The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grim,

I have a 4x 54watt sundial fixture over my 75 gallon tank. Dimensions are 48 long by 18 wide by 24 inches deep. will this light be sufficient to keep sps and a clam? Can u recomend a bulb setup? Im looking for something that would make the color of my corals pop.

I am going to try taking the leap to T5 to benefit my LPS which are not enjoyment my MH.

just a lighting experiment for me right now.

itll be a retro on icecap 660 with icecap reflectors, 8 48" bulbs all side by side.

what bulbs? I run 20k mh with VHO actinic right now, and I want atleast that, if not more...

Im trying to get as many different bulbs to see for myself as possible as well. Yay or nay?

the plan so far

1xGieseman pure actinic
1x ATI true actinic
1x Gieseman Actinic plus
1x ATI Blue Plus
1x Fiji Purple

need 3 more. question is, do I get something like mid sun or aquablue? is this going in the wrong direction? or double up on the actinic plus/blue plus? too much blue, not enough par? this is an SPS dominated tank 24" deep, so needs to have good output.

You are going from 20K halides to overdriven T5 because your LPS don't like what? If it's the intensity of the 20K halides and overdriven T5 system will more than likely give you more PAR and depending on your particular halide system, wattage, reflector and height above the water could be a WHOLE LOT more PAR.

Ok I did it!

Front
ATI Blue +
ATI Aquablue Special
KZ Fiji
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue +
Back
Here here is the fixture:
100_0430.jpg

Ballasts mounted
before the bulbs/reflectors
100_0425.jpg

Hanging over the tank
Tank is cloundy from just cleaning the glass
100_0437.jpg

Purrrdy, Tanks nice too :spin1:

Now for the down side. Unless I am just not seeing them unplug that thing until you add fans. You will kill the lamps if you don't cool them.

Hi Grim,

I have a 4x 54watt sundial fixture over my 75 gallon tank. Dimensions are 48 long by 18 wide by 24 inches deep. will this light be sufficient to keep sps and a clam? Can u recomend a bulb setup? Im looking for something that would make the color of my corals pop.

Front
Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aauablue
ATI Blue Plus

I wouldn't try a clam under than lighting system.

Hey Grim I am getting ready to start setting up a 600 Gal display tank that is 120x30x36 and I would like to get away from MH due to cost and heat will t5s work on a mixed reef 36" deep and what would you recommend for bulbs and there placement thanks for your input

6x54 Tek will work

Front
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus or UVL Super Actinic

I would run the actinic with the blue plus (lamps 1 and 6) rather than 2 actinics, looks better

thanx grim...what ballasts do you recommend, I'm new to T5...always used halides in the past. Guessing I run the 2 for sunrise/sunset on seperate ballast and timer ??

Hey Grim I am getting ready to start setting up a 600 Gal display tank that is 120x30x36 and I would like to get away from MH due to cost and heat will t5s work on a mixed reef 36" deep and what would you recommend for bulbs and there placement thanks for your input

No clams and only SPS in the upper half of the tank. Thing is on a tank that size T5's aren't really effective cost wise. You need 8 rows of lamps two wide. Best case scenario is 16 80 watt lamps. 4 400 watt halides in Lumenarcs will cover the same tank for the same approximate amount of power.

thanx grim...what ballasts do you recommend, I'm new to T5...always used halides in the past. Guessing I run the 2 for sunrise/sunset on seperate ballast and timer ??

Triad, Sylvania, Vossloh Schwabb are all pretty good. Get the 2 lamp versions so you have better control

Thanks Grim fore your response if I went with 4 400w MH reeflux 12k or 20k with the coralvue lumen bright reflectors 15x15x10 that I already have one will the reflectors work and two would you use any t5s for color if so what would you use thanks:confused:

Grim,

I will be running 6 T5's on workhorse ballasts over my 55gal. I don't have many corals yet but would like a few sps. What would be a good setup and in what order?

Thanks

Thanks Grim fore your response if I went with 4 400w MH reeflux 12k or 20k with the coralvue lumen bright reflectors 15x15x10 that I already have one will the reflectors work and two would you use any t5s for color if so what would you use thanks:confused:

I don't know if the Lumen Bright will cover the area a Lumenarc will. You might check Sanjay's site to see if he's tested them. As far as lamps I've always heard the 14K Hamilton is good but I really don't follow the halide stuff close enough to know what the latest and greatest lamps are.

Grim,

I will be running 6 T5's on workhorse ballasts over my 55gal. I don't have many corals yet but would like a few sps. What would be a good setup and in what order?

Thanks

You should use reflectors and if you do only 4 lamps are going to fit over the 55 if it's a standard.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

You should use reflectors and if you do only 4 lamps are going to fit over the 55 if it's a standard.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Its a light by Catalina Aquarium that I got well before I knew much about reefs and found this site. It has semi individual reflectors. One piece that is bent up about 3/4" between the reflectors so all 6 fit. I assume the reflectors are not that great but i'm am hoping the addition two bulbs can compensate. I just want to make it work untill I upgrade the tank. What would you recomend for 6 bulbs?

Front
Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aauablue
ATI Blue Plus

I wouldn't try a clam under than lighting system.

what would u recommed so I would be able to keep a clam? will adding 2 more 54 watts help? and if I do whick light bulbs would you recomend for a 6 bulb setup for color and clam? thanks a bunch for all your help.

Its a light by Catalina Aquarium that I got well before I knew much about reefs and found this site. It has semi individual reflectors. One piece that is bent up about 3/4" between the reflectors so all 6 fit. I assume the reflectors are not that great but i'm am hoping the addition two bulbs can compensate. I just want to make it work untill I upgrade the tank. What would you recomend for 6 bulbs?

Add a Blue Plus and Aquablue to what I listed for you. Arrange them so you get lamps you like on the dusk/dawn.

Or bring that POS down to Aurora and let uncle grim try to put some real reflectors in there :D

what would u recommed so I would be able to keep a clam? will adding 2 more 54 watts help? and if I do whick light bulbs would you recomend for a 6 bulb setup for color and clam? thanks a bunch for all your help.

I wouldn't try a clam with anything less than a 6x54 watt Tek light and it's a little iffy then. The Nova reflectors just don't cut it.

Hi Grim,

My bulbs are reaching the one year mark and I'm about to order from ReefGeek. My current setup in my powermodule is:

Front

ATI AquaBlue Sp
ATI Blue + <---Dusk/Dawn
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plue
ATI Blue + <---Dusk/Dawn
ATI Aqua Blue Sp

I liked my growth and color was good, but I'm wavering on a couple of questions.
1. I think I want it a little bluer.
2. I've heard people say that they think AB Specials washout the coral's colors alittle bit, I don't think it looks that bad, but I haven't seen any other blubs in person. Also, now I see you recommending the GE 6500K and UL Actinic White lights.
3. If I go with the GE6500K should I go with the Actinic White or Fiji Purple.

I was thinking the following:

Front:

KZ Fuji purple or UL Actinic White
ATI Blue + <--- Dusk/Dawn
ATI Blue +
GE 6.5K
ATI Blue + <--- Dusk/Dawn
ATI Blue +

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. O yea, I have mostly Acros and montipora, with a couple of acans.

Thanks,
Matt

Today, 02:41 PM * #6
TNTFISHY
Registered Member
So I'm now considering the 3 foot 6 bulb Tek light, 6 bulb Tek Elite, and the 4 bulb ATI Sunpower. The sunpower and elite are roughly the sam price, but are the sunpowers 4 bulbs enough for mixed reef? Tank size again is 36x18x 21 tall. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back