Tank silicone advice (failed repair)

bwhit1406

So i am in the process of re applying silicone to my 125 gallon tank. I removed all the original, cleaned all the surface, and tape off straight lines. I ordered the black silicone from BRS. I applied the new stuff tonight as i put down a bead all the way around and came back to smooth it out. The silicone just got chunky as i tried to smooth it. I applied some more in some areas and tried to smooth it down this seemed to help but it was still looking like crap. I went ahead and removed the painters tape some of the silicone was already attached. Its basically a no go and i will have to start from scratch.

Did i pick the wrong product? Apply it incorrectly? The whole process was not more than 10 minutes. I have used plenty of silicone in the past and not used any that setup that fast

Fwiw, I used my caulk and smoothed it with a tool from home depot as quickly as possible. I did my 75g and it went awesome. The left tool helped remove since I've got super fat fingers. That and 50 Razors. The tool on right has rubber pads and it helped me leave a phenomenal looking bead. Took 15 minutes total to caulk it up. Probably less. That was indoors summertime with AC kicking. The odor wasn't horrendous either. I used the caulk they sell at pet supermarket. Silicons may not have much of a working time before it "skins" depending on the weather/humidity. Good luck and don't give up. Hopefully more experienced peeps help you out.:thumbsup:
b3741743-ea94-4eee-bb08-a44c014ad4de_1000.jpg

Sounds like it just started to setup. You have to work very fast. I have one or 2 small spots that don't look great on the one I did. Can I ask... Did up put a bead then place the glass on top of the silicone. So basically u should have silicone between each panel. Install 1 panel at a time. 2 people help greatly with this so one can hold the glass in place while u get the next peice and add the next bead of silicone. Then put another bead all the way around too after the silicone is between all the panels. I'm no expert but if you need help I can come by and give you a hand.

Roger

Back