The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4- 48" retro fit over-driven with a 660 ballast from reef geek. I'm getting to the 6 month time frame and going to start to change out the bulbs in a mixed reef with some sps frags at the top of the tank.
I have 3b+ and one atinic white now and am switching to 3b+ and one p+.

Question : should I change one per week for 4 weeks...can i replace them all at one time....or what ??

One at a shot every few days or so is how I'd do it.

bulb selection

bulb selection

I'm setting up a 57gal rimless. It will be a minimalist tank mostly SPS. I'm going with a 36" 6 bulb fixture. I would like something that will give me good growth and make the colors pop.

Any reason why you would go with these? and not Icecap is overdriving them bad? whats wrong with workhorse?

Icecap is out of business...
Coralife will service their equipment, but it's not clear if someone will continue to manufacture and market their items...

workhorse are ok, but they are more of a "generic" ballast... Any ballast you use should have a "programmed start"... otherwise it shortens the life of the bulbs.
Advance has good ballasts... I'm running a 2S54 for my 2 54W T5's.
It's electronic, small, quiet and is programmed start.

Any reason why you would go with these? and not Icecap is overdriving them bad? whats wrong with workhorse?

Overdriving is OK if you have a taller tank but it's just not worth it on tanks 24 inches or shorter. Workhorses aren't a real T5 ballast and you wont get as good of performance from them.

I'm setting up a 57gal rimless. It will be a minimalist tank mostly SPS. I'm going with a 36" 6 bulb fixture. I would like something that will give me good growth and make the colors pop.

I'd use an ATI fixture, 4 Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus and 1 Aquablue lamp

Overdriving is OK if you have a taller tank but it's just not worth it on tanks 24 inches or shorter. Workhorses aren't a real T5 ballast and you wont get as good of performance from them.

Where can I find these other ballast? I did a search and couldnt find anything.

Thanks again you have been very helpfull.

Rich

new bulbs

new bulbs

I need advice I am replacing my bulbs over my 75
I was looking at ati bulbs, can you please give me the best setup for a mixed reef. I have an aquatic life 48" 6 bulb. Want growth and health.

\

Hey Grim. I need your expert advice! I currently have a T5 4x54 with these bulbs.

Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

Im jumping over to an 8x54 and was wondering whats your recomendation for the set up? I dont have any sps right now but id like to have a few possibly in the near future. Any help or advice would be great!

Grim,

How would you run 5 B+ and 2 FP in an 8 bulbs PM, without have a FP in slots 3 or 6 (dusk/dawn)?

1) B+
2) FP
3) B+
4) B+
5) FP
6) B+
7) B+
8) B+

or

1) B+
2) FP
3) B+
4) B+
5) B+
6) B+
7) FP
8) B+

I need advice I am replacing my bulbs over my 75
I was looking at ati bulbs, can you please give me the best setup for a mixed reef. I have an aquatic life 48" 6 bulb. Want growth and health.

\

Same mix listed all through the thread, 4 ati blue plus, 1 ati purple plus and a ati Aquablue or GE 6500K Daylight.

Hey Grim. I need your expert advice! I currently have a T5 4x54 with these bulbs.

Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

Im jumping over to an 8x54 and was wondering whats your recomendation for the set up? I dont have any sps right now but id like to have a few possibly in the near future. Any help or advice would be great!

If you like what you have now double it. If you want more blue only use one Aquablue or a GE 6500K daylight with the 2 purples and 5 Blue Plus

Grim,

How would you run 5 B+ and 2 FP in an 8 bulbs PM, without have a FP in slots 3 or 6 (dusk/dawn)?

1) B+
2) FP
3) B+
4) B+
5) FP
6) B+
7) B+
8) B+

or

1) B+
2) FP
3) B+
4) B+
5) B+
6) B+
7) FP
8) B+

Try both and see which one you like better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back