Tank Stand Design 120gal

Gridiron58

Hi All,

I am planning my design for my 120 gal (2'x2'x4') reef tank. I plan on doing a walnut stand build with two-tone stain.

I was wondering if this frame design would be sufficient to support a tank and hood. My main concern would be using no center vertical supports on the front and rear.

From my research, I was able to gather that would be okay, so long as I used 2x6's for the horizontal frame on the top.

My main reason for doing this is I would like to leave the front open for a removable panel on the front of the stand.

Thank you all!
R/

Attachments

• Tank Stand Frame Plans 20180715.jpg
    Tank Stand Frame Plans 20180715.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Using 2x6 you should be able to span a 3.5 foot gap with 0 problems. Your design looks to be pretty standard. My 90 is exactly the same, only 18 deep and I didn't use a center support and had no issues. I'm pretty sure I could stack another tank on it and still be fine lol.

IMHO, it will be fine even using 2x4's for the top frame. I assume you will be skinning it with something? That will add considerable strength to the stand as well.

Could easily just be done with 3/4" plywood too and no "studs"..if you want to optimize space..

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Definitely giving me something to think about.

My plan is to build it with walnut with a two-tone stain on the outside. I'm working with a local carpenter to work out the details.

R/

Back