Tank of the Month - November

Closed loop

Closed loop

I have a relatively new 150g, and I'm thinking of setting up a closed loop system with Sea-Swirls. Do you have any advice and resources I can check out on how to set up a closed loop system? Thanks for your help. You can check out my tank at www.reeftank.com .

Charles Lai
www.reeftank.com

Re: compatibility question

Re: compatibility question

stgla said:
Ryan, Amazing tank and setup. That's a lot of water!

I noticed you have a flame hawkfish and "a healthy population" of inverts, including peppermint and banded shrimps. Does the hawkfish try to snack on the shrimps?

He's never eaten any inverts, but he recently killed a Citron Goby. Other than this one problem he's been a model citizen...

Ryan

Re: Closed loop

Re: Closed loop

reefkeeper1 said:
I have a relatively new 150g, and I'm thinking of setting up a closed loop system with Sea-Swirls. Do you have any advice and resources I can check out on how to set up a closed loop system? Thanks for your help. You can check out my tank at www.reeftank.com .

Charles Lai
www.reeftank.com

Charles,

A "closed loop" is fairly simple. All you need is a pump and some plumbing. You can drill a hole for your intake or you can simply come over the side of the tank. Then you run a return line from the pump back to your tank. It serves no purpose but to create circulation...

HTH,

Ryan

Circulation

Circulation

Great tank, I'm working on getting mine to look as good as that.....slowly. I was wondering how you designed the returns in your main tank and the closed loop system? I'm trying to figure out a way to design everything so I don't have any "dead spots" in the main tank. I have had some bad algae problems that I think was attributed to bad circulation in certian parts of the tank. I want good circulation but I don't want powerheads everywhere!
Thanks,
Steve

Baffle Box

Baffle Box

Hey Ryan!
Awesome tank! I'm in the process of setting up a similar tank in my new house which is under construction. My sump room will be in the basement below the display 200gal tank and therefore the water will drop about 15 feet or so into my sump/refug. I'm interested in detail specs on the construction of your DIY "baffle box" empting into your refug (great idea!!). Thanks, Kent

Re: Circulation

Re: Circulation

stagedperformance said:
Great tank, I'm working on getting mine to look as good as that.....slowly. I was wondering how you designed the returns in your main tank and the closed loop system? I'm trying to figure out a way to design everything so I don't have any "dead spots" in the main tank. I have had some bad algae problems that I think was attributed to bad circulation in certian parts of the tank. I want good circulation but I don't want powerheads everywhere!
Thanks,
Steve

I designed the returns and the closed loop to create a very strong current across the back of the tank. I added the powerheads to make it swirl across the front of the tank. I tweaked the powerhead placement until there weren't any dead spots...

HTH,

Ryan

Re: Baffle Box

Re: Baffle Box

10acmd said:
Hey Ryan!
Awesome tank! I'm in the process of setting up a similar tank in my new house which is under construction. My sump room will be in the basement below the display 200gal tank and therefore the water will drop about 15 feet or so into my sump/refug. I'm interested in detail specs on the construction of your DIY "baffle box" empting into your refug (great idea!!). Thanks, Kent

Kent,

Thanks!!

The baffle is very simple. The PVC pipe comes thru the top of the box and forms a "U" at the bottom. I drilled 3- 2" holes at the bottom of the right side of the box. The water and bubbles are sent to the top of the box where the bubbles pop. The water leaves the box via the holes on the side. I got the idea from my downdraft skimmers

Ryan

Ryan,
Thanks for the quick reply! The baffle box does sound simple and appears to eliminate the bubbles. Could you clarify the following: Looking at the picture of the box, what is that PVC pipe leaving the bottom? I assume the other PVC fitting on the lid is to allow the bubbles to escape?
Thanks,
Kent

10acmd said:
Ryan,
Thanks for the quick reply! The baffle box does sound simple and appears to eliminate the bubbles. Could you clarify the following: Looking at the picture of the box, what is that PVC pipe leaving the bottom? I assume the other PVC fitting on the lid is to allow the bubbles to escape?
Thanks,
Kent

The PVC under the box simply holds up the box...:) Yes, the fitting on the top of the box is where the air escapes...

Ryan

Back