The "it" skimmer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15489711#post15489711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guy340
You'll get quite a lot of folks that love the Octos. Then you'll get GSMGuy who'll come on by in a little bit and say that ATB is the way to go.

Can't help but chuckle:rollface:

i posted earlier about the few skimmers, and i didnt really know what u were looking at, as i said i own an octo and LOVE it. i never owned a BK, atb or BM so i cant talk about first hand performance but i can say the octo is great performance. i would go with the xp2000 cone skimmer for octopus for 399. it seems to be a great, match for ur tank. u could double the cash and get something similar from Atb or the royal exclusiv, but i dont see getting double the skimmate. best value for the $$$ is gonna be with the reef octo. i have mine set up for about a week and so far i dumped the cup TWICE. its not even broken in yet. the first day i was getting dark skimmate after the first hour.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15490996#post15490996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cobbobby
Well, now i see your in Japan : ) So what is available over there?

Not a whole lot, but most US retailers are willing to ship here as long as I pay the shipping costs. Even after shipping costs, it's less expensive than the mark up of stuff here.

I don't really have a budget for this, as long the cost can be justified. I care about value relative to price much more than I care about actual price. However, most of the more expensive skimmers seem to be for much larger systems, so I don't really think I'm looking at those.
There's just simply no comparison PERIOD. High end skimmers are what they are b/c of R&D and many just simply copycat them but never the same product. A BK 160 for that system will be a great addition and will only require one purchase and not look back.

KZ also makes great skimmers. As far as skimmers they are like cars some like to drive a convertible and some a truck whatever floats your boat, but in the end a convertible Miata is not the same as a Prsche and a mitsubishi pickup truck is not an F150 LOL.Sorry for the japanese comparison !

Anyways u get what u pay for.

Small list of skimmers in my mind over the years I've never seen a better build and efficiency skimmer than BK.

I currently own a mini gen 200 with SCH, over the years I've owned ETSS/Euroreef/KZ/Many dd and beckets just to name a few.

HTH

Is the mag 7 a little small for the Aquac 180.I might be wrong but i think that is the lowest end pump for that skimmer.I remember peoples having really good luck running ehiem 1262 or something, you would have to look in the club thread.I use a Aqua C 240 with a pressure rated pump and would not trade it for anything.

Since you are in Japan I would get a I-Tech cone skimmer, the 200 model, without the pump. That way you can get the one with the right electricity, you can talk with John about which pump would work best

Re: The "it" skimmer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15486741#post15486741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sangogo
Hi all,

I'm going to be upgrading my setup from my current 50 gallon setup to a 150 gallon setup. As a result, I am looking for a new skimmer. I realize that the market is always changing, companies are going out of business and new things are always coming on the market. As a result, I like to re-ask this question instead of going through the archives.

What would you consider the best skimmer currently on the market?

Based on reviews I read online, I purchased an AquaC EV-180 Protein Skimmer w/ JG Fitting + Mag-Drive 7 Pump. This was a pain in the *** to clean, the pump was actually pretty noisy and the skimmer itself was not consistent. While I hear that many people get great results from this skimmer, a friend of mine and I have not.

Prior to that, I used a cheap no-name skimmer that was pretty good, but did not have much capacity.

I like quiet and I like easy to clean. I have heard that Euro-reef is very good, but I can't seem to locate many retailers carrying this. My friend likes the Octopus series. In general, I try to get as many opinions as I can before making a final purchase.

Also, if you have any online retailers you recommend for this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sangogo:

Just to throw my $0.02, I don't think you could go wrong buying any of the Tunze skimmers, or the Euro-Reef. Both are top notch and pretty easy to service.

You'll have to spend up a bit to get the Euro-reef. The RS-180 would probably be recommended. If you hold out until their VS series is on the street (website says September) the VS-150 should be price competitive with what you have and I'll trust it will be a good product.

Specifically for Tunze, I'd say check out the 9210, 9010 or 9410 depending on your installation and preference. All those options are all-inclusive and in the same price range as your current selection.

-Matt

Re: The "it" skimmer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15486741#post15486741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sangogo
Hi all,

Since I see nothing in here about the compartment size of the sump, height clearance, bioload, etc, I am going to qualify my comments with mine are generic suggestions only and not customized to your system. From what I have read, all others are equipment opinions only and may or may not be a best fit, or work at all with your system, due to physical restrictions.

I'm going to be upgrading my setup from my current 50 gallon setup to a 150 gallon setup. As a result, I am looking for a new skimmer. I realize that the market is always changing, companies are going out of business and new things are always coming on the market. As a result, I like to re-ask this question instead of going through the archives.

What would you consider the best skimmer currently on the market? For your system, the Bubble King Deluxe 200 Internal .

Based on reviews I read online, I purchased an AquaC EV-180 Protein Skimmer w/ JG Fitting + Mag-Drive 7 Pump. This was a pain in the *** to clean, the pump was actually pretty noisy and the skimmer itself was not consistent. While I hear that many people get great results from this skimmer, a friend of mine and I have not.

Prior to that, I used a cheap no-name skimmer that was pretty good, but did not have much capacity.

I like quiet and I like easy to clean. THE BK will be quiet and easy to clean. I have heard that Euro-reef is very good, but I can't seem to locate many retailers carrying this. My friend likes the Octopus series. In general, I try to get as many opinions as I can before making a final purchase.

Also, if you have any online retailers you recommend for this, please let me know. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/ Talk to Jeremy B.

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15489124#post15489124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sangogo
I'd ideally like to run it in the sump, though I suppose I really never gave much thought to an external skimmer. I do not have a dedicated fish room. (Space is at a premium in Tokyo and I'm lucky to have space for a non-nano tank as is.) As I have anemones, it would not be a fish heavy tank.

I don't really have a budget for this, as long the cost can be justified. I care about value relative to price much more than I care about actual price. However, most of the more expensive skimmers seem to be for much larger systems, so I don't really think I'm looking at those. (In my opinion, there's no need to be wasteful and get a skimmer for a 600 gallon system when I'm going to have few fish. Not to mention that it'd take up more space than necessary.)
I enjoy this comment, because value is most important to me, also.. From experience, a premier skimmer choice would be the RE Alpha series, for your tank. Either the 170, at $649 US, or the 200 at $749 US. The 170 is rated up to 200 gallons, US and the Alpha 200 is rated to 325. The rating on these skimmers is true, not inflated. I currently use the RE Alpha 250 and it is a beast. Greater value, IMO, than the BK's.
I would also look at the Vertex line, much less expensive but still a quality skimmer, providing high value at a more than reasonable price. They get rave reviews and provide a big bang value. The three i would recommend based on physical restriction unknowns, are either the IN-180, IN-250 or the IN 280. Please call Jeremy at PA and get his opinion. Ask him for the best skimmer for your situation. Jeremy, I know will provide the unvarnished truth, even if he does not sell the skimmer.

I have a Warner Marine and an H & S skimmer and they both do a good job.

There are many excellent skimmers on the market right now.

Joyce

i think this is the first skimmer thread ever that no one has recommended an ASM anything.

personally, i like my octopus pro 250 (not made anymore?dont know why) with the skimrite/askoll pump on a medium/light stocked(4 tangs 5 others, all under 4") 135 with 55 sump and lots-o-corals.

Back