The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grim,

My bulbs are reaching the one year mark and I'm about to order from ReefGeek. My current setup in my powermodule is:

Front

ATI AquaBlue Sp
ATI Blue + <---Dusk/Dawn
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plue
ATI Blue + <---Dusk/Dawn
ATI Aqua Blue Sp

I liked my growth and color was good, but I'm wavering on a couple of questions.
1. I think I want it a little bluer.
2. I've heard people say that they think AB Specials washout the coral's colors alittle bit, I don't think it looks that bad, but I haven't seen any other blubs in person. Also, now I see you recommending the GE 6500K and UL Actinic White lights.
3. If I go with the GE6500K should I go with the Actinic White or Fiji Purple.

I was thinking the following:

Front:

KZ Fuji purple or UL Actinic White
ATI Blue + <--- Dusk/Dawn
ATI Blue +
GE 6.5K
ATI Blue + <--- Dusk/Dawn
ATI Blue +

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. O yea, I have mostly Acros and montipora, with a couple of acans.

Thanks,
Matt

Try this
Front
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Actinic White
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

The Actinic White will help make up for the elimination of the other Aquablue but you will still get an overall more blue look. You wouldn't want that or the fiji purple as the front lamp because it will make the tank look purple.

Today, 02:41 PM * #6
TNTFISHY
Registered Member
So I'm now considering the 3 foot 6 bulb Tek light, 6 bulb Tek Elite, and the 4 bulb ATI Sunpower. The sunpower and elite are roughly the sam price, but are the sunpowers 4 bulbs enough for mixed reef? Tank size again is 36x18x 21 tall. Opinions?

I would rather have 6 lamps over a 18" deep tank. Tek elite would probably be OK on a 21" tall tank.

Do you guys have pictures of your setup? I'm trying to understand all the color combos you guys are suggesting, but it is really hard to "visual" without a picture. Thanks. :confused:

Add a Blue Plus and Aquablue to what I listed for you. Arrange them so you get lamps you like on the dusk/dawn.

Or bring that POS down to Aurora and let uncle grim try to put some real reflectors in there :D

I could come down and let you work some magic. I will be working in Denver Thursday and could come by after 5:30 or just come down this weekend if thats too late.

Purrrdy, Tanks nice too :spin1:

Now for the down side. Unless I am just not seeing them unplug that thing until you add fans. You will kill the lamps if you don't cool them.
I do have a 6" clip on blowing across the bulbs...

What would you suggest?

Is it true that I only need to cool the ends of the bulbs?

Question

Question

I purchased the tek 6 bulb 48" light and it came with 2 actinic whites, 2 aquasuns, and 2 super actinics. They have been used less than a month, do you think these bulbs will be ok? And if so what order should I have them in? I have the 75 gallon tank and want it to be an sps tank. Thanks

Grim Reefer, Im getting ready to order my T5 setup from ReefGeek. Im going to use 8 36" T5's on 2 Icecap 660's & AquaIlluminations reflectors. This will be going over my new tank (42L X 27W x 21T).

What do you recommend for a bulb combo?

On my current tank I have a single 250w Radium and 4 VHO supper actinics. I like the color, so I guess Im shooting for something similar with more pop and less heat.

Thanks

I purchased the tek 6 bulb 48" light and it came with 2 actinic whites, 2 aquasuns, and 2 super actinics. They have been used less than a month, do you think these bulbs will be ok? And if so what order should I have them in? I have the 75 gallon tank and want it to be an sps tank. Thanks

It would look butt ugly.

At best use one of each with 3 blue plus

Front
Blue Plus
Actinic White
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Actinic

You can try reversing the first and last lamp to see if you like having the actinic in front but I am not sure it would be enough to wash out the pink of the Actinic White.

If you have to run what you got use the actinics first and last.

Grim Reefer, Im getting ready to order my T5 setup from ReefGeek. Im going to use 8 36" T5's on 2 Icecap 660's & AquaIlluminations reflectors. This will be going over my new tank (42L X 27W x 21T).

What do you recommend for a bulb combo?

On my current tank I have a single 250w Radium and 4 VHO supper actinics. I like the color, so I guess Im shooting for something similar with more pop and less heat.

Thanks

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Should be pretty close. Wire it so the first 4 blue plus lamps are on one ballast for dusk/dawn

Thanks!

How will the actinic white & 6500k effect the color? What would a Fiji Purple do to the
color?

How would the following differ in color from what you recommended above?

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

If you had a tank my size, how many bulbs would you use (42L X 27W x 21T)?

I should also add, this will be a full SPS tank.

Thanks for your help!!!

Grim,
Im thinking of getting one of the new Redsea Max 250 aquariums. They are about 65gals and come with 6 T5, 39watt bulbs built into the hood. There are no single reflectors but instead a kind of, half round piece of dimpled aluminum. I don't believe the bulbs are "overdriven" in any way. There a two cooling fans blowing in one side of the fixture and two cooling fans blowing out the other end. I am planning right away to change all the stock bulbs to over ATI brand bulbs. I plan on using 4 blue plus, 1 Fiji purple and 2 aquablue specials.

My question is this; do you think that this lighting setup will provide adequate light to this tank for some SPS corals along the top half and soft and lps corals around the bottom? The only other real bummer of this lighting setup is that either all the tubes are on or off. You can't individually control say 2 sets of tubes for dawn dusk.

What do you think??

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your opinion. I truly value it.

Dennis

Last edited:
Thanks!

How will the actinic white & 6500k effect the color? What would a Fiji Purple do to the
color?

How would the following differ in color from what you recommended above?

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

If you had a tank my size, how many bulbs would you use (42L X 27W x 21T)?

I should also add, this will be a full SPS tank.

Thanks for your help!!!

I'd use 8 lamps. The Actinic White will do about the same thing the Fiji Purple does for about 10 bux less last I looked. The GE will bring out yellow and some green colors a little better but what you listed would be fine too.

Grim,
Im thinking of getting one of the new Redsea Max 250 aquariums. They are about 65gals and come with 6 T5, 39watt bulbs built into the hood. There are no single reflectors but instead a kind of, half round piece of dimpled aluminum. I don't believe the bulbs are "overdriven" in any way. There a two cooling fans blowing in one side of the fixture and two cooling fans blowing out the other end. I am planning right away to change all the stock bulbs to over ATI brand bulbs. I plan on using 4 blue plus, 1 Fiji purple and 2 aquablue specials.

My question is this; do you think that this lighting setup will provide adequate light to this tank for some SPS corals along the top half and soft and lps corals around the bottom? The only other real bummer of this lighting setup is that either all the tubes are on or off. You can't individually control say 2 sets of tubes for dawn dusk.

What do you think??

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your opinion. I truly value it.

Dennis

Should be good for SPS up high. You could always add a LED strip for dusk/dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngn8dogg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPStoney
Looking for new bulbs and was wondering what combo would put out the best look.

aquablue
blue plus
actinic white or fiji
blue plus
blue plus

or

blue plus
fiji or actinic white
ge
blue plys
blue plus

Ok cool thanks for the advice. What would you think would work best, the fiji or AW. thanks for all the help!

With only 5 lamps I might go with the Fiji, especially if you haven't ran a reddish tinted lamp before.

Thanks for the help. Is the order I listed the bulbs the right way they should be placed?

8x48 ATI PM on an aqaurium 60x30x20?

I estimate with fixture centered on the aquarium this leaves approx 6" around the perimeter that would not be directly under the fixture. I have no plans to place anything requiring high PAR out at the edges and it would just be sandbed and fish swimming room.

I guess I am just wondering if there would be too much shadow or light transition out towards the glass and look odd. Guidance here or anyone that can share FTS of a tank with a similarly smaller fixture over a larger tank would be great.

Reason I'm doing this and not buy the 60" fixture is I have about a year to go with a standard 75 gallon before moving to the custom size.

Grim, I went with your suggestion of:
(4) 454
(1) Indigo Sun
(1) Actinic White

This is going into a NEP over my 75g mixed reef with clams and a BTA. In what order should I place the bulbs?

Also, I thought I remember reading in a previous thread that the 454's were about the same in look as the Blue Plus -- just a bit lower in PAR values, correct? This is of course in a semi-reflected fixture like the NEP, and using the NON-internal reflected bulbs

Last edited:
Bulbs

Bulbs

Ok so I am going to have to use those bulbs until my blue pluses come in what order should I put them in and how should my intervals for the light to be on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back