Tank size recommendations

Dante_JoseCuerv

Ok guys, so it's reached the point where I'm going to need a larger tank in the next year or so. So, I've been searching around, looking up roughly what sizes all my fish are going to be full-grown and whatnot. Here's the backstory as to why I need a new fishtank. So about 2 years ago I let me sister go out and buy a fish, well.. she came back with... a longhorn cowfish. Needless to say, it's outgrowing my 90 and we're gonna need a relatively large upgrade since both her and my mom said they won't get rid of said cowfish till it gets old and kicks the bucket. That being said, I want to keep at least a couple decent show tangs and hopefully a goldenback trigger pair. As of now, money is no object, but I'd like to keep it reasonable.

I'm thinking something in the 300-400 gallon range. What do you guys think?

I know you said "as of now" money is no object, but keep in mind a tank that size will be substantially more expensive to keep running. Your power consumption will probably triple. Same with additives and salt.

Things to consider:

Larger tanks 1. Evaporate more water, you must account for this or you may ruin your house. Consider ventilation etc. 2. Cost more to equip. An adequate skimmer for a 400 gallon tank is in the 2 k range. Lighting surface is large, now cost to light goes up.

They are also more fun to view, can adequately house more types of fish. I'd recommend finding the spot you want to keep the tank in your house, and then picking a tank that fits perfectly.

the good thing is your new lighting does not have to be stellar since there are no corals. I would measure the space you have to put the tank and get measurments of both the 3 and 400. if you have the space for a 400-awesome.

@jbird69
- I have kept this in mind, and like I said, while money isn't an object I'm not trying to buy myself a tank that will cost me more than a nice car. I've also factored in all the additives etc so it's not like I'm just asking about the tank itself (though that basically is what I did :-D )

@jimmy_n
-Right, well as of now it's looking like it'll be going in my basement, right next to a large ventilation shaft :-D. I do realize that as the tank goes up in size that the upkeep will go up due to lighting, extra equipment... etc.... They are more fun though :-D

@likemine99
-I never said there were no corals, I simply omitted that. As of now I only have wandering shrooms (they seriously end up in different places everyday) and some zoas, but I'll be planning on something more serious in a larger tank. I have the space for something around 900 gallons or so, maybe more, but I don't want to get something that large yet.

Good feedback guys! I'll be keeping everything you guys throw out in mind to help me decide on what's going down there!

tank size

tank size

I currently have a 180. wish I had a larger one, but you must keep in mind that a larger tank means inreased weight. Will your existing floor support?

If money is no option have you seen the 1,000 gal build thread? General rule is go with the biggest tank you have room and money for. :D How about a 500 (8' x 4' x 2').

Phil

I think you are only limited by what you can fit into the basement. :) Consider access when you are pondering what your next size might be. That said I would go with something in the 300g range. I am bias to the deeper tanks so probably something in the 72"x36"x28" area.

I agree that a 72"x36"x28" would be a great size. But if you are getting some big Tangs a 84" or even better a 96"(8') tank would be better, if you have the room. I think a 96"x36"x28" tank would be really nice. That would be around 418 gallons. A 96"x30"x26" tank would be around 325 gallons which is also nice demensions IMO.

I think you are only limited by what you can fit into the basement. :) Consider access when you are pondering what your next size might be. That said I would go with something in the 300g range. I am bias to the deeper tanks so probably something in the 72"x36"x28" area.

I agree that a 72"x36"x28" would be a great size. But if you are getting some big Tangs a 84" or even better a 96"(8') tank would be better, if you have the room. I think a 96"x36"x28" tank would be really nice. That would be around 418 gallons. A 96"x30"x26" tank would be around 325 gallons which is also nice demensions IMO.

Yeah, I've been thinking between 6' and 8' for a tank. I'm trying to decide what height and width I want. I'm not looking to keep anything in the naso genus, though I'm absolutely enamored with vlamingiis. I'm thinking maybe something like a bariene or a fowleri, but first I need to figure this out. I'm hoping to have it up and cycling by April.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm really glad to see everyone jumping in on this.

Back