Tank upgrade - when can I add sps?

Dtronic

Just trying to get an idea-----------------

I am switching from a 125 with a 30 gal sump to a 225 with a 75 gallon sump. Using all the old water, live rock sand and fish. I am adding more live rock and sand. Upgraded all my equipment for flow, skimming, circulation.........

How big is my cycle going to be?

What are the variables that make the biggest difference?

How long should I wait to add SPS? I think the switch to the 225 should happen next weekend. I am sure there will be huge sales for xmas on coral.

Here is my current fish list:

Lawnmower Blenny
Pair of Picasso Clowns
Black Tang
Red Sea Tang
Spotted Rabbitsfish

Did your previous tank have sps? Some say that when coraline alage gets to the size of a quarter in diameter, that would be a good sign of overall tank health and balance. You may not have a cycle, just test all the basic parameters. If you plan on adding more liverock, you could also add a bac source and carbon source to speed up the cycle. This might keep you from having a cycle all together. Just make sure alk, calcium, mag, salinity, temp are in balance for a few weeks and slowly add some basic sps to see how they react. Make sure you have NO3 and PO4 low, nearly undetectable before you jump in to sps. Good luck, sounds like a great project, keep us posted.

Did your previous tank have sps? Some say that when coraline alage gets to the size of a quarter in diameter, that would be a good sign of overall tank health and balance. You may not have a cycle, just test all the basic parameters. If you plan on adding more liverock, you could also add a bac source and carbon source to speed up the cycle. This might keep you from having a cycle all together. Just make sure alk, calcium, mag, salinity, temp are in balance for a few weeks and slowly add some basic sps to see how they react. Make sure you have NO3 and PO4 low, nearly undetectable before you jump in to sps. Good luck, sounds like a great project, keep us posted.

No SPS in the old tank, just alot of softies that I am in the process of selling off. The 125 is pulsing xenia and star polyp heaven. I loved it until I came here and saw the sps tanks.

Is the Rabbitfish ok with SPS?

DavidsFiltrationSystem010.jpg

This is a pic of the first sump, it was a little too long to fit under my stand with a external pump. The new one was shortened 4" and made out of 1/4" acrylic.

Last edited:
I think the important thing is having good parameters and keeping it there, especially no alk swings.

Back