The bug bites again...

eledile

i have been a reefer in the past, and with life changes and what not had to put the hobby down for a while but i am back in a position to get the tank back up and going again. i have a 50 gal rimless cube that's been stored away for the last 6 or so years, and want to get a nice little mixed reef tank going. looking to go more heavily on LPS and soft corals, but would like to have a nice SPS or two in there. i am unsure of what lighting i want to go with. a lot has changed since i was in the know, and thinking about going LED but not sure what i might need. dims of the tank are 24x24x20. if anyone has any good suggestions i would greatly appreciate it!

got the scape pics figured out. no idea why they were mega res photos šŸ™ƒ

Attachments

• aquascape 1redo.jpg
    aquascape 1redo.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • aquascape 2 redo.jpg
    aquascape 2 redo.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • aquascape 3 redo.jpg
    aquascape 3 redo.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • aquascape 4 redo.jpg
    aquascape 4 redo.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
so back middle wont work very well because that would put the dry side in the overflow box. i guess i could have mentioned that from the beginning tho.

so back middle wont work very well because that would put the dry side in the overflow box. i guess i could have mentioned that from the beginning tho.
I have no experience with these but I suppose you could put it on one side to the overflow or another. Or, get 2 smaller ones and put one on either side of the overflow. Thinking out loud here.

yeah i have been dancing with the ideas in my head the last couple days. not sure what to do really but i do agree that 1 would work for the time being

I donā€™t remember if it was this thread or another but someone mentioned plasti-coating the dry side to allow you to put it in the overflow. No personal experience with that but, itā€™s an idea.

Hmm, rear mount would definitely be more aesthetically pleasing.

Itā€™ll likely just need to be adjusted height wise as corals grow in. You may find you end up needing more or a stronger one later on

that is a decent idea. would also be nice and hidden from view since it will match the black background. the only difference between the 2 and the 4 is what size tank they are rated for right?

that is a decent idea. would also be nice and hidden from view since it will match the black background. the only difference between the 2 and the 4 is what size tank they are rated for right?
Yep, looks like higher max flow and has a stronger magnet for thicker glass and a bit larger overall. They both start at 20 gallons so I guess the minimum flow is the same.

orbits.png

orbits2.png

now i guess the question is which of the two would be the better option? gotta measure the glass to see if my tank rules out the 2. but i doubt its thicker than 1/2 in. glass

Back