Tank of the Month - October 2005

Ok i think i have a question that all of us would like to know. What was the initial cost for setup on your system. You must be rolling in the dough to aford a tank like this.

Great tank, I really enjoyed reading your whole story from begining to end, I too am a husband and father, and can relate (on a smaller scale) to the whole "will it be the tank or us" syndrome.

Good luck with continuing success.

Michael

Thank you Jose for all the info, very informative...

Randy ôÃ"šÃ‚¿ÃƒÂ´

Beautiful tank................ but looks like overkill to me with all the equipment etc.............the monthly electric bill must be astronomical.

mrreuben said:
Ok i think i have a question that all of us would like to know. What was the initial cost for setup on your system.
I would say that about a lot more than I expected :D

Don424 said:
Beautiful tank................ but looks like overkill to me with all the equipment etc.............the monthly electric bill must be astronomical.
I think the power consumers like pumps and lighting are not really avoidable. The rest is just investment. Given my travel automation is really a blessing although I recognize a lot of it is just like for "engineering pleasure" :D

Jose,

In your article you stated replacing your power heads suction cups. Where do you buy your replacement suction cups? I have been searching for a long time for a source of replacement suction cups for my maxijet 1200's. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW

Your tank is a top notch setup. And your insane.

Thanks,

Joe

Awesome setup! I am jeleaous of those with a basement.
I am curious how you resolved some of your problems: hair algae and ich in particular. I tried a bunch of stuff, and found that time, garlic, circulation, and high water quality fixed most of my problems better than any remedy or product, with the exception of ich. Foretunately for my fish, ich outbrakes are now rare and do not result in casualties. I noticed that you have a 40 watt UV sterilizer, did you have an ich problem with the UV sterilizer? What worked for you?
Thanks again for your great tank bio.

J0EC00L said:
Jose,

In your article you stated replacing your power heads suction cups. Where do you buy your replacement suction cups? I have been searching for a long time for a source of replacement suction cups for my maxijet 1200's. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW

Joe

Hi Joe...
After trying different brands I consider the Adams ones the best. I found a lot of cheap ones that just fall in a couple of weeks. The Adams are made of PVC rather than silicon, rubber or soft plastic and last a good deal of time.
They have diferent sizes and can come in bulk or retail. For the Maxijet 1200 I get the medium ones rated for 3 pounds. If you get them retail they come in packs of three with a metal hook, just remove the hook, if necesary just grind or cut the cup's holder to fit the PH base and that's it.
C1-RV.jpg

Here is the manufacturer's site.
http://www.suctioncups.com/retail/CupsCCatalog.htm
You can find them at these stores. I get mine from ACE Hardware.

http://www.suctioncups.com/retail/RetailLocations.htm

steelcaveman said:
Awesome setup! I am jeleaous of those with a basement.
I am curious how you resolved some of your problems: hair algae and ich in particular. I tried a bunch of stuff, and found that time, garlic, circulation, and high water quality fixed most of my problems better than any remedy or product, with the exception of ich. Foretunately for my fish, ich outbrakes are now rare and do not result in casualties. I noticed that you have a 40 watt UV sterilizer, did you have an ich problem with the UV sterilizer? What worked for you?
Thanks again for your great tank bio.
For the Algae it was the typical, patience and nutrient export (Good skimming, A great Tang grazzer, High ORP w/ Ozone, Refugium with Chaeto, Carbon, Purigen and lots of Phosphate removing media.. I use now a reactor with a capacity for a full 1.2 Kgs bucket of Phosban). I still have some small growth of hair algae only at the plugs I use for the coral frags. They are made or aragocrate so I guess they bring some nutrients with them. I will try different plugs and see how it goes. I have been toying with the idea of trying small ceramic tiles.

For Ich... Oficially if the fish are heavely infected I shall say quarentine, Hyposalinity and Copper... Having said that it is something I did not do :D but instead I just tried to help the fish fend it by themselves. Feed with lots of Garlic and Vitamins (Vitachem) not so much to fight the Ich but to boost their imune system, and the sterilizer 24/7 not to kill the ich but to weaken it and kill whatever tomonts (or whatever we call them) got free floating. Having done that the cycles of Ich continued for a while but never fatal and every cycle they were less and less until it showed no more.

Great tank. I don't think you have room to fart in your equipment room. I like the viewing from three sides.

Airman said:
Great tank. I don't think you have room to fart in your equipment room. I like the viewing from three sides.
I can't! If I do the ORP will drop significantly!

tacocat said:
I like the frag tank lighting. Are the T-5 ballasts suspended also?

Yes, the T5s are mounted on a frame made of square PVC. The ballast is so slim that fits inside the PVC toghether with all the wiring. The frame is also hanging and can rise independently from the MH reflectors.

Back