The Anemone FAQ

BonsaiNut

Premium Member
Over the years, this document has been lost on this site. I repost it now - hoping others will gain benefit from it!

The Anemone FAQ

btas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 75gal tank with a fluval 407 filter system, a fluval squasky light & 1 current maker. The tank has been active for a month. I add 2 fish per week, consisting of 2 clown fish, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 striped damsel, 1 multi color angel, 1 fire shrimp (that has molted twice) a feather duster and 2 hermit crabs. I want to introduce a BTA but am concerned that the light I have isn’t strong enough for it?

I have a 75gal tank with a fluval 407 filter system, a fluval squasky light & 1 current maker. The tank has been active for a month. I add 2 fish per week, consisting of 2 clown fish, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 striped damsel, 1 multi color angel, 1 fire shrimp (that has molted twice) a feather duster and 2 hermit crabs. I want to introduce a BTA but am concerned that the light I have isn’t strong enough for it?
Which Fluval AquaSky light is it? Since it's a 75 gallon tank, I would assume either the 27 watt or 35 watt. https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/shop/product/aquasky-2-0

I don't know much about these lights but, those both seem underpowered for light needing anemones and corals. FWIW, I have a 40 gallon breeder with a Long Tentacle Anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) and my lighting is a 175 watt 11K Metal Halide and a 36" Actinic LED light bar.

Also, IMO, your tank is still a bit young for an anemone. Typically we advise the tank having been cycled for six months to a year before attempting an anemone.

Have you been testing your water parameters? What are your:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Alkalinity
pH

Here’s some of the specs for the light:

27W
IMG_0318.jpeg

35W
IMG_0317.jpeg

While PAR isn’t everything it’s commonly used to determine coral placement/anemone light requirements.

Assuming the light is sitting directly on the top of the tank and not suspended above the tank, you may be able to keep low light corals but not anemones in my opinion unless you get your rocks within 6 inches of the surface and directly below the light, then you may be able to keep a BTA but even then, that par to me is still pretty low for an anemone.

Fluval themselves state (for freshwater plant purposes) the light is only good for low to moderate light requirements:

IMG_0319.jpeg

Back