The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grim, looking for bulb selections for 2 tanks that I have .... special circumstance, please use as many UVL bulbs as possible as they are readily available to me without having to special order - even the 454 or Indigo Sun.

First tank:

75g with a 48" NEP. Tank is mostly zoos but has a BTA and 2 clams in it. Anem and clams are half way down in the tank. Looking for a color/growth balance - leaning towards the color side.

Second tank:

20L with (2) 30" NE SLR. Tank is acan/micro/chalice specific. Looking for COLOR as growth is taken care of with feeding ;)

3 454, 2 Indigo sun and a Actinic White on the first

2 454. 1 Indigo and a 75/25 on the little one.

Looking for some bulb suggestions to replace my tired old bulbs. This is a Maristar Fixture using a Galaxy ballast.

Currently
Phoenix 250W DE x 2
unknown T5HO x 2

I'm looking for something a bit less blue. The tank has a bit of a monochrome appearance now. Considering the following.

Phoenix 14K 250W x 2
Fiji Purple T5 x 1
Super Actinic T5 x 1

or

Iwasaki 14K 250W x 2
Blue Plus x 1
True Actinic x1

or

Any other suggestions for a bulb arrangement that has a chrisp white with a hint of blue yet still have the color pop that we all enjoy.

Looking for some bulb suggestions to replace my tired old bulbs. This is a Maristar Fixture using a Galaxy ballast.

Currently
Phoenix 250W DE x 2
unknown T5HO x 2

I'm looking for something a bit less blue. The tank has a bit of a monochrome appearance now. Considering the following.

Phoenix 14K 250W x 2
Fiji Purple T5 x 1
Super Actinic T5 x 1

or

Iwasaki 14K 250W x 2
Blue Plus x 1
True Actinic x1

or

Any other suggestions for a bulb arrangement that has a chrisp white with a hint of blue yet still have the color pop that we all enjoy.

Either of the two mixes you listed should look nice. I'd probably go with the first with the phoenix lamp.

Grim,

I just installed a 8x54w ATI Powermodule over my tank. My bulbs are:

1 Fiji Purple
4 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Aquablue Special
1 UVL Super Actinic

Does it matter in which order you have the bulbs installed? It has two phases/modes. One mode has two bulbs on and the other has 6 bulbs on. I am using the two bulb phase for morning and evening. Which bulbs would you recommend I use in the two bulb phase?

Thank you for your input.

What color will it turn out if I go with

3 Blue Plus
1 UVL super actinic
1 UVL 75/25
1 UVL 50/50

I could use the UVL super actinic and the UVL 75/25 for dawn and dusk or would it be too bright?

Grim,

I just installed a 8x54w ATI Powermodule over my tank. My bulbs are:

1 Fiji Purple
4 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Aquablue Special
1 UVL Super Actinic

Does it matter in which order you have the bulbs installed? It has two phases/modes. One mode has two bulbs on and the other has 6 bulbs on. I am using the two bulb phase for morning and evening. Which bulbs would you recommend I use in the two bulb phase?

Thank you for your input.

The Super Actinic and Blue Plus

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

What color will it turn out if I go with

3 Blue Plus
1 UVL super actinic
1 UVL 75/25
1 UVL 50/50

I could use the UVL super actinic and the UVL 75/25 for dawn and dusk or would it be too bright?

The 75/25 and super actinic might look good for Dusk/dawn. Overall the look will be close to 20K.

Either of the two mixes you listed should look nice. I'd probably go with the first with the phoenix lamp.

If I did go with the Phoenix bulbs would I be better off with which of the following to supplement? The T5's will also be used for dusk/dawn effect in addition to supplementing color of the halides.

Fiji Purple T5 x 1
Super Actinic T5 x 1

or

Actinic White T5 x 1
Super Actinic T5 x 1

or

Actinic White T5 x 1
Fiji Purple T5 x 1

The Super Actinic and Blue Plus

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

What kind of look would that give Grim??? That's pretty close to the combo that I'm going to try on Friday when my new bulbs get here. Here's the combo I'm going to try.......

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Blue Plus
GE 6500
Super Actinic
Blue Plus

If I did go with the Phoenix bulbs would I be better off with which of the following to supplement? The T5's will also be used for dusk/dawn effect in addition to supplementing color of the halides.

Fiji Purple T5 x 1
Super Actinic T5 x 1

or

Actinic White T5 x 1
Super Actinic T5 x 1

or

Actinic White T5 x 1
Fiji Purple T5 x 1

Fiji Purple and Super Actinic or a Blue Plus.

What kind of look would that give Grim??? That's pretty close to the combo that I'm going to try on Friday when my new bulbs get here. Here's the combo I'm going to try.......

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Blue Plus
GE 6500
Super Actinic
Blue Plus

The Mix I listed would be a little more blue than a 14K with a slight pink hue. Yours will be closer to 14K.

I will probably pass on the Blue Plus because the Phoenix on the electronic ballast are very strong on the blue already. So the Fiji Purple and Super Actinic might help the most.

Thanks!

Yeah but I am not sure what dusk/dawn will look like with the FP and a actinic. Figured the blue plus would be a good compromise but the actinic is a good bet too. Let us know how it works.

Grim,

My display tank is a 72gal bowfront that is about 20" deep. I'm currently running (2) ATI Blue Plus for 12 hours and (2) 250W DE MH Iwasaki 14K for 7 hours. I have the opportunity to replace this fixture with a (6) bulb Tek fixture that is about 8 months old and in excellent condition. I have various Acropora spp in the top half and montipora spp (branching and plating) in the lower half. There are a few LPS on the bottom. The Tek fixture doesn't fit in my canopy but fits quite nicely sitting on top of it at about 7 inches above the water. Also, I have (2) 5" fans mounted in the back of the canopy that can move a ton of air. These fans would blow air back to front underneath the Tek fixture right along the ends of the bulbs.

I have played with a lot of bulb combinations and this is what I like best so far (I really like the look of (1) Aquablue Plus and (1) Blue Plus on together for the dusk/dawn, so that is why I have this unusual combination) --

Front
ATI Aquablue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Back

I know the Tek doesn't have the reputation that the ATI and Aquactinics fixtures have, so I wanted to make sure that this set-up will provide enough PAR to replace my (2) Iwasaki's. What photoperiod would you recommend? Also, I'm concerned that the two fans might cool the bulbs too much. How would I know if this is happening? Should I run just one of the fans? Or, should I run both fans and keep the splashguard on? When I was running the Iwasaki's, these two fans never had any problem keeping the temp at 79 degrees without the use of a chiller (tank is in my cool basement). Thanks for your help, Grim.

Grim,

I am having 12 bulb configuration and it is too white. I would like to change the bulbs so that it has more blue and mimic the look of Radiums. Please advise.

Current configuration

Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Thanks Grim
Chris

Grim,

My display tank is a 72gal bowfront that is about 20" deep. I'm currently running (2) ATI Blue Plus for 12 hours and (2) 250W DE MH Iwasaki 14K for 7 hours. I have the opportunity to replace this fixture with a (6) bulb Tek fixture that is about 8 months old and in excellent condition. I have various Acropora spp in the top half and montipora spp (branching and plating) in the lower half. There are a few LPS on the bottom. The Tek fixture doesn't fit in my canopy but fits quite nicely sitting on top of it at about 7 inches above the water. Also, I have (2) 5" fans mounted in the back of the canopy that can move a ton of air. These fans would blow air back to front underneath the Tek fixture right along the ends of the bulbs.

I have played with a lot of bulb combinations and this is what I like best so far (I really like the look of (1) Aquablue Plus and (1) Blue Plus on together for the dusk/dawn, so that is why I have this unusual combination) --

Front
ATI Aquablue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Back

I know the Tek doesn't have the reputation that the ATI and Aquactinics fixtures have, so I wanted to make sure that this set-up will provide enough PAR to replace my (2) Iwasaki's. What photoperiod would you recommend? Also, I'm concerned that the two fans might cool the bulbs too much. How would I know if this is happening? Should I run just one of the fans? Or, should I run both fans and keep the splashguard on? When I was running the Iwasaki's, these two fans never had any problem keeping the temp at 79 degrees without the use of a chiller (tank is in my cool basement). Thanks for your help, Grim.

Use one 5 inch fan right in the middle of the back. You want it to blow in horizontally from the back dead nuts into the rear edge of the fixture or slightly above the fixture blowing down a little. Don't point the fan right at the lamps. The air flow blowing past the reflector area seems to have the effect of removing the excess heat without over cooling the lamps and at the same time also cools the ballasts as air flows through the vent slots on top. The above setup was goor for about 25% gain in output when I tested it using a 5" clip on fan.

Grim,

I am having 12 bulb configuration and it is too white. I would like to change the bulbs so that it has more blue and mimic the look of Radiums. Please advise.

Current configuration

Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Thanks Grim
Chris

Start by replacing the Aquablues with Blue Plus lamps. Next step would be using a second 75/25 in place of the front actinic white. If that isn['t enough try replacing the 2nd Actinic White with another 75/25. If that don't do it then put an Aquablue in place of the GE. If that doesn't do it Throw away your fixture (Grims home for old T5 fixtures, Aurora Co 80013) and get a radium system:lol2:

Hi Grim,

I have a frag tank, 12" deep (corals about 10" below the surface). I have an 8 bulb T5 fixture, 2 banks of four w/ separate timers. I'd like to get the most colors and still maintain good growth. What bulb combination and what cycle would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Grim,
I'm looking to order bulbs for my 6x60" retrofit with IC660s for my 125. I'm looking for a 20k look. Which bulbs would you recommend Mostly sps?

Grim,
I'm looking to order bulbs for my 6x60" retrofit with IC660s for my 125. I'm looking for a 20k look. Which bulbs would you recommend, mostly sps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back