Tank of the Month - September 2004

Thanks guys...

skeetemup how's the regal? The fact that you've just gotten him and he's eating is a huge step in the right direction. Be patient and he should become more bold. As long as he's eating a little for now he'll be fine. If things don't improve in a few more days you could take other steps, but for now just do what you're doing...

Your tank is incredible, that is what I want mine to look like, I have a 65 g tank, same shape, same skimmer and two 150 DE HQI pendants. I just started collecting sps corals , do you think that they will have enough light? they seem to be doing fine , I'm just not patient enough, it seems like it takes them forever to grow.

just wanted to say thanks for the input i've done a lot of research on this fish and i'll do what ever it takes to make him happy i tried mussells that i picked up from my local grocery store he went wild and is eaten great so for now he's on a mussell diet i still feed the tank with a comination of formula 1, formula 2, plankton, angel formula, krill, blood worms, tubeworms,cyklopiese so eventually I guees he'll catch on plus i put red seaweed in the tank attached to the rock so i guess i'll have to see

FRAGS AVAILABLE

FRAGS AVAILABLE

To all... I have a list of frags available for all who have been interested, including blue torts... please e-mail me if interested in a list (try not to PM as it fills up fast)...

skeetemup good luck!

bradley 2x 150s is fine... just have patience Bud!

Thanks,

John

7268.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful 65

Beautiful 65

Beautiful Tank! You mentioned that 2x150 would be fine, but do you feel 250's would be best? Do you think you could have made your tank as awesome as it is now with only 2x150s? I'm going to have a tank similiar in size to yours and I can not decide if I will go 250 or 150. The only reason I'm undecided is because of heat issues. What made you decided to put 250's on your tank instead of 150s?

Thanks,
Tice

inspired me

inspired me

HI I liked it so much, I did something I have never done before. Showed a woodworking friend the picture and had him do a stencil and cut it out with a bandsaw. I used a dremel tool and hours of sanding, then painted it with acrylics (first time too, I usually use watercolour) then made the base , a dead piece of coral and shells, sea urchin and presto ....thanks John for allowing me to do this.
http://dunn.smugmug.com/gallery/277778/1/12230564

Man that's cool piscies! Don't thank me... thank the Red Sea:) !

My wife and I close on the new house next week and I'll be moving all the tanks over the course of about a three week overlap, including the upgrade from the 65 to my 180. I'll update as things progress.

tankslave, I have a mix of algaes, including Caulerpa and Chaetomorpa species...

Jtice, the 250s have really worked out well, and I don't have heat issues because I run the frag tank overnight, so one tank cools the other. Despite being only 65 gallons, it is a 24" deep tank, so the 250s add the extra punch to get to the bottom of this deep tank...

Will update soon...

John

overflow question in your setup?

overflow question in your setup?

first nice looking reef.

here's my question in reading your setup i noticed you saying Stockman type drainpipe in your overflow what is that exactly? any pictures.?

Thanks... Stockman overflows were designed by Ken Stockman and have a smaller footprint than dursos, which I needed after having two drains in the small AGA overflow. Look at Ron Durso's site linked here and look under "popular modifications" and then "Stockman hangon overflow". I use many of these on my new system and am very pleased. If you have questions beyond what Rich's site gives you just shoot...

Hope that helps...

John

curious about frag tank setup

curious about frag tank setup

I am curious to see some pics about the "built-in" frag tank.

Back