The T5 Q&a Thread - split

This is off topic but something I read about. There's talk about blue light wavelength exposure and developing macular degeneration. Anyone have any info regarding this in our hobby and what this exposure from T5s/LEDs over time can do to our eyes?

This is off topic but something I read about. There's talk about blue light wavelength exposure and developing macular degeneration. Anyone have any info regarding this in our hobby and what this exposure from T5s/LEDs over time can do to our eyes?
I actually looked into this a while back. If you have extended exposure to Violet light it can lead to issues with your cornea. The extended exposure is more along the lines of direct transmission into your eyes though. We are only getting reflected light from the reef and the intensity is very low compared to what is needed to cause corneal issues.

I have a RSM C-250, currently running front to back
Red Sea Actinic
ATI coral +
ATI Blue +
ATI Blue +
ATI Coral +
ATI Blue +

One of the Coral + recently replaced a ATI Purple +.
I've recently noticed some cyano which seems to pop up when the bulbs get a little older so it's time to start changing the bulbs.
I saw this combo recommended by Matt:
Blue +
Super Actinic
Aquablue Azure
Fiji Purple
Actinic Blue
Aquablue Azure

but my LFS carries the ATI bulbs and no single online vendor seems to carry all of these bulbs. The Fiji Purple seems to be the hardest to find. I like a slightly bluer look but my current combo seems to over do it. Any suggestions for a 6-bulb combo would be appreciated. Thanks.

This one?
Blue +
Super Actinic
Aquablue Azure
Fiji Purple
Actinic Blue
Aquablue Azure

I was wondering if I should buy an extra blue bulb to play with the look. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

This one?
Blue +
Super Actinic
Aquablue Azure
Fiji Purple
Actinic Blue
Aquablue Azure

I was wondering if I should buy an extra blue bulb to play with the look. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yep. My new fixture arrives Wednesday, I should have it up and running by the afternoon. If not I'm completely happy with the color I'll be ordering a few bulbs to swap around.

I am looking to get a Giesemann Matrixx ii fixture, maybe the dimtec. What combo should I go if I dont want it to be overly blue?

I was thinking:
3 Aquablue coral
3 Actinic Blue
2 Super Purple

I was thinking of maybe subbing one aquablue coral for a tropic.

I've been a loyal LED user for about 5 years now but recently decided to order the Giesemann Auroras Hybrid to add a few T5s into the equation......while I've been waiting for it to arrive in Australia I've been looking at other Giesemann lighting and the Matrixx II Dimtec is pulling me in. I've never run T5 on its own before so I was hoping people could just point me in the right direction!
Are people happy with just T5s or would you prefer an led Hybrid? Is it at all possible to get any shimmer? (I'd be buying the 8 bulb 5' model (640w). Does anyone run the Dimtec?

I'm not sure what's holding me back from changing my order, I think I just need conformation that the light will create the Acropora garden I'm looking for! At $2400 and $480 for every bulb change I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!

I've been a loyal LED user for about 5 years now but recently decided to order the Giesemann Auroras Hybrid to add a few T5s into the equation......while I've been waiting for it to arrive in Australia I've been looking at other Giesemann lighting and the Matrixx II Dimtec is pulling me in. I've never run T5 on its own before so I was hoping people could just point me in the right direction!
Are people happy with just T5s or would you prefer an led Hybrid? Is it at all possible to get any shimmer? (I'd be buying the 8 bulb 5' model (640w). Does anyone run the Dimtec?

I'm not sure what's holding me back from changing my order, I think I just need conformation that the light will create the Acropora garden I'm looking for! At $2400 and $480 for every bulb change I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!

I am happy with just t-5 but having a few leds is nice to have dusk to dawn..
I am not a fan of dimming t-5 ...
Also the royal blue leds are nice for pop...
I would not run pure led, tried it and didn't like it.
I have a matrixx II and love it but the Giesemann hybrid looks awsume too..

Ok Thanks.

What are you thoughts on the GE 6500 bulb for growth? I hear it is pretty yellow, but seeing as I have plenty of leds I don't think I'd have any color issues and it's definitely not a blue bulb (that I dislike).

I have heard the 6500 is a par monster... True?

What about it promoting nuisance algae growth... Problems?

I use it on my frag tanks because it is cheap and especially good for growth.
Yea it is green/yellow.It also has a nice chunk of red which aint really good for growth but is for coloring up a coral. It is more like a grow light.

Another one that aint so bad is the Giesemann tropic (6500k) which I might switch too.. I know Adam at battle corals has been using it on his frag tanks with good success...

I am happy with just t-5 but having a few leds is nice to have dusk to dawn..
I am not a fan of dimming t-5 ...
Also the royal blue leds are nice for pop...
I would not run pure led, tried it and didn't like it.
I have a matrixx II and love it but the Giesemann hybrid looks awsume too..

Thanks for your reply mate. I would never run lighting without a ramp up and down function which is why I've mostly used LEDs. Now that the Dimtec is Bluetooth compatible and runnable though I'm tempted. What is it you don't like about winnable T5s?

Thanks for your reply mate. I would never run lighting without a ramp up and down function which is why I've mostly used LEDs. Now that the Dimtec is Bluetooth compatible and runnable though I'm tempted. What is it you don't like about winnable T5s?

Ramping up and down is purely for human enjoyment, the corals don't care a bit. If its something you really really like, by all means do it, but it saves you a lot of money to just use a standard on/off fixture. Dimming T5 bulbs result in shorter lifespans and you must burn the bulbs in at 100% before dimming or you will further decrease their output and lifespan. It seems like a lot of work to me.

I agree with the above. I have a dimable fixture but never use the feature. I actually wanted the standard fixture, but at the time I ordered they were not available and premium aquatics upgraded me at no charge...

Ramping up and down is purely for human enjoyment, the corals don't care a bit. If its something you really really like, by all means do it, but it saves you a lot of money to just use a standard on/off fixture. Dimming T5 bulbs result in shorter lifespans and you must burn the bulbs in at 100% before dimming or you will further decrease their output and lifespan. It seems like a lot of work to me.

You're absolutely right about ramping, but we keep reef tanks for human enjoyment so I like to see the full effects off sunrise/full daylight/sunset on the reef. With my current LEDs my sunset is my favourite time of the day, the lights ramp down, my MP40s do the same, it is a very calm period and this is definitely reflected in the behaviour of the fish.
I have read about dimming shortening the lifespan of T5 bulbs, although apparently this isn't as prevalent in the T5HO bulbs.

I had typed up a big reply last night on my phone and hit the back button anyway.. Yea T-5 are really not made to be ramped and are meant to be run at 100 percent current. Anything less you have a color/spectrum shift.

Anyway I do think dusk too dawn is beneficial but not for the coral like mentioned above but for the fish, just less stressful on them. I have seen lights go out and a fish darted right into a anemone. A fish needs to find a spot for the night to feel safe.

Honestly I didn't get the dim-able because it cost allot more. If I were to do it again I might buy it and just dim just two lamps and then just ramp the others with a timer.

By the way the Matrixx II 6 lamps I believe is actually a 8 lamp fixture they just dont install the other ballast and sockets. There are one empty reflectors on each side.. You could put a row of strip leds in it for dusk/dawn of even some royal/blue for more pop in those slots.

One of the advantages of the Matrixx is they only use 2 lamps ballast at least on the 6 lamps fixture non-dimmable and I am guessing it would be the same for the 8 - lamp. My ATI fixtures used a 4-lamp and a 2 lamp ballast, so the Matrixx gives you a little more control.

I know there is very little info on these fixtures because they are so new.
I also know there was a thread where a guy claimed he had a new fixture fry but I believe since he has never replied back it was something on his side. I dont think that should scare people away from this fixture.

I have been running the fixture since March and love it. I have switched to Giesemann lamps too and love them.. Anyone who has seen my growth pictures. I am switching my ATI fixture over to Giesemann lamps too...

The Matrixx has such a cool look with it being aluminum with powder coat finish and not just a piece of bent aluminum. I guess Coralvue can special order them now in different colors.

The glass on top of the fixture adds some weight to the fixture so it is heavier.

I hope the Matrixx last long term and it feels very well built so it should. My ATI fixtures have been pretty reliable but I have had fan issues with all of them. I have had fan power supply issues and a ballast issue once. By the way I have the ATI T-5 Powermodule too which was the higher end fixture that was discontinued for the lower end Sunpower. They them used the Sunpower name for the hybrid fixture. I do have a Sunpower too.. I have always been pretty happy with my ATI fixtures.

I decided to put the info in the t-5 thread because I get so many pm's on the fixture and allot of people read this thread. But anyway I defiantly think this fixture is worth the extra money and is nice to see another high end fixture on the market. Nice to have a choice.

Last edited:
Just received my 6x24 sunpower, so excited :beer:

So far I'm running front to back

Blue+
Super actinic
Aqua blue azure
Fiji purple
Actinic blue
Aquablue azure

I plan on running my long cycle 11.5 hrs and my short cycle 6.5hrs. Currently my long cycle is slot 2 and 5 being super actinic and actinic blue. What would you run for the long cycle?

Love the balance of the colors when all the bulbs are on.

Blue+
Super actinic
Aqua blue azure
Fiji purple
Actinic blue
Aquablue azure

I plan on running my long cycle 11.5 hrs and my short cycle 6.5hrs. Currently my long cycle is slot 2 and 5 being super actinic and actinic blue. What would you run for the long cycle?

I think how you have it set up sounds pretty darn good! Congrats!

I had typed up a big reply last night on my phone and hit the back button anyway.. Yea T-5 are really not made to be ramped and are meant to be run at 100 percent current. Anything less you have a color/spectrum shift.

Anyway I do think dusk too dawn is beneficial but not for the coral like mentioned above but for the fish, just less stressful on them. I have seen lights go out and a fish darted right into a anemone. A fish needs to find a spot for the night to feel safe.

Honestly I didn't get the dim-able because it cost allot more. If I were to do it again I might buy it and just dim just two lamps and then just ramp the others with a timer.

By the way the Matrixx II 6 lamps I believe is actually a 8 lamp fixture they just dont install the other ballast and sockets. There are one empty reflectors on each side.. You could put a row of strip leds in it for dusk/dawn of even some royal/blue for more pop in those slots.

One of the advantages of the Matrixx is they only use 2 lamps ballast at least on the 6 lamps fixture non-dimmable and I am guessing it would be the same for the 8 - lamp. My ATI fixtures used a 4-lamp and a 2 lamp ballast, so the Matrixx gives you a little more control.

I know there is very little info on these fixtures because they are so new.
I also know there was a thread where a guy claimed he had a new fixture fry but I believe since he has never replied back it was something on his side. I dont think that should scare people away from this fixture.

I have been running the fixture since March and love it. I have switched to Giesemann lamps too and love them.. Anyone who has seen my growth pictures. I am switching my ATI fixture over to Giesemann lamps too...

The Matrixx has such a cool look with it being aluminum with powder coat finish and not just a piece of bent aluminum. I guess Coralvue can special order them now in different colors.

The glass on top of the fixture adds some weight to the fixture so it is heavier.

I hope the Matrixx last long term and it feels very well built so it should. My ATI fixtures have been pretty reliable but I have had fan issues with all of them. I have had fan power supply issues and a ballast issue once. By the way I have the ATI T-5 Powermodule too which was the higher end fixture that was discontinued for the lower end Sunpower. They them used the Sunpower name for the hybrid fixture. I do have a Sunpower too.. I have always been pretty happy with my ATI fixtures.

I decided to put the info in the t-5 thread because I get so many pm's on the fixture and allot of people read this thread. But anyway I defiantly think this fixture is worth the extra money and is nice to see another high end fixture on the market. Nice to have a choice.

Those Matrix fixtures are super nice, and I am glad that there is another option out there besides the Sunpower if you want to go T5-only with the correct cooling and reflectors. I wish that ATI hadn't discontinued the Powermodule!

Blue+
Super actinic
Aqua blue azure
Fiji purple
Actinic blue
Aquablue azure

Can you please post a pic???

Thanks in advance...

Back