The official Weather Maker beta thread

karlmarx

This is the new offical thread for the beta of weather maker. The weather maker program is a weather generator program for the AquaController 3 by Neptune Systems. It will turn on and off equipment based on the weather of the city you choose.

To download the newest version go here:
http://www.weathermaker.us/currentversion.jsp

If you choose to participate in the beta please post here with the following information:

AC Version:
AC Firmware:
Chosen Country:
Chosen State(us only):
Chosen City:
Java Version:

Also post any bugs and suggestions on this thread and I will see about working them into the program.

AC Version: AC3
AC Firmware: 3.2
Chosen Country: United States
Chosen State(us only): FL
Chosen City: Fort Myers
Java Version: 1.4.2 ?

For right now, until Sig updates the beta to 1.3.4 - If you want to select a state/city within the US ... make sure to type in "United States" for the country - US, or USA will not work properly.
Sig is already working on it.

Thanks Sig! Great program.

AC Version: AC3
AC Firmware: 3.02S - 1A07
Chosen Country: Fiji
Chosen State(us only):
Chosen City: Suva
Java Version: 1.6.0_02 (Version 6 Update 2)

It doesn't work behind a proxy... any chance you can update it to allow for proxies?

Jul 20, 2007 11:30:41 AM
STDOUT: ComputerEnviroment.getOS()=windows xp
Jul 20, 2007 11:30:42 AM
STDOUT: ComputerEnviroment.getScreenSize()=1280.0 x 1024.0
STDOUT: Waiting till its ok to make weather
STDERR: java.net.UnknownHostException: www.weathermaker.us

Why would you want it to emulate your local weather. This isn't meant to criticize, I'm honestly just curious. Wouldn't it be better to emulate the weather of an area where reefs thrive?

i'm just trying to test it. see if the weather service's feed works reliably ... i will most likely change it in a few days ... :)

Ah, I see... karlmarx, you know what would be very cool, but way overkill? If you could find an online feed for water temperature of different areas and have the ACIII adjust the water temperature to match.

Also, one thing to note...If you are site scraping for this, what happens if the site you are using changes the layout? Is there something it defaults to if it gets off the wall data?

smcnally,

he's pulling it via a RSS feed. "THEORETICALLY" they shouldn't change too much .. but we all know how that works.

and i don't think that it would work for temp ... as temp is not easily adjusted on the AC3 ... not even via TELNET ... it has to be changed within the Program Editor, or on the unit itself.

smcnally:
I dont think there is much in the way of live online water temps that would be accurate or available to all areas. i have thought about doing this myself but your lighting is not threatning to livestock health temps are. What if the water temps are miss calculated at suggest a 68 deg weather? Bad news or what if something sticks open? All around its better to use the seasons table IMO.

Also I think it would be rather cool to have the weather replicate a local area. As a storm rolls in your tank will reflect it by maybe turning off the lights and turning the wavemakers to manual on :D
Depending on how you look at it you might know more about the weather outside by looking at the conditions of your tank.

Reef55:
Please pm me your log file and just bit of information about your proxy and I can work something out for you.

wizsmaster:
Yea i know about that its not really a bug. You can change the city and country to show up diffrently from the rss feed. I'm going to scrap that part of the prefs for a button that will open up a setup window. Until I do if you want to change it you have to change it manually. That includes the rss feed. Its probably easier to just delete the WeatherPrefs.data file and run setup again in most cases. lol lately I have been deleteing it at least 20 times a day looking for bugs.

haha. ok. didn't know if you knew about that.
I'm not concerned about it ... but it will be nice having the setup in there. :)

Here ya go, thanks for all the hard work!

AC Version:ACIII
AC Firmware:3.20S
Chosen Country:FIJI
Chosen State(us only):
Chosen City:Suva
Java Version:6

Very interesting software! I had created something like this in VB but never finished it.

I run my task bar on the left which causes some problems with the pop-up display.

When the weather report does not match a selection what does your program default to? I had a weather condition of "Thunder in the vicinity" which is not on your list.

Very nice work!

AC Version:ACIII
AC Firmware:3.20S
Chosen Country:Jamaica
Chosen State(us only):
Chosen City:Montego Bay
Java Version:6 Update 1

I had fog last week and added the code to ignore making any changes. So if it is light rain and goes to fog it stays on light rain till it sees something it knows.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10382183#post10382183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by karlmarx
I had fog last week and added the code to ignore making any changes. So if it is light rain and goes to fog it stays on light rain till it sees something it knows.
Very good. I just downloaded the latest version and overwrote the executable. When I start the program it says there is a new version (even though it is the newly downloaded version), and if I say YES update or NO do not - the program exits. Should I just delete the config files?

If I put the task bar on the right the pop-up doesn't work correctly either. Looks good though.

Don't you just love debugging beta software??? :) :)

I just redownloaded it, and tried it again. I deleted the log files and the perf and xml folder - same thing. It tells me a new version is available - I selct update and nothing happens. I run it again and try no and I get the Beta expired message... Hmmm...

Back