The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks. So your not a big fan of the Tek or the Aquatic Life? I like the AQ because of the built-in timer. The TX5 looks like a nice fixture and is certainly in my budget. I know what your 4 combo recommendation is, but how about a 5 bulb combo? I like the blue look but I want to support a mixed reef.

Don't know much about Aquatic life and the Tek not having active cooling isnt high on my list

Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

I read about the 8x80 ATI Powermodule $1274 excluding bulbs, and it is a very nice package but my tank is 72 inches long. I think My mistake I did not make that clear. Or are you saying that the 6" on each side won't matter. I was looking at the Ice cap retro individual pieces (8 - 36" Aquactinics T5 Reflectors w/clips, 660 Icecap ballast, the waterproof ends and the clips) price $574, I am not sure about what bulbs to get. + $160 for bulbs

Is my spread good enough or do I need 8 bulbs per side for a total of 16 bulbs, wow thats alot. How close should each bulb be to the next.

Is the ATI brand better, or is it only because it is already packaged. How does that dawn to dusk simulation work.

Thank you for your help and time

The thing about the fixture is with the splash shield you can place it really close to the water. With a retro you need to keep it at least 4 inches above the tank.

The 6" att he ends doesn't matter unless you plan to stock high light critters right to the end. You should do 8 lamps assuming the tank is 24" front to back. You could do an 8x80 retrofit and save some money over the fixture.

Guys i am doing a rimless of 3.5x2.5x1.5. well keeping SPS. tank and cabinet ready now left the Lights. Should i go for an ATI Powermodul 39w 8 or 10 tubes
or should i go for iesemann MATRIX T-5 900 mm (8 x 39W)

I don't think ATI even makes 28 watt lamps. Those are regular output lamps. I think coralife makes some but they wouldn't even be close to the same output as the 54 watt HO T5's.

Thanks for the help. What would be the best layout for 10 bulbs setup since he ordered 5 x DALI 54 watt twin ballast? Sorry for keep on pestring you and once again many thanks for taking your time to answer all my questions.

Tahir
UK

So after looking at Grim Reefer's home page I see that I will need a 7-8 bulb fixture for my 24" (front to back) tank.

The larger question I have is how do T5's stack up to Halides for a 30" (top to bottom) tank. I would like to keep SPS in the top half and some LPS/ Clams in the bottom. With a 1-2 inch sandbed, will T5's have just as much (or close) par/ pur as a 250w halide?

I realize that quite a bit resides on the bulbs, but let's assume that I would use the ATI bulbs in a nova extreme (not pro), or a TEK.

Thanks for the help. What would be the best layout for 10 bulbs setup since he ordered 5 x DALI 54 watt twin ballast? Sorry for keep on pestring you and once again many thanks for taking your time to answer all my questions.

Tahir
UK

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White or KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight or Giesemann Midday
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White or KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight or Midday
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

So after looking at Grim Reefer's home page I see that I will need a 7-8 bulb fixture for my 24" (front to back) tank.

The larger question I have is how do T5's stack up to Halides for a 30" (top to bottom) tank. I would like to keep SPS in the top half and some LPS/ Clams in the bottom. With a 1-2 inch sandbed, will T5's have just as much (or close) par/ pur as a 250w halide?

I realize that quite a bit resides on the bulbs, but let's assume that I would use the ATI bulbs in a nova extreme (not pro), or a TEK.

No way can you raise clams in a 30 inch tall tank using a Nova T5 system, dont even try it

I have been waiting for the 48" Constellation fixtures to get back in stock, but since it has now been over two months with no end in sight, I am starting to look for a backup plan for my 4 ft 120 gal mixed LPS / SPS reef tank.

One feature of the Constellation I liked was that it could be mounted to the tank either flush or with short risers. I was considering the 8 bulb ATI Powermodule for my backup plan. Have you heard of anyone tank mounting the ATI or using rear stand mounted stainless bracket to hang it from. The tank will be in my living room with 10 ft ceilings and I don't want the wires hanging down. I have seen a bracket like this on Cadlights website for their MH/T5 light, but didn't know if it would support the weight of the ATI fixture.

Hey Grim,
You seem to be the foremost expert on T5 lighting here on RC so I've got a question for you. I'm in the process of setting up a 90 gallon system. I have an 8 bulb, individual reflector T5 setup that seems to be a TEK knock off. The tank is a standard 90, 24" tall. I am hoping to have clams in the tank and was wondering, in your opinion, if the fixture would be adequate for them? I am hoping to build an arch and have them attach on various parts of it, from the bottom of the tank to the top of the arch. I plan on the arch being around 18" tall. Thanks in advance for you time.
Shane

Last edited:
grim i just ordered an 4x24 ATI sunpower to go over a 17gal rimless sps build and was wondering what lamp choices you would recomend to color the tank a nice blue, somewhat like sonnys rimless reef. i was looking at doing
front
Giesemann actinic plus 22k
KZ coral light 14k
KZ fiji purple
ATI blue plus
-thanks

I am in the process of putting up another tank and was going to move the light off my 75 onto it. It is a coralife 2-150 watt hqi with powercompacts and I just can't get the color I want from any bulb combo I try. The 75 is mixed tank sps,monti's and a few chalice. I was leaning to a tek light but with adding on the splash shield, legs, etc. it takes the $$ more than the "boss":sad2: wants me to spend. The next light on the list was the Nova Extreme Pro, I know it does not have true individual reflectors and that I will want to change out the bulbs fairly quick but it does have active cooling which should help out with PAR and lifespan of the bulbs and ballast correct ????

Tom

Been running this combination for about a year and coming up on a bulb change. SPS Dominated 120 (24 inches depth) Any new spin on this combo for growth and color? Fixtue is a Tek 8x54

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

Looking for a 12k-14k look using 6x T5's I have two icecaps that will run the 6 bulbs, one icecap will run 4 for about 10 hours and the other icecap will run two bulbs for 12 hours with a hour headstart on the main bulbs..

What do you say about this list in this order in placement grim?

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Atinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue
ATI Aqua Blue
Back

Please update the list above with what you'd think is best for placement as well as to get that 12k-14k look.. I'd really like to house lps and sps aswell as clams as I'm a clam junky! the tank is a 90 gallon with a depth of about 24-1/2 inchs...

Thanks for your time and wisdom! :rollface::fun4:

What should i use

What should i use

I have a ATI powermodule 6 bulb over a 40g breeder that is manly SPS, what bulb combination should i use I LIKE BLUE,

Best recommendation for a palythoa and zoa only tank

fixture is 4x24w T5

Looking for a combo that will bring out the best colors in the corals.

I have been waiting for the 48" Constellation fixtures to get back in stock, but since it has now been over two months with no end in sight, I am starting to look for a backup plan for my 4 ft 120 gal mixed LPS / SPS reef tank.

One feature of the Constellation I liked was that it could be mounted to the tank either flush or with short risers. I was considering the 8 bulb ATI Powermodule for my backup plan. Have you heard of anyone tank mounting the ATI or using rear stand mounted stainless bracket to hang it from. The tank will be in my living room with 10 ft ceilings and I don't want the wires hanging down. I have seen a bracket like this on Cadlights website for their MH/T5 light, but didn't know if it would support the weight of the ATI fixture.

You could make brackets to just mount the ATI right on the tank. Just a couple of cross braces and sit the fixture right on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back