Testing of Oceanic Salt Mix

arts007

Hello all, I had seen a thread awhile ago that personal testing was done on a particular salt brand and someone wanted to see the results of oceanic, as did I...so I did some testing.

Salinity was measured using a refractometer with ATC calibrated with a 35ppt solution, all other tests were done using Salifert. The batch was 5 gallons in a new bucket with new powerhead and new heater. Water was allowed to circulate for 24 hours in a clean environment.

pH, Calcium, Strontium, Magnesium, Nitrate and dKH were all done twice and received the same results.

Test

Temp - 78
SG - 35PPT /1.0259
pH - 8.1
dKH - 10
Nitrate - 0.8 mg/l
Calcium - 520 ppm
Magnesium - 1260 mg/l
Strontium - 2 mg/l
Phosphate - 0
Iodide - 0.1 mg/l

I'm not partial to this or any brand as I've always used IO in the past. I just wanted to see the results as I'm sure others do.

-Joe

I've been contemplating on doing some tests on other salt mixes as well. I will keep you all posted on that

Seems like Oceanic changed the salt mix. From the buckets I had before KH was at 4 and CAL at 480-500. I had to change mixes since the ALK gave me too many problems. Who knows if they keep this up I may go back to Oceanic.

does oceanic also have the ocean water brand? I thought I saw it the other day at petco or LFS. If so maybe worth testing that too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9743363#post9743363 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by karlmarx
does oceanic also have the ocean water brand? I thought I saw it the other day at petco or LFS. If so maybe worth testing that too.

Different company, but yeah that salt caught my eye the other day. Good marketing package.:D

drives300 - Ever tried to raise it up to 8 or 9? Boy does the calcium go off the roof. Good salt for an all SPS tank however.

Hmmm... I'm kinda thinking they changed the mix too. That or they don't have very good control of their process. Oceanic used to test around 4 dKH and 450ish Ca for me. That's why I started mixing it 50/50 with IO. IO was usually 11+ dKH and low 300's Ca. My last bucket was RC, but if Oceanic can keep up those numbers, that would probably grab some attention around here.

I used it, and I think w/ 50/50 vs. reefcrystals, would be almost ideal for sps keepers. I test 10dkh w/ RC and 5-6 dkh w/ Oceanic. For CA I test 380-400dky w/ RC and 460+ w/ Oceanic. I keep 1.025 SG... Seems a mixture of the two would be a great compliment of one another......

I've always heard that Oceanic's alkalinity was low, which is why I tested it twice, along with some of the other tests and each time it came up 10. I'm going to test another batch from a different store and run a comparison of Reef Crystals as well. Will post the results later in the week.

-Joe

Back