The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
wave point bulbs combination

wave point bulbs combination

Hi, I have a lamp 6x54w tek a 75g tank that measures 48''x18''x21''the only bulbs they sell at my local store are wave point and do not know which combination would be perfect for sps and lps, also I have a LED bar. If anyone has used these bulbs could guide me what would be the best combination for growth and coloration with LED additives. These are the wave point that they sell:

sun wave=12,000k
blue wave=actinic 460
reef wave=actinic 420
coral wave=coral growth accelerator

thanks for the help!!!!!

Hi, I have a lamp 6x54w tek a 75g tank that measures 48''x18''x21''the only bulbs they sell at my local store are wave point and do not know which combination would be perfect for sps and lps, also I have a LED bar. If anyone has used these bulbs could guide me what would be the best combination for growth and coloration with LED additives. These are the wave point that they sell:

sun wave=12,000k
blue wave=actinic 460
reef wave=actinic 420

thanks for the help!!!!!

Don't really know much about the cheap lamps but I'd guess 4 of the 460's, 1 12K and 1 Growth Accelerator would look good.

sun wave=12,000k
blue wave=actinic 460
reef wave=actinic 420

thanks for the help!!!!!

I'm familiar with these bulbs. I would note that the sun wave is basically 10k, regardless of what they say. My ideal combo would be:

Front
Blue Wave - 460
Blue Wave - 460
Sun Wave - 10k
Coral Wave - Purple (Close to ATI purple plus, in look. not sure about PAR)
Blue Wave - 460
Blue Wave - 460

If you want some rich actinic pop, swap out a rear Blue Wave for a Reef Wave. I like the balanced look of the Coral Wave more though. If you want it to look more white, swap out a blue wave for another Sun Wave.

Those lamps should give you around 18K or so look. Unless the nova fixture just isn't giving you enough PAR to color up the corals those lamps should give you good color.

Yeah well i think my biggest mistake is one getting a light without individual reflectors and two continuing to use the stock bulbs that come with the fixture. I was trying to think of a way to fix the problem of the reflectors without buying a new fixture but i'm not sure how it can be done .

Yeah well i think my biggest mistake is one getting a light without individual reflectors and two continuing to use the stock bulbs that come with the fixture. I was trying to think of a way to fix the problem of the reflectors without buying a new fixture but i'm not sure how it can be done .

If you haven't done so already new lamps is the next step so...

T5 advice for 75G

T5 advice for 75G

I can use a quick expert opinion! I have a 75 g (48" x 18 wide x 20 deep) and have been using 4x96W PCs for years quite successfully for LPS and softies. One of my ballasts is giving me problems so I thought I'd replace it with T5s. For the time being I thought I would keep the PC actinics since they are relatively new.

Here's the question: How many 54W HO T5s should I get to replace two 10,000 96W PCs to get equivalent brightness for my livestock? I just don't know how the wattages compare...

These would be 48" bulbs replacing 34" ones..

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I can use a quick expert opinion! I have a 75 g (48" x 18 wide x 20 deep) and have been using 4x96W PCs for years quite successfully for LPS and softies. One of my ballasts is giving me problems so I thought I'd replace it with T5s. For the time being I thought I would keep the PC actinics since they are relatively new.

Here's the question: How many 54W HO T5s should I get to replace two 10,000 96W PCs to get equivalent brightness for my livestock? I just don't know how the wattages compare...

These would be 48" bulbs replacing 34" ones..

Many thanks!

4 would be as much light as you have now but I'd do 6.

I tried my best to read threw this thread but dang near 400 pages was just to much... anyway on to my question for the lighting gods!

I just bought a custom tank with rather odd dimensions 72L 30W 26D I am not sure the amount of bulbs I should go with or even the pattern I figure if I build my own canopy I could do 12 lamps easy and possibly stuff 16 into it depending on the length of bulbs I use.

The plan for the tank is SPS, with LPS/clams and softies low or on the sand bed. so what would be the # of bulbs and lengths of bulbs... in a couple months after the parts are put together I will pester you some more for bulb types :D

/bows to the light gods

I tried my best to read threw this thread but dang near 400 pages was just to much... anyway on to my question for the lighting gods!

I just bought a custom tank with rather odd dimensions 72L 30W 26D I am not sure the amount of bulbs I should go with or even the pattern I figure if I build my own canopy I could do 12 lamps easy and possibly stuff 16 into it depending on the length of bulbs I use.

The plan for the tank is SPS, with LPS/clams and softies low or on the sand bed. so what would be the # of bulbs and lengths of bulbs... in a couple months after the parts are put together I will pester you some more for bulb types :D

/bows to the light gods

I would do 10 of the 80 watt 60" lamps centered. You can't keep high light critters at the ends but softies and zoas will do fine there and the tank will be pretty evenly illuminated except for the upper edges and the ends.

CHeck reefgeek for retro kits.

Grim,

I am going to get the ATI 60" 6x80w SunPower T5 High-Output Fixture for my 150 gallon tank.The dimension of the tank is 18 inches in depth, 6 ft wide, 25 inches in height, with 2 over flow in the corner. What color of light bulbs should I get with that fixture.

which of the brands would you recomend? and HO or the VHO version?

hO or VHO has to do with the ballast you use and seeing as how Ice Cap is no longer in business it might be a little dicey using their ballasts to do VHO. If you can still get the ballasts I would use them on the 80 watt lamps.

Id use 6 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Purple Plus and 2 ATI Aquablues and gran a GE 6500K Daylight as a spare so you can play.

Grim,

I am going to get the ATI 60" 6x80w SunPower T5 High-Output Fixture for my 150 gallon tank.The dimension of the tank is 18 inches in depth, 6 ft wide, 25 inches in height, with 2 over flow in the corner. What color of light bulbs should I get with that fixture.

Same as all the other 6 lamp mixes listed here, 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus and either a ATI Aquablue or GE 6500K Daylight. GE will give you closer to 15K and the Aquablue more toward say 18K look.

Hi there Grim, I have a question about how high above the waterline should I keep my ATI Sunpower T5/LED Hybrid: Yes, I modded my 6x24watt Sunpower to 5x24watt T5 + almost 60watts of Cree LED (20xRoyal Blue + 4xBlue). Total almost 180watts T5+LED.

Here is my build thread so you can see what I have done: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18068168#post18068168

Anyway, I was using a mix of 40 + 60 degree optics, but this caused coral bleaching. So I replaced with about 6x60 degree optics and the rest as 80 degree optics. No more bleaching, and better colour blending now.

I currently have the Sunpower about 5 inches off the waterline. How high in your opinion is the "best" in order to retain good PAR, but also to have good spread?

My tanks area is 30" x 20". The water height from sand is just under 15", so quite a shallow tank.

I am using the following combo from front to back:

Front:

ATI Blue Plus
Arcadia 14K
24 Cree LEDs @ 700mA (20xRB + 4xBlue)
ATI Purple Plus
ATI AquaBlue Special
ATI Blue Plus

This produces a very nice 20K look. The pinks and red are still quite visible.

Just need to know whats the best height to keep the fixture at. Many thanks, and sorry for the looong winded post, but I wanted you to know all the details since you are the T5 guru and are now dabbling very much with LED's as well.

Thanks! :wave:

I have a couple of questions about my T5 light. I have a 10 X 54 Watt ATI Powermodule. The bulbs are over a year old and all need replacing. Can I replace them all at once? It would be easier than trying to remember which ones I replaced if I only did a few at a time?
Also, if I do replace them, how many hours should I subtract from my current lighting schedule?
Right now I have 2 bulbs on from: 11am - 1:30pm, and 7:45pm - 9:30pm
10 bulbs on from: 1:30pm to 2:00pm and 7:00pm to 7:45pm
and 8 bulbs on from: 2:00pm to 7:00pm

Thanks, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back