The Elegance Coral Project

Hi all, FWIW, I have had my Indo Elegance for about 2 years now. I recently fragged about half of mine due to it outgrowing my tank. I am living in China which is relatively close to Indo. It seems pretty much all the Elegance corals i see here are from Indo, and they seem to be doing rather well. The LFS i go to in Hong Kong has one on display and had it there for at least 2 years. Other than that i really have no knowledge on the subject, but i just thought i'd share my experience.

Could it have something to do with the longer shipping distances?

Could it have something to do with the longer shipping distances?

We receive elegance from Australia that do not suffer the same problems associated with Indonesian elegance. The shipping distance is roughly the same, so no. The shipping distance is not the problem. I was notified of a company in Canada that is receiving elegance, from Indonesia, that are not being collected from the usual collection sites. These elegance are reported to not have these issues. The elegance you receive in China may be collected from a different area of Indonesia than ours. After all, Indonesia is a huge area.

All of the evidence we have points to the depth at which these corals are being collected as the problem causing factor. There is no rogue microbe attacking healthy elegance. There are many opportunistic organisms that will infect an elegance once it is damaged, or weakened. Which is what Borneman found. IMHO, there is no mystery here. The elegance we, in the states, receive from Indonesia, are collected at depths exceeding 100ft. The PAR, or amount of light, the coral is exposed to increases many fold as the coral is brought to the surface, during collection. This can causes physical damage in corals that posses zooxanthellae. Again, Borenman found this damage.

Thankfully, this is an easy problem to avoid. When we purchase an Indonesian elegance we can rest assured it has suffered damage on a cellular level. The odds of the coral falling victim to an infection, and dieing, is incredibly high. Australian elegance have proven they typically don't have these issues. All we have to do is stop purchasing Indonesian elegance, and buy exclusively Australian elegance. This not only saves the hobbyists money. It also stops the needless slaughter of animals. If we could shut down the exportation of elegance from Indonesia, it would give the population time to recover, and these corals could return to the shallows where our "hardy" Indonesian elegance were collected, back in the good ol days.

The bottom line here is that we MUST stop buying Indonesian elegance. The whole problem stems from over fishing to supply our demand. The only way to cure the problem is to remove the demand.

Agreed. And i'll spread the word not to buy them.

The shipping thing was a shot in the dark. Though, the aussie ones might be stronger/ not prone to the same infection, it could be a case of shipping distance for the indo variety only. I can check with my LFS guy, hes a friend of mine. I can get his contact down in indo as well. I go down there every few months for surfing trips so i can snoop a bit and try and find out where they are collecting them.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't my stance on the subject and i'm no marine expert, i'm just thinking and trying to help understand.

Last edited:
It's all good. Everyone wants to make sense of this problem, simply because, on the surface, it doesn't make sense. In the 80's and 90's these corals were considered beginner corals, and practically bullet proof, so Indonesia exported them in huge numbers. It was reported to be the most popular coral in the hobby, at the time. Then things started to change. They started dieing and displaying strange symptoms. Before long it became nearly impossible to keep one alive. Australia added to the confusion when they started exporting. Their corals move through some of the same importers, wholesalers, and retailers as the Indonesian corals, but don't seem to suffer the same symptoms. This is just bizarre and doesn't seem to have an obvious explanation.

As with most puzzles, the more pieces you put together, the clearer the picture becomes. To get a true picture of what has taken place, we must start with the "hardy" corals of the good old days. Collection for the hobby was much different back then. We didn't have large, high tech, vessels with SCUBA trained divers. We had Indonesian natives, in small boats, collecting what they could on one breath of air. All of our elegance were collected in the shallow water of lagoons, grass flats, or calm reefs. These corals adapted to captivity quite well. After the problems started, Borneman dove the shallows of some collection sites in Indonesia. He found the elegance population devastated. A coral that was once abundant, was now nearly impossible to find. Indonesia was still exporting these corals in large numbers, so they had to be there somewhere. Borneman didn't find them until he dove to the bottom of the reef wall, to depths exceeding 100ft. Here he found corals that were very typical of the ones being imported into the US. Corals that were small, with cone shaped and dirty skeletons. This makes perfect sense. Indonesia had been exporting from the shallows, virtually unchecked, for a couple of decades. With the numbers depleted in the shallows, Indonesia was forced to dive to deeper depths to feed the demand for these corals. This is the tipping point where everything went wrong. As Indonesia started exporting larger numbers of these deeper water corals, our ability to keep them alive plummeted. Today, virtually all of these corals from Indonesia are collected at depth. The common symptoms seen in these corals are an over inflated polyp, and shrunken tentacles. We can cause these symptoms to appear, simply by exposing one of these corals to bright light. The same symptoms appear right after collection. The one major difference between the habitat in the shallows and the habitat at depth, is the amount of light the coral is exposed to. When one of these corals is brought to the surface, the amount of light it is exposed to increases dramatically. As it does, the rate of photosynthesis increases. As photosynthesis increases, the amount of oxidants being produced also increases. It's a well known fact that this process can oxidize, or destroy, the cellular tissue of corals. In Bornemans "project", he found damage to the "cellular architecture" of these corals. This is the physical damage that leaves these coral vulnerable to opportunistic, microbial infection. With coral bleaching events, and many other problems causing a decline in some coral species, there has been a great deal of research done on coral disease. What scientists are finding is that corals are very disease resistant. They typically don't become ill until after there is some physical damage, or other influence, that weakens the coral. Once weakened, the coral is vulnerable to many opportunistic microbes.

The reason Australian elegance don't suffer the same problems is due to the habitat they are collected from. While all Catalaphyllia Jardinei are the same animal, their growth form can vary greatly depending on the environment where they live. Those from nutrient rich lagoons or deep silt beds, have a stunted growth form. They typically grow about a 1/4" per year, with drastic seasonal changes in growth. They are also restricted to a relatively small size. Those that live in cleaner/brighter environments, may grow more than an inch per year, with little to no noticeable seasonal changes in growth. These corals reach much larger sizes. These are the ones that are typically collected in Australia. Before they are exported, these larger corals are fragged. You simply don't get these larger, rapid growing, corals in the harsher, deeper environments. So, Australia is collecting from prime elegance coral habitat, while Indonesia is collecting from a habitat where elegance simply survive.

Thing is, the reason they are collected so deep in Indonesia is because they ran out of shallow water elegance correct. so now, if we shift our purchases
to strictly Aussie elegance, same thing will happen. once they collect the shallow water, they'll go deeper as well. This is one coral that is probaly over collected.

I doubt very seriously that this will happen in Australia. The collection of these, and other animals from the reef, is strictly monitored. They have multiple collection areas. As I understand it, if the numbers of a species falls in one area, that area is closed to collection of that species. The reef brings huge amounts of money into the country from tourism. Australia is not going to let anything interfere with that. I don't feel bad about buying Australian livestock, because I believe they are doing everything possible to insure the harvest is sustainable.

I too think this is a really beautiful coral. I was in Pet#@ one day and they had one on one of their tanks. Looked bad, but I thought I could bring it back. (after all I had rescued other corals from there). It started looking better the second day after putting it in my tank. Needless to say I was happy.....until after about one week in which it started dying and didn't stop. Then, I was disappointed. I would still like to have one though....

Carl

I too think this is a really beautiful coral. I was in Pet#@ one day and they had one on one of their tanks. Looked bad, but I thought I could bring it back. (after all I had rescued other corals from there). It started looking better the second day after putting it in my tank. Needless to say I was happy.....until after about one week in which it started dying and didn't stop. Then, I was disappointed. I would still like to have one though....

Carl

If you're able to keep other LPS corals like bubbles, open brains, dunkens, and Euphyllia's, you should have no problem keeping an Aussie elegance. You just have to insure it is from Australia, provide it with a low flow area, and acclimate it to your lighting. A little food every once in a while wouldn't heart either.

Just wondering if the cause of the condition for Catalaphyllia in aquaria may be related to the ever present weed anemone, Aiptasia. I have considerable Aiptasia in some of my display tanks (see my website at www.aquasearch.net.au ) where I have also had Catalapyllia and other hard corals. I find the proximity of Aiptasia touching these corals causes some retraction of their tissue. The nematocysts of Aiptasia are potent ehough to feel on our hands.
Dr. Rick Braley

Back