The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grim,

I have a frag tank, 12" deep (corals about 10" below the surface). I have an 8 bulb T5 fixture, 2 banks of four w/ separate timers. I'd like to get the most colors and still maintain good growth. What bulb combination and what cycle would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

4 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Aquablue and 2 UVL Actinic white would bring out lots of color and give you more than enough PAR.

Grim i posted before on my DIY system i did a 80 watts 6 bulbs on a 5x2x2 150gal currently using icecap 660 i have the following.

front
aqua special
blue +
aqua special
blue+
fiji purple
blue +

i just got a orange monti cap last week and notice on the edge the orange is starting to receed.

should i change my bulb set-up and i was even thinking about replaceing a special with a blue +?

i need your recommendation please.

Yeah but I am not sure what dusk/dawn will look like with the FP and a actinic. Figured the blue plus would be a good compromise but the actinic is a good bet too. Let us know how it works.

I hate to beat this into the ground but I'm nearly selected my bulbs. Would the use of Actinic White (whithish pink color?) and Super Actinic be a nice dusk to dawn and cover a wide spectrum? Would leaving out the Fiji Purple really hurt the red/oranges/pink or would the Actinic White pick up some of those?

Thanks much for the input!

Grim i posted before on my DIY system i did a 80 watts 6 bulbs on a 5x2x2 150gal currently using icecap 660 i have the following.

front
aqua special
blue +
aqua special
blue+
fiji purple
blue +

i just got a orange monti cap last week and notice on the edge the orange is starting to receed.

should i change my bulb set-up and i was even thinking about replaceing a special with a blue +?

i need your recommendation please.

I'd just keep an eye on it, not a lot of PAR difference between Blue Plus and Aquablue.

I hate to beat this into the ground but I'm nearly selected my bulbs. Would the use of Actinic White (whithish pink color?) and Super Actinic be a nice dusk to dawn and cover a wide spectrum? Would leaving out the Fiji Purple really hurt the red/oranges/pink or would the Actinic White pick up some of those?

Thanks much for the input!

The Actinic white would make the oranges and stuff look as good or better than the Fiji but dusk/dawn will look like crap, it's a lot more hash a color than the Fiji

Grim....
I've been searching, but cannot seem to find a better four bulb combo for my mixed reef(mostly lps and sps). I am currently running: 3-blue+, 1-aquasun. I like my current selection, but there may be something better and was thinking of trying, 2- blue+, 1-aquablue and 1- actinic/white. What do you think? Color is more important to me than growth rate.

thanks

Last edited:
What are the best Individual Reflectors on the market today? I am currently using IceCap SLR's. Also, what are people using for splash shields or how are you all keeping salt spray/splash off your bulbs/reflectors?
Thanks

Grim....
I've been searching, but cannot seem to find a better four bulb combo for my mixed reef(mostly lps and sps). I am currently running: 3-blue+, 1-aquasun. I like my current selection, but there may be something better and was thinking of trying, 2- blue+, 1-aquablue and 1- actinic/white. What do you think? Color is more important to me than growth rate.

thanks

Give it a shot, depends on taste.

This would be going on top of a 135 sps/lps tank. Will be using a 6 bulb 60" T5. What is the advantage of this:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

over this:
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...tput_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply

Also suggestions on bulbs, arrangement and height above tank. Thanks in advance

Get the one with Aqua Illumination reflectors.

Use 4 ATI Blue Plus, a GE 6500K Daylight and a KZ Fiji Purple.

Im planing my next tank (42x27x21) and cannot was planing on going with two 250w radiums & actinic supplementation, but cannot stop thinking about the colors I see on some of the t5 tanks. I do primarily SPS, was a few LPS & Zoas.

With the 27" width, I have plenty of space to work with for a retro setup and up to 8 36" bulbs. I would use two Icecap 660's to power them.

What would you recommend for reflector & bulb selection?

Got the canopy setup with the new lights. I haven't tried any combinations yet but already love the UVL Actinic White. WOW!!! Does that bring out the colors. Definitely not white.

right now I have front to back
Aquablue
Actinic White
blue +
blue +

I want to try the following which is what you originally suggested when I get a chance too.
blue +
Actinic white
blue +
blue +

And play around with the position of the Actinic white too.

Im planing my next tank (42x27x21) and cannot was planing on going with two 250w radiums & actinic supplementation, but cannot stop thinking about the colors I see on some of the t5 tanks. I do primarily SPS, was a few LPS & Zoas.

With the 27" width, I have plenty of space to work with for a retro setup and up to 8 36" bulbs. I would use two Icecap 660's to power them.

What would you recommend for reflector & bulb selection?

Ice Cap, Aquactinics or Aqua Illumination reflectors with 5 ATI Blue Plus, 2 UVL Actinic White and 1 GE 6500K Daylight lamps. Put the GE about center with a Actinic White a couple places front and rear of center.

Grim,

I am in the process of setting up a Oceanic Illuminata Rimless 57g tank (dimensions 36x18x21) and need some advice on T5 fixtures. The tank will be a SPS/LPS mixture . Predominately SPS from mid-upper level and LPS on the sandbed. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Tek and Sunpower 36" 6x39w fixtures. Can you give me some advise on which you would recommend and a bulb combination that would produce a blue tint. In the past I've run 250w Radiums on an electronic ballast with Lumenbright refelctors.

I have a 150 gallon, 60*24*24, mixed reef tank with a 7" high canopy. My SPS are near the top but want to move them to the middle and bottom as well. I currently have an Ice Cap 6 bulb T5 retrofit over-driven by 2 660 ballasts. I am thinking of raising the lights from 7" off the water to maybe 15" off the water in a new canopy I am building. Is 15" off the water too high? What is the max height I should go? I also will be adding 2 more bulbs to my setup.I am doing this to have a semi-open top canopy to allow for more ventilation. My canopy is just keeping all the heat in and my chiller is constantly running to keep the tank down to 80 degrees once the lights come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back