also I have my way of doing things but it is not the necessarily the only way, right way, or best way :) . IMO it's much better for a person to spend the time researching many different methods then find the one or combination that fits their idea of how a tank should be setup and run. Also I usually don't have the time to explain in detail even my own thoughts as customers can't be left waiting for service too long (and I can get pretty windy :D ).

Regards,
Kevin

hello,

I luv ur tank!!!!!!

I have 120 reef aqurium, that has been set up for almost a year now, most of the stuff in the tank is stuff i have moved from my smaller aquriums. Because of how stuff cost its taken me a long time to get all the proper stuff need to grow sps, (Lights, Filters, Ca reactors etc). Now i have gotten everthing i need to set up proper sps tank. Most of my sps corals are small, do u think i should wait til my tank matures to get a Lg angle, and would u give anymore advise that u haven't give already about keeping lg angles in a reef aquria. O, i almost forgot to say i have many LPS and SPS coarls in my tank.

KM

Back