Tank of the Month - October 2005

Beautiful, don't have the time or resources for something like that but I can certainly appreciate the work that goes into one. Good job.

This is the most gorgeous tank I have ever seen!

Thanks Jose for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with us.

WOW!!!! What a tank. You should be every bit proud of that monster of beauty you created. TOTM like this one keeps me motivated to continue researching and learning. Can you please explain the method and the process of your water changing.

Check the piping drawing below and look for the pre-sump and the mix tank and their valves. the operation is simple.
1. shut off the main pump taking water from the sump to the main tank. Shut off the skimmer pump.
2. Open the pre-sump drain valve and empty its 30 gallons.
3. Open the mixing tank transfer valve and close its recirculation valve and water is transferred to the sump.
4. Turn on recirc. pump. New water goes to the main tank, old water comes out the pre-sump drain. Close the drain when an additional 25 gallons are drained and pre-sump starts filling again.
5. When mix tank is empty close drain valve, close transfer valve and open mixing recirculation, shut off mixing pump and turn on skimmer pump.
RO/DI automatically re-fills the mix tank. It takes about 5 minutes to exchange the 55 gallons and about 8 hours to refill the mixing tank with RO/DI and have it ready to add the salt.

18470Plummbing_1-med.gif

Very nice and congrats . I have always liked your tank and it has come along ways since it was setup . Truly a well thought out setup that deserves a :thumbsup:

What a beautiful tank. The only thing I see that bugs me is how nasty the sand looks around the glass. Other then that it looks perfect!!! Your prop tank is also another work of art.

Dubbin1 said:
What a beautiful tank. The only thing I see that bugs me is how nasty the sand looks around the glass. Other then that it looks perfect!!! Your prop tank is also another work of art.
Thanks for your coments. You know that sand thing bother me too but unfortunately a good functioning sand bed usually looks like that. Light reaches the sides of the sand bed by reflection from the inside of the acrylic thinkness so algae and stuff grows on the internal surface. I sometimes tought of covering it from the outside but I will miss checking under the sand to see the worms and little critters growing in it.

Don't cover the sand IMO its a natural look and I too always like looking at it from the sides and bottom where I could . Its all about the life.

clkwrk said:
Don't cover the sand IMO its a natural look and I too always like looking at it from the sides and bottom where I could . Its all about the life.

My heart say cover it my brain say no what could it be? :D
Agreed I think it is better to know what is going on in there.

Thanks Scuba:

It was in the tank about 21/2 years. It is no longer there as it would not fit any more, about 10 months ago I got some help and we took it out. Because it would not fit the holes on top of the tank we had to chiesel it in place, while one peron supported it from the bottom, Anoderone used a chiesel and happer to break it apart while anotherone recieved the pieces to place them in ice boxes.
A lot of aquarists around the Chicago area got good sized frags of it.

Beautiful setup. Tank and equipment room look great.
I'm thinking about adding UV to my system and would like to know what benefits you think you receive from having it on your tank. (i.e. water clarity, algae control, fish health)

Back