The making of an External Overflow

the tiler

Premium Member
I have a 125 Gal I got used it had twin overflows I am going to take out the internal overflows and do one external on the back .

Here are the pic of the overflow before

11230overflow_box_before.jpg

Overflow after

11230overflow_box_3.jpg

More will follow as Steve and I cut the back and make the overflow box

Jason

cool. where are you putting this tank? Is it going in the wall where you had that other empty tank when I was there like a year ago?

Sounds like another good thread. I'm going to search for that link I was talking about at my house. The guy that created the overflow on the end and put the Tunze's behind the glass. It's very cool.

Here is the Thread, It's not the greatest thread for info, but this one picture really shows the unique design. Water flows through the eggcrate to feed the Tunze's, the overflow part is the center piece.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=678827&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

overflow1.jpg

Last edited:
If it's possible, see if you can take a short movie of the Glass being cut, or ground, however you do it. I'd like to see that. I just bought a dremel and the Tile bit that Steve recommended.

Just talked to Steve68
It looks like we are going to cut the notch on sunday morning
I will post some more pic then

Jason

Cool jason :)
Sunday morning it is i'll bring my video camera but jason is going to have to stand far away with it cuz i cant get that baby wet, it was my Xmas present.
look at the time jason guess what i just got done doing :beer:

Im thinking about getting up when you are going to bed

Scarletknights Yes it is going in the wall between the two rooms in my basement

Jason

Here is the Progress

The Tank on its Side Getting ready to lay out where is it going to be cut

11230cutting_tank2.jpg

The Tank with the water dam on it

11230Cutting_tank3.jpg

The Tank with the plastic cut out

11230aa.jpg

The tank with the slot cut out

11230aaa.jpg

The overflow box Glass cut and ready to be siliconed together

11230Overflow_glass.jpg

Jason

(sorry for thread hijack) I just drilled my 29 gallon a couple of days ago with a roto zip and a tile cutting bit. It was super easy to do was so suprized how it worked. I am now a beliver that you can drill glass with out any bad effects.

So how long for the actual cutting? Looks like it's over 12" long, how long is it.
Looks like a nice job so far. I will never buy another tank with an overflow, just buy Steve a couple beers and look what you get:)

It took longer to setup than it did to do the cutting
At the most 10 min
It is 16 1/2 long
It cost me Coffee ,Cinnamon Raisn Bagel and a Sausage and Cheese Omelette

Here are the old holes after removing the overflow boxes
I just cut some glass and silicone them in place

11230Holes.jpg

Here is the overflow box silicone waiting to dry

11230box.jpg

Almost time to have a beer:D

Jason

Last edited:
Hey, good video of an Arm there. Really, it's a good video. You move pretty quick. I'm guessing you can see where you are cutting better than the video can. You really Flood the thing dont you?
Very nice.
So, how does the bit hold up? Is it spent after one cut like that, or was that an older bit already?

Nice. Thanks for the rockumentary.

Rotozip? or Dremel? Drill? Anything special about the bit itself? What did you mark the original line with? What is the dam built with?

Thanks for posting the info, progress and video!

How many passes on the cut line do you make scoring it before you attempt the cut? Once you break through do you feed additional water? Is this gravity fed? Is that what the airline tube was for?

Thanks!

very cool. If I ever have a glass tank I'll definitely be doing that!
so the overflow box is just siliconed together and then siliconed onto the back of the tank? does it need any other support or framing? pretty amazing what silicone can hold together.

Back