The T5 Q&a Thread - split

Hey Grim,

I have a 48g (44x16x16) tank. I am happy with the growth but not the color. Currently using 4x54w T5. Should i go to 6 or stay at 4? And what combo would you use? They are separate 2 bulb fixtures so I would be able to turn them on and off in sets of 2 (4=front 2 back 2, 6=front 2 middle 2 back 2)

Thanks in advance!

3 ATI Blue Plus and 1 ATI Purple Plus. Purple plus placed 2nd from the front/

Grim, I asked you for advice back in 2009 on some T5 bulbs for my 8x54w ATI Powermodule and here is what was recommended:

1 Fiji Purple
4 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Aquablue Special
1 UVL Super Actinic

Would you recommend anything different today?

p.s. Thank you very much for all of your help and advice.

5 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Purple Plus 1 ATI Coral Plus.

Hello all, I am starting a new 90 gallons(48'' long 18'' wide) system that I want to be mostly SPS, I want to do a ATI Sunpower unit and on there web it says the 6 bulb unit is good for 110g, do you think this would be good or do I have to go to an 8 bulb unit, and for bulb's below is what I thought from what I have been reading on here. Thank you for any help.

ati blue+
ati purple +
ati aqua blue sp
ati blue+
ati blue+

6 lamps are enough and that mix is fine.

Grim, thank you. One final question, how is the LED lighting working out? I spent thousands (and thousands more) on Solaris and it was a dismal failure. I would love to go back to LED, but I am scared it is just not good enough.

Grim, thank you. One final question, how is the LED lighting working out? I spent thousands (and thousands more) on Solaris and it was a dismal failure. I would love to go back to LED, but I am scared it is just not good enough.

I like it. I have a green Monti Cap and orange digitalia that have both grown really well and I didn't build a LED fixture designed to have high PAR.

Hi grim,

For 60x28x18 inch (length x width x height)tank which light set will be more suitable? Ati 10x54w pm or Ati 8x80w sunpower? Thank

Grim,

Looking for advice for a new set-up I'll be installing in the next couple weeks. It will be a 150gal 72"x27"x18" tank with 8" canopy. Fixture is (tentatively) an ATI Sunpower 6x80W.

The uniqueness of this system is that it will be a peninsula style set-up viewable from all four sides.

I was looking for a good light combination and configuration that will be balanced from every angle.

This will be and upgrade from a 110g with 2- 4x54W (36") fixtures. I have mostly LPS, Softies and a RBTA. Or should I say 3 RBTA's as he has spilt twice in three months. I would like to venture into SPS's in the future.

Thanks,

Grim,

Looking for advice for a new set-up I'll be installing in the next couple weeks. It will be a 150gal 72"x27"x18" tank with 8" canopy. Fixture is (tentatively) an ATI Sunpower 6x80W.

The uniqueness of this system is that it will be a peninsula style set-up viewable from all four sides.

I was looking for a good light combination and configuration that will be balanced from every angle.

This will be and upgrade from a 110g with 2- 4x54W (36") fixtures. I have mostly LPS, Softies and a RBTA. Or should I say 3 RBTA's as he has spilt twice in three months. I would like to venture into SPS's in the future.

Thanks,

You're gonna want the 8 lamp version over that beast.

Front
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply, if I use the 8x54w sunpower, am I correct to say I will not be able to place coral 6 inch at both end of the tank as there is no light coverage. Thanks

Lower light coral will be fine at the ends. you might notice the upper ends are slightly dimmer than the rest of the tank but it's a cool look.

Grim, lot of information to decide... I am ready to get the 6 bulbs ATI Sunpower for my 72"x 18"x 22 but i am between the 80 vs 54 watt. What is your recommendation because you said that the ends will seem dimmer which will be cool ???

Any pics so i can decide ?????

Thanks in advance...

Grim, lot of information to decide... I am ready to get the 6 bulbs ATI Sunpower for my 72"x 18"x 22 but i am between the 80 vs 54 watt. What is your recommendation because you said that the ends will seem dimmer which will be cool ???

Any pics so i can decide ?????

Thanks in advance...

on a 72 inch tank you no doubt want the 60" 80 watt fixture.

60 inch retro on a 125 The lights were just a few inches above the tank and the ballasts were mounted at the ends so it exaggerated the shadows at the ends

38553tank.jpg

Thanks and yes agree. To much shadow in the ends. I will go with your recomendation and put it 8"from the surface...

Once again, Thanks...

Well I took Grim's advice about a year ago on what bulbs to use over my 95g and the color and growth were unbeatable.

Now I'm converting my 300g into a reef and I'm wondering if I should go with 2 6x54 fixtures or 2 8x54 fixtures. Tank is 96" wide and 30" tall. I have a 8x54 nova extreme on the 95 right now and was debating on just picking up another one for the 300. Some people are telling me that since my nova is a single reflector, that I could use a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors and it would be the same.

I dont mind the idea of retrofit either.......

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Back