The SPS Journey Begins

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Now that I’ve got my tank balancing out and will soon have my dosing hooked up (I got everything just need to connect it and make necessary adjustments) I’ve wandered into the extraordinary world of SPS. Some of these I have had and they’ve been living but not thriving. Others I just got yesterday. First here is the dream list of what I want:

ORA Pearl Berry
ORA German Blue
Oregon Tort
Garf Bonsai
Tyree Red Dragon
OG Tyree Purple Monster
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Shades of fall
Palmers Blue Milli
ORA Hawkins
Greg Hillers Aquamarine Jewel
Ice fire Enchinata
Palleta Pink Tip
Z’s Blue Floyd
Pengs Heart of the Ocean (see jda on R2R)
Jason Fox Fox Flame
Vivids Confetti
ACI Voodoo Majick

Here’s what I’ve had - and colors aren’t the greatest as the tank hasn’t been maintained for SPS)

Back behind the green sinularia or nepthea or whatever is my oldest SPS -

BC Pink Sandollar Monti
IMG_9321.jpeg

Next Oldest (been through a rainbow BTA and Hair Algae attack and back)

Greg C Acroberry
IMG_9318.jpeg

Next up is an artificial frag rock with 3 - A Green Slimer Stag, a birdsnest of some time and a montipora digitata. Not sure what kind on the last two as hair algae killed the main frags and only have small sections of polyps left (excuse the poor polyp extension…they just got brushed by the algae scraper)

IMG_9317.jpeg

IMG_9320.jpeg
IMG_9319.jpeg

The latest additions:

A “Frag” of Green Apple Monti Cap
IMG_9313.jpeg

An Unknown Acro:
IMG_9314.jpeg

Mr. Freeze Lepto
IMG_9316.jpeg

That’s my start and we’ll see where it goes.

Last edited:
Once I get my doser set up, I’ll be dosing all for reef and should help maintain balance.

It’s just an interesting color I can’t recall seeing

So apparently if I use google…it’s showing as either Blue Frankenstein Lepto or Mr. Freeze Lepto. Still an interesting color combo to me.

I think the unknown Acro is going to turn out very unique. It’s got a brownish red base with green undertones and brownish maroon polyps. It’s hard to capture the color to say the least but this is the best I could do

IMG_9330.jpeg

I think the unknown Acro is going to turn out very unique. It’s got a brownish red base with green undertones and brownish maroon polyps. It’s hard to capture the color to say the least but this is the best I could do

View attachment 32388481
If you have photoshop, gimp or other photo app that can do white balance, I find just using the 'auto' colour or white balance settings in those apps will often correct the colour closer to what your eye sees without any otherwise manual adjustments.

If you have photoshop, gimp or other photo app that can do white balance, I find just using the 'auto' colour or white balance settings in those apps will often correct the colour closer to what your eye sees without any otherwise manual adjustments.

I usually manually adjust but that pic is just the orphek 15k filter and the polarized lens I think? And is pretty accurate to color except vibrancy

Now that I’ve got my tank balancing out and will soon have my dosing hooked up (I got everything just need to connect it and make necessary adjustments) I’ve wandered into the extraordinary world of SPS. Some of these I have had and they’ve been living but not thriving. Others I just got yesterday. First here is the dream list of what I want:

ORA Pearl Berry
ORA German Blue
Oregon Tort
Garf Bonsai
Tyree Red Dragon
OG Tyree Purple Monster
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Shades of fall
Palmers Blue Milli
ORA Hawkins
Ice fire Enchinata
Palleta Pink Tip
Z’s Blue Floyd

Here’s what I’ve had - and colors aren’t the greatest as the tank hasn’t been maintained for SPS)

BC Pink Sandollar Monti
View attachment 32388334

Greg C Acroberry
View attachment 32388335

Next up is an artificial frag rock with 3 - A Green Slimer Stag, a birdsnest of some time and a montipora digitata. Not sure what kind on the last two as hair algae killed the main frags and only have small sections of polyps left (excuse the poor polyp extension…they just got brushed by the algae scraper)

View attachment 32388336
View attachment 32388338View attachment 32388341

The latest additions:

View attachment 32388342

An Unknown Acro:
View attachment 32388340

And another Unknown - Thinking lepto or Psammacora?
View attachment 32388339

Nice! Let me know how things go down the road with the frags. I have about half of your dream list and will hook you up if I can.

Nice! Let me know how things go down the road with the frags. I have about half of your dream list and will hook you up if I can.
That would be awesome! The one I thought that I may never be able to get is the OG Purple Monster. I have a guy a couple hours away that appears to have it, with the white polyps and all.

I got my Dos hooked up the other day. Just need to get a water change in to balance my numbers and then get the all for reef hooked up. It’s already mixed just need to get the tubes hooked up. After that it’s just making sure the dose is the correct amount. I use about .5 dkh a day which shows to be 10.79ml or something per day of AFR. So I figured to start with 5ml and see how the test looks.

ORA Pearl Berry
ORA German Blue
Oregon Tort
Garf Bonsai
Tyree Red Dragon
OG Tyree Purple Monster
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Shades of fall
Palmers Blue Milli
ORA Hawkins
Ice fire Enchinata
Palleta Pink Tip
Z’s Blue Floyd

BC Pink Sandollar Monti
View attachment 32388334

Greg C Acroberry
View attachment 32388335

View attachment 32388336
View attachment 32388338View attachment 32388341

The latest additions:

View attachment 32388342

An Unknown Acro:
View attachment 32388340

And another Unknown - Thinking lepto or Psammacora?
View attachment 32388339

I'd say Leptastrea, not leptoseris.

That would be awesome! The one I thought that I may never be able to get is the OG Purple Monster. I have a guy a couple hours away that appears to have it, with the white polyps and all.

I got my Dos hooked up the other day. Just need to get a water change in to balance my numbers and then get the all for reef hooked up. It’s already mixed just need to get the tubes hooked up. After that it’s just making sure the dose is the correct amount. I use about .5 dkh a day which shows to be 10.79ml or something per day of AFR. So I figured to start with 5ml and see how the test looks.

You and me both! I don't have the purple monster and the ones that do are guarding it with their life. It is such a slow grower and hard to spread around quickly. I think there will be more frags of it available in the future. Who has it around you? Ohio is a stick head haven it seems. I would say snag a piece if he is willing to cut you one.

I have these from your list. All are still small except for the HOTO.

ORA Pearl Berry
Oregon Tort
Garf Bonsai
Tyree Red Dragon
Palmers Blue Milli
ORA Hawkins
Z’s Blue Floyd
Pengs Heart of the Ocean

Sounds good. I have never used AFR but have heard good things. I put a CARX on the system and said the hell with chasing numbers. After adding the CARX with Kalk my system has never been as stable as it is. Alk barely shifts .10dkh in a weeks time. I had no choice though. I was at around 500ml a day of Soda Ash/Calcium Chloride dosing before switching.

I looked into a CARX, but determined it wasn’t worth it at this time (with my currently minimal dosing) after my first try having one shipped had it arrive broken.

It’s a guy on Facebook that has one, I can’t recall his name but I have it saved in my messages. I think @therman also has one but he doesn’t frag it that often if at all.

You and me both! I don't have the purple monster and the ones that do are guarding it with their life. It is such a slow grower and hard to spread around quickly. I think there will be more frags of it available in the future. Who has it around you? Ohio is a stick head haven it seems. I would say snag a piece if he is willing to cut you one.

I have these from your list. All are still small except for the HOTO.

ORA Pearl Berry
Oregon Tort
Garf Bonsai
Tyree Red Dragon
Palmers Blue Milli
ORA Hawkins
Z’s Blue Floyd
Pengs Heart of the Ocean

Sounds good. I have never used AFR but have heard good things. I put a CARX on the system and said the hell with chasing numbers. After adding the CARX with Kalk my system has never been as stable as it is. Alk barely shifts .10dkh in a weeks time. I had no choice though. I was at around 500ml a day of Soda Ash/Calcium Chloride dosing before switching.
2 part is so unstable. You don't think much of it until you switch. I do have a daily alk curve, but it's gradual and consistent. That's only because I dose kalk at a set rate, continously. I could dial it in, but I don't honestly care to. Less timers, less failure points. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I put a CARX on the system and said the hell with chasing numbers. After adding the CARX with Kalk my system has never been as stable as it is. Alk barely shifts .10dkh in a weeks time. I had no choice though. I was at around 500ml a day of Soda Ash/Calcium Chloride dosing before switching.
CARX as in the Ca reactor media? If yes, assume you’re running it in a reactor???

Back