The Filter Guys DI Resin

mattiej

I had been using the Kent Marine pre-packaged DI cart and had not been extremely happy with its performance. To replace the resin I had ordered the refillable unit from The Filter Guys. I am presently using two DI carts after a CTA RO unit, yes I know CTA aren't great with rejection rates but my TFC 75 GPD unit will be here Monday. Is anyone else using TFG's resin? Even after running the water through two DI my TDS is around 0.65. I am also looking into getting a new hand-held TDS meter as the one I have can not be calibrated and I am not sure if it is the water or the meter.

Are there any other places that have good bulk DI resins I could look into? I am not against prefilled carts just haven't found a good one yet.

Nothing compares to the custom blended resin cartridges from Spectrapure. They research and blend their resins onsite to fit the most demanding conditions. The MaxCap DI is the most revolutionary cartridge available today with its 3.5x or more useful life. I have personally found it to last more like 5x as long as other cartridges.
You can also buy the SilicaBuster resins in bulk.
Based on research I will not buy any other cartridges.

AZ do you have any preference as to pre-filled vs bulk material? I have read some opinions that the pre-filled cartridges are better due to less channeling of water. I assume if one packs the resin tight and carefully then there shouldn't be too much if any problems.

Thanks for the info by the way, will definitely be upgrading to the maxcap material.

Yes, they are standard 10" cartridges.
Packing the resin tightly definitely helps but the big difference is in the resin itself. Most people are not aware there are literally hundreds of resins available today. There are major suppliers like Resintech, Purolite and Dow but also a number of others.
Not all resin is alike, in fact most are very different from each other, strong, weak, anion, cation etc.
Most RO/DI vendors buy bulk resin from a manufacturer, repackage it as is and pass it on. Spectrapure has been doing a massive bench test of just about every resin you can imagine for several years now. The data they have collected is phenominal and some if not most of the results might surprise you. Suffice to say there are some pretty poor products on the market and without bench testing consumers would not know this. Lots of resins are mismatched to the application. Its not a one size fits all any more than the $69 ebay special RO/DI units are miracle workers.

I understand Spectrapure is one day going to publish the results of some of their testing and make it available to hobbyists like all of us here. in the meantime suffice to say they have been applying this knowledge to every ounce of DI resin they sell and have been doing so for some time. I don't want people to get the wrong idea, I do not work for them in any way shape or form, but I have had the opportunity to meet with them and tour their facility as have lots of reef hobbyists in the Phoenix area. Their products work and work well due to the research and development they have done in the industry. Most of this is not new to them at all since they have been doing this on a much larger scale for years, the reef trade is only a small part of what they do.

Back