The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 250W aqua medic just died on me. Looking to get a new fixture and was thinking about either a 4x24 ati sunpower or the 6x24. This will be on the 20x20" Solana tank, but technically it is 20x15" if you ignore the false wall. My tank is and will stay sps only.

Will both of these be sufficient? Obviously the 6x24 would be better, but I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

My 250W aqua medic just died on me. Looking to get a new fixture and was thinking about either a 4x24 ati sunpower or the 6x24. This will be on the 20x20" Solana tank, but technically it is 20x15" if you ignore the false wall. My tank is and will stay sps only.

Will both of these be sufficient? Obviously the 6x24 would be better, but I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

4 lamps should do it if you are only lighting 15" back

4 lamps should do it if you are only lighting 15" back

What bulb combo would work best with the 4 lamp unit? Two aquablue, one procolor, and a blue plus?

Do you think I'd end up regretting the 4 bulb? My rock structure is only about 10" front - back, so I wouldn't really be utilizing all 6 it seems. The only thing I guess I'm worried about is I'll be losing two bulbs I could use for color options.

My tank is a 150gallon 4ft. long and 30" tall. Will a 8x54watt T5 fixture be enough light for my tank? I am going to start with soft corals but would like to be able to do a mixed reef in the future.

What bulb combo would work best with the 4 lamp unit? Two aquablue, one procolor, and a blue plus?

Do you think I'd end up regretting the 4 bulb? My rock structure is only about 10" front - back, so I wouldn't really be utilizing all 6 it seems. The only thing I guess I'm worried about is I'll be losing two bulbs I could use for color options.

4 are fine.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

My tank is a 150gallon 4ft. long and 30" tall. Will a 8x54watt T5 fixture be enough light for my tank? I am going to start with soft corals but would like to be able to do a mixed reef in the future.

I'd get the ATI Powermodule or the new Ice Cap or Tek elite but yes, GOOD 8x54 should do it. If it were me I would do the powermodule unless we get numbers on the two new offerings. I would hope the Ice Cap will be in the ballpark. Be very cool if the Tek will too. I like ATI but would rather be recoing US made equipment.

grim u test the icecap\uvl bulbs yet ? been running them for a few months now, 4 of the 20k 3 of the 14k and a gies 6k color is really around a 15k temp and liking it so far, but dont think the bulbs really reach their potential color with out the ice cap ballast, this is on a tek 36" 8 bulb fixture

Hi I am new to reef keeping. I have a 240g tank 8 x 2 x 2. I would like to beable to keep some corals in
it & possibly a anemone. My LFS said that I could go with two 48 inch T-5 fixtures. They would be 2 bulb 54w
high output fixtures. Would these work or do I need more light? What would you recommend?

hey grim, what you recommend for bulb combo for two 6 bulb ATI sunpowers over a 144"Lx30"Wx18"T. I will have mainly SPS and LPS and will concentrate the SPS in the center of the light.

Thanks

grim u test the icecap\uvl bulbs yet ? been running them for a few months now, 4 of the 20k 3 of the 14k and a gies 6k color is really around a 15k temp and liking it so far, but dont think the bulbs really reach their potential color with out the ice cap ballast, this is on a tek 36" 8 bulb fixture

Look nice, PAR could be higher on the blue lamps but it isn't bad.

Hi I am new to reef keeping. I have a 240g tank 8 x 2 x 2. I would like to beable to keep some corals in
it & possibly a anemone. My LFS said that I could go with two 48 inch T-5 fixtures. They would be 2 bulb 54w
high output fixtures. Would these work or do I need more light? What would you recommend?

I hope you mean 8 x 54 watt fixtures because that is what you need, 2 of those.

Sunlight Supply Tek would let you keep a few SPS on top of the rocks and about everything else throughout the tank properly place.

The ATI Fixtures for clams and lots of SPS

6 lamp nova extreme pro for softies and a few LPS

hey grim, what you recommend for bulb combo for two 6 bulb ATI sunpowers over a 144"Lx30"Wx18"T. I will have mainly SPS and LPS and will concentrate the SPS in the center of the light.

Thanks

Long as you understand the SPS need to be concentrated under the lights

Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
by ATI or 54W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent
by Giesemann im at a coin toss

I doubt you have room for four lamps, with the reflectors you are talking 10".

I would do an ATI Blue Plus with a KZ Fiji Purple behind it. If you could do 4 I would do

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
Halide
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

The MH reflector is an Icecap and is about 8 3/4", like this one here:

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_icecap_hqi_250_400_pendant-ap.html

Pretty sure I can fit 4 in there, I'll have about 4.5-5 inches for them on each side of the halide reflector. I already have the MH stuff from a previous tank, but will be purchasing the T5 retros. I'm almost thinking about ditching the MH all together for T5. Any advantage in that, or should I stick with my original plans for a MH/T5 combo? I see a lot of good looking tanks with MH/T5 combos, but that 36" 6 bulb TEK light is mighty tempting and not much more than doing retros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back