The SPS Journey Begins

Couple quick updates, but no pics. Forgot to take some. I think I’m going to take a small rock and mount the Mr. Freeze Lepto on it and give it its own island. This thing is a very fast grower and very aggressive. It killed my BC HappyBerry and was working on RR Blue Flame, BC Kermit Granny, BC Honeycomb, and the BC Battlestag along with the No Name Tenius.

Those listed above are now mounted to the rockwork with the other survivors but not in yet in serious danger soon to follow.

I’ll try to grab some updated pics tomorrow. Used the Epoxy sandwich method to mount the frags so I hope they’re urchin proof.

Grabbed two quick pics. First up is the torch garden: (cotton candy (left), silver tips (bottom center), black light (right), hellfire (top center))

1_IMG_0783.jpeg

And then the green slimer frag rock showing impressive growth on the slimer (and bryopsis)

0_IMG_0784.jpeg

Those Slimers do grow fast, I had a colony that started as a 2” frag and ended up bigger than a basketball before I started fragging it.

Grabbed two quick pics. First up is the torch garden: (cotton candy (left), silver tips (bottom center), black light (right), hellfire (top center))

View attachment 32397105

And then the green slimer frag rock showing impressive growth on the slimer (and bryopsis)

View attachment 32397106
That kind of makes me sick 😂

I really wanted to have euphyllia in my tank , but it’s not working out at the moment. I’m cranking the flow back up to keep my SpS happy. Everything was really going great until I reduced the flow in an effort to accommodate a hammer and torch that I just couldn’t resist.

The funny part is I didn’t change the flow in my tank. My tank is pretty high flow (I like to think) but I found the biggest thing is getting them more to the indirect flow areas.

So just a quick update. It appears my “Green Slimer” is not actually a classic “Green Slimer.”

The classic is A. yongei. I believe mine to be Acropora abrolhensis. My reasoning is it appears Yongei is a bright green, generally not very fuzzy, has thinner branches and also has pointy white growth tips. Abrolhensis is a darker green, tends to be fuzzy, has thicker branches and stubbier orange growth tips.

Here’s a good example of A. yongei (not my pic)

IMG_0892.jpeg

Here’s my A. abrolhensis

IMG_0784.jpeg

Thoughts?

I would agree and I think Veron would too.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Newest acquisition - no name from the LFS - I call it, The Fiji B (or Fiji Bottlebrush). This colony has been at the LFS for about 6 weeks now with excellent polyp extension and even a commensal crab (that blends in surprisingly well). It’s a cruddy blue pic but under whites it’s a light pink with green tips. Will be interesting to see how it colors up.
0_IMG_0968.jpeg

Newest acquisition - no name from the LFS - I call it, The Fiji B (or Fiji Bottlebrush). This colony has been at the LFS for about 6 weeks now with excellent polyp extension and even a commensal crab (that blends in surprisingly well). It’s a cruddy blue pic but under whites it’s a light pink with green tips. Will be interesting to see how it colors up.
View attachment 32399522
Sweet and the Acro crab to boot. If I may, what did that set you back?

Yea this LFS I can usually find good deals on. Every now and then they get some wacky pricing (like their $100 for a single purple and green blasto polyp). But most of the Fiji stuff has been reasonable

Back