The Brown Acropora (TBA) Project

galleon

So I'm settled in permanently here in my new home of College Station, Texas. No more metal bakers racks or ghetto rigging. Time to start a fun project with that 20 long.

Four completely browned out wild colonies, otherwise beautiful.

Let's see what happens.

Current Params:

Salt: Instant Ocean
Calcium: 400 ppm
Alkalinity: 2.50 mEq/L
PO4: 0.045 ppm

Completely Manual Dosing:
- B-Ionic, each part as needed based on testing/depletion.
- 2 mL AcroPower each day.
- 5 mL 5% acidity distilled white Vinegar each day.
Feeding:
- Smallest two sizes of Reed Top Dressed Otohime, broadcast fed once a week for particulate foodstuffs aside from C-dosing bacteria.

Lighting: 400 watt Iwasaki 6500k, getting a little long in the tooth. Will either replace with another Iwasaki or another one of my favorite classic bulbs, Ushio 10,000k.

Photoperiod: 12 on, 12 off.

Filtration: 3 tablespoons Marineland Black Diamond, 1 tablespoon BRS normal version GFO, in a passive bag in the Filter box that holds the chiller (Iceprobe). Changed every two weeks.

Temp is kept at 26.0 C using a combination of heating and chiller cycling controlled by an Apex Lite.

Auto Top Off is just RO/DI on a float switch.

Skimming is wet, accomplished by a Tunze DOC 9002

Circulation is an MP10 at 100%, long pulse surge (to mimic my favorite trusty old CSD). The MP10 is at the edge of the tank so the flow turns into a nice horizontal weir.

Future additions will likely include a bonded pair of small species filefish if they become available. Maybe the odd other Acropora that strikes my fancy.

Here are some pics for photo documentation, they were taken last night. The corals were added on Friday. I welcome/encourage any stabs at ID's

9549158861_daf190a9a5_c.jpg

9549159579_07426f5998_c.jpg

9551949418_12460ae59b_c.jpg

9541416727_a63b9dfdbf_c.jpg

9541419847_25ed30790b_c.jpg

9541419321_c812148b3c_c.jpg

9544205954_6c78cc8f52_c.jpg

9551949042_6fc8b22a3a_c.jpg

Has your tank cycled, why would you do a 12 hour photo period on a 400w metal halide and why dose so much carbon

Nice to see another college station person in the hobby! There aren't many of us here. Pm me if you're interested in frag trading. Tank is only 55 gallons but have a decent mix. Hope those brown colonies color up nice. They're really not that far gone.

Nice project following along to see how it goes.. I'm going to venture into some wild colonies also and look forward to seeing how yours turn around.. And what you experience.

Also, not an acro, but a piece of one of those brown Porites colonies that I chipped off. It did this in the las couple weeks.

9736091770_4129617025_c.jpg

Kalk certainly raises your pH and I could see how dosing vinegar would drop it. So it would make sense that combined it would be more neutral. However, I'd be very careful dosing kalk for that propose and keep a close eye on your alk levels. I'm not as pro as a lot of the SPS keepers on here so I'm sure others will chime in.

The addition of vinegar to kalk will result in a negligible ph swing from what I understand. But it will indeed allow you to supersaturate it with an extra 0.75-1 tsp per gallon. Organic carbon dosing and calcium/alk maintenance at once. Not bad. Eventually though kalkwasser won't be enough to keep up with those colonies

Hey this is proper old skool. Browned out wild colonies with no idea what they might look like. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

P.S. Good to see you still around.

Back