Tank Stand Support 60 Cube

Lukeb321

Just bought a 60-gallon deep blue rimless cube with stand off CL. Nice little setup and very excited to get this bad boy running.

The tank sits in the inner lip of the stand. I know its built this way and the tank has been running for a year but it seems so weird to have this heavy item just supported on the outside - especially rimless.

I’m thinking of adding extra support (plywood on the inner lip) but also worried about putting extra pressure points on the tank?

What do you think?

Last edited:
I believe "rimless" tanks require full button contact support. A "rimmed" tank is supported around the perimeter. If your description is accurate you have the wrong stand for that tank.:eek1:

Is there trim around the bottom? If so, that stand is fine. If it is a truly rimless (no trim top or bottom, them I'm amazed that it lasted this long without failing.

If there is no trim, then yes, it should have complete support underneath. I would suggest 3/4" plywood and a thin (1/4") sheet of styrofoam for it to sit on.

Thanks for the reply.

I just looked and there is a black trim around the bottom.
http://i.b5z.net/i/ui/4002604/i/Deep_Blue_60g_Cubed.JPG

So I guess its ok?

Can I still place plywood on the lip and then the tank on the plywood just so I can sleep at night?

I've read that you don't want to make more pressure points on the glass but most stands that I see this tank sitting on have a flat surface?

I really appreciate the help.

Sure you can. The plywood really won't help much, but many people, myself included, add a plywood top to our DIY stands. DO NOT use foam between the tank and top.

Back