Taqpol's 220 gallon custom Miracles tank!

Glad things seems to be going better for the tank.

Oh I remember those long days and nights in the lab during grad school...Don't really miss those weeks!

The tank is ALIVE!

(Merry (belated) Christmas to everyone who has been asking for updated pictures!)

20111228_FTS2.jpg

20111228_FTS3.jpg

20111228_FTS4.jpg

FTS as of 12/28/2011
20111228_FTS.jpg

With all the problems I had I don't have much growth to show for it, but the tank is now officially 1.5 years old!

I have a bunch of new corals that kinda look crappy, but they just finished their acclimation to LEDs (something I'm still getting the hang of). I am mainly uploading these for documentation purposes so a year from now i can show off how they started.

New Corals:

Green Millepora
20111228_coral_mille.jpg

Browned out ORA Pearlberry
20111228_coral_pearlberry.jpg

Recovering Ponape Birdsnest
20111228_coral_ponape.jpg

"Blue" Tenius
20111228_coral_tenius.jpg

Yellow Tortuosa
20111228_coral_yellowtort.jpg

Orange Monti Cap macro
20111228_coral_monti.jpg

My "Monti rock". A few pages back there is a picture of this that really shows off their growth.
20111228_coral_monti2.jpg

Old Standby corals

Green Slimer
20111228_coral_slimer.jpg

Bonsai-Like (Red Planet in the background)
20111228_coral_purple.jpg

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea
20111228_coral_meteorshower.jpg

Tri-color Valida
20111228_coral_valida.jpg

Sunset Montipora (Encrusting over tube worms)
20111228_coral_monti3.jpg

Frag of GARF Bonsai that almost died on me
20111228_coral_bonsai.jpg

Thanks to my friend Chris for the Lyretail Anthias. They are doing great!

20111228_Anthia2.jpg

I think one of the females might actually be transitioning into a male, even though there is a male in the tank with them. Her colors are definitely distinct.
20111228_Anthia3.jpg

With the Lyretails in the tank the lone Carberryi feels safe enough to come out and eat. Which is good, because he was getting dangerously skinny.
20111228_Anthia1.jpg

Solarensis Wrasse
20111228_Solar1.jpg

20111228_Solar2.jpg

I recently picked up an arc eye hawkfish, as this was a fish I actually saw quite frequently while in Bora Bora. His antics are cute, and he has definitely claimed this spot on my bonsai-like coral because it is perfectly spaced for resting his fins.

20111228_Hawk1.jpg

His other favorite hiding spot
20111228_Hawk2.jpg

More cute fish
20111228_Goby.jpg

20111228_Mandarin1.jpg

20111228_Mandarin2.jpg

wow! she sure is turning male! look at the pectoral fin spot! I wonder if she will go all the way or hang there for a bit...

Glad to see that things are going well!

So.... I think my carpet anemone ate an urchin. Yes, a spiky urchin.

One day I walked by the tank and the carpet anemone was swollen up huge and round, larger then a softball. Every once in awhile the nem will do that and be back to normal the next day, so I just let it be. The next day I walked past and the anemone was back to its normal size and shape, but right in front of it was the half decomposed urchin body with all of its spikes ripped off and strewn around the sand. I think the nem tried to eat it and then spat it out!

Pictures:

20111228_TastyUrchin.jpg

20111228_TastyUrchin3.jpg

20111228_TastyUrchin2.jpg

Have any of you guys ever heard of something like this?

Alex,
Since moving my tank and switching to the vertex illumina 260, i have yet to see positive feedback, granted that the move was a massive shock to the tank however its been a few months and colors are definately not as vibrant or defined. Alot of my sps is kinda browned out or changing color. For instances my ORA pink lemonade is turning green. Well see what happens with the rest of the tank but im not convinced yet that LEDs are the way to go. However the reduced evap and humidity are great positives.

What are your thoughts so far?
Cheers
Rob

Alex,
Since moving my tank and switching to the vertex illumina 260, i have yet to see positive feedback, granted that the move was a massive shock to the tank however its been a few months and colors are definately not as vibrant or defined. Alot of my sps is kinda browned out or changing color. For instances my ORA pink lemonade is turning green. Well see what happens with the rest of the tank but im not convinced yet that LEDs are the way to go. However the reduced evap and humidity are great positives.

What are your thoughts so far?
Cheers
Rob

Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your tank troubles. Moving is hard and throwing in a finicky reef tank never makes it easier. As far as LEDs go, I have yet to see truly unequivocally positive results in my tank with my DIY LEDs either, but my tank has also just recently recovered from a series of bad events. At the very least I know my LEDs are growing SPS corals, but I feel like I need to get a few chemicals (nitrates...) in check as well as longer term stability before I make any true judgement calls.

Even if LEDs aren't the answer yet, I don't know if i could make any of the other light transitions at this point. I loved my T5's, but to light this size tank I would need at least eight five footers, if not twelve three footers. Add in the electricity bill of ~450 watts (minimum) of T5's and 12x$20 bulbs every twelve months and I will have paid for LEDs many times over. If I went the other way and did tried and true MH's over my tank (a much better idea considering the footprint), I know for a fact that i would need to add a chiller to the system with all of those associated woes.

Last but not least, while I have yet to achieve rousing success with my LEDs, others have. As far as coral coloration goes I always suggest checking out Sammy113's thread here on RC. I think it takes corals longer to adjust to LED light then other light sources, so since you have already dropped the money on the LEDs I would at least stick with it until you have some system stability before calling it quits.

No one's heard of the anemone-eating-urchin thing? I guess I should post about it in the anemone forum.

Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your tank troubles. Moving is hard and throwing in a finicky reef tank never makes it easier. As far as LEDs go, I have yet to see truly unequivocally positive results in my tank with my DIY LEDs either, but my tank has also just recently recovered from a series of bad events. At the very least I know my LEDs are growing SPS corals, but I feel like I need to get a few chemicals (nitrates...) in check as well as longer term stability before I make any true judgement calls.

Even if LEDs aren't the answer yet, I don't know if i could make any of the other light transitions at this point. I loved my T5's, but to light this size tank I would need at least eight five footers, if not twelve three footers. Add in the electricity bill of ~450 watts (minimum) of T5's and 12x$20 bulbs every twelve months and I will have paid for LEDs many times over. If I went the other way and did tried and true MH's over my tank (a much better idea considering the footprint), I know for a fact that i would need to add a chiller to the system with all of those associated woes.

Last but not least, while I have yet to achieve rousing success with my LEDs, others have. As far as coral coloration goes I always suggest checking out Sammy113's thread here on RC. I think it takes corals longer to adjust to LED light then other light sources, so since you have already dropped the money on the LEDs I would at least stick with it until you have some system stability before calling it quits.

Those are my exact intentions. This is also how I justified the cost of my vertex Illumina. Between cost savings a month and bulb replacements a year, it was less than 2 or 3 years for me alone. Not to mention that i have a fraction of the humidity in the house that I used too with MH/T5.

Back