The bug bites again...

eledile

i have been a reefer in the past, and with life changes and what not had to put the hobby down for a while but i am back in a position to get the tank back up and going again. i have a 50 gal rimless cube that's been stored away for the last 6 or so years, and want to get a nice little mixed reef tank going. looking to go more heavily on LPS and soft corals, but would like to have a nice SPS or two in there. i am unsure of what lighting i want to go with. a lot has changed since i was in the know, and thinking about going LED but not sure what i might need. dims of the tank are 24x24x20. if anyone has any good suggestions i would greatly appreciate it!

now i guess the question is which of the two would be the better option? gotta measure the glass to see if my tank rules out the 2. but i doubt its thicker than 1/2 in. glass
You’d likely be fine with either. But, it the larger fits get it for the inevitable upgrade😂

You’d likely be fine with either. But, it the larger fits get it for the inevitable upgrade😂
im huge on future proofing, anytime i buy something i always say to myself, "and when i get a bigger tank, will i be able to use this and it still get value?" measured it out and i could put the larger one in the middle of the tank (vertically mounted on one side) and have clearance space above and below the ends of the pump. plus, the orbit 2 is out of stock so it looks like my mind has been made up for me :ROFLMAO:

quick update for anyone that has been following this, life and work have been a bit hectic but i have still been moving forward with the tank. everything to set the tank up aside from water will be here by wed/thurs of this week! super excited to set this thing up and have a tank going again, and a build thread will be started for it because who doesn't like to follow a tank build?
quick question because i haven't been able to find any info on it. i seem to have lost the mount for my return pump. and i don't really want to hear the hum of the pump vibrating on the glass of the sump. one idea popped into my head that might work, but i wasn't sure if hot glue is safe to use in an aquarium or if the salt would just dissolve it in time? anyone have any thoughts on that? or where i might be able to find a rubber mat that i can set it on?

quick update for anyone that has been following this, life and work have been a bit hectic but i have still been moving forward with the tank. everything to set the tank up aside from water will be here by wed/thurs of this week! super excited to set this thing up and have a tank going again, and a build thread will be started for it because who doesn't like to follow a tank build?
quick question because i haven't been able to find any info on it. i seem to have lost the mount for my return pump. and i don't really want to hear the hum of the pump vibrating on the glass of the sump. one idea popped into my head that might work, but i wasn't sure if hot glue is safe to use in an aquarium or if the salt would just dissolve it in time? anyone have any thoughts on that? or where i might be able to find a rubber mat that i can set it on?
I know back in the day, people used to use mouse pads. Not sure if hot glue is safe. You may be able to create a “slab” of aquarium safe silicone to fit under the pump too?

I know back in the day, people used to use mouse pads. Not sure if hot glue is safe. You may be able to create a “slab” of aquarium safe silicone to fit under the pump too?
no idea why i didn't think of just making a silicone slab. this is why i love forums like this. i may just go that route. or i might see if i can find an old mouse pad and take the decal side of it off.

Me too however it’s seems that the expense of loss and start up are astronomical
I went to a local fish store today for the first time in about 5 years and I am also looking to start up again but WOW have prices increased...I thought maybe just this store, but some research suggests otherwise....a foxface used to be around $30....now $150! A cleaner wrasse was about $50! A six line wrasse was about $60! No yellow tangs in sight, but i had heard years ago those went way up in price as well.

I feel like I've stepped into 2034, not 2024.....having second thoughts now...imagine a $149 fox face goes belly up! Geeze!

I went to a local fish store today for the first time in about 5 years and I am also looking to start up again but WOW have prices increased...I thought maybe just this store, but some research suggests otherwise....a foxface used to be around $30....now $150! A cleaner wrasse was about $50! A six line wrasse was about $60! No yellow tangs in sight, but i had heard years ago those went way up in price as well.

I feel like I've stepped into 2034, not 2024.....having second thoughts now...imagine a $149 fox face goes belly up! Geeze!
Yep, prices have really gone up. You’re not finding yellow tangs because of the collecting restrictions in Hawaii.

Those prices are a little high. I can get six lines for about $35, foxfaces around $100. I’d suggest shopping around a little bit.

The only yellow tangs around for the most part are captive bred for $165 from biota marine with pricey shipping attached

Those prices are a little high. I can get six lines for about $35, foxfaces around $100. I’d suggest shopping around a little bit.

The only yellow tangs around for the most part are captive bred for $165 from biota marine with pricey shipping attached
i checked out petco today....their entire saltwater collection is just water....not a single live thing in there.
The local fish store I went to yesterday (with the $150 foxface) also had most of it's saltwater tanks shut down (for 'remodeling').
I think stores have come to the conclusion that the prices are too high and people aren't buying...at least that what I am seeing around here.

Last edited:
i checked out petco today....their entire saltwater collection is just water....not a single live thing in there.
The local fish store I went to yesterday (with the $150 foxface) also had most of it's saltwater tanks shut down (for 'remodeling').
I think stores have come to the conclusion that the prices are too high and people aren't buying...at least that what I am seeing around here.
Fish have definitely been on the lighter side around here too but there’s been a decent amount of stock. We are getting into the seasonal time of people getting out of the hobby due to summer

for anyone that wants to check it out, my build thread is here

Back