The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim you gave me a bulb combo last week when I ordered the bulbs today R.G. she said the UVL actinic white is back ordered for couple weeks, but she said the Ice cap 12000k mid water is the same bulb made in the same factory just a different name on the bulb, is this bulb comparable or should I cancell that one and get a different bulb than the Ice cap, joe

It is fine, same basic lamp

Grim....I'm plumbing in a tank on the side for my wife and was wondering about the lighting.....

It's a standard 20g high....24x12x16.5

This tank will only be softies, zoas, and LPS. I was thinking about going with either a 2x24 or a 3x24 and using a combo of 1 blueplus/1 fiji purple or 2 blueplus/1 fiji purple.

I really want the colors to stand out in this tank with it having zoas, ricordia, and some acans. Which do you feel would be adequate?

Grim....I'm plumbing in a tank on the side for my wife and was wondering about the lighting.....

It's a standard 20g high....24x12x16.5

This tank will only be softies, zoas, and LPS. I was thinking about going with either a 2x24 or a 3x24 and using a combo of 1 blueplus/1 fiji purple or 2 blueplus/1 fiji purple.

I really want the colors to stand out in this tank with it having zoas, ricordia, and some acans. Which do you feel would be adequate?

The 3 lamp setup would be good.

tas5tas, have the same exact tank setting up. Might eventually do some other corals, so I am going with the 4-bulb. If you are considering a 4-bulb AT ALL, I am getting an aquaticlife t5HO fixture. The 2 MAIN features I love about this fixture over the others, is 1, that all 3 lights(2 bulb bank, 2 bulb bank, LED's) use 1 cord. And, 2, that there is a programmable digital timer(w/battery back-up for remembering lighting programs) built into the lighting hood. This makes a SIMPLE single-cord plug-n-play application. I have an old house, with horrible electrical design, and # of plugs means quite a bit in terms of space and multiple strips. I have 1 8-plug strip, and it does just perfect. The circuit is a nice 30A circuit, so should be fine power-wise. If you are interested in hearing about this, I should be getting it in thursday. If you send me a PM, I can just give you an idea on quality of the fixture, shoot a few pics, whatever you want. Let me know, and good luck. Also, the reason I liked the idea of 4 bulbs, is because of the depth, a few extra watts will penetrate a bit more.

Grim & others,

I have a 29g (30l x 13w x 18h) i would like to see what bulb/ fixtures you would recommend me to use. I like the thought of some over driven icecaps... but am unsure on what ballast i need to use to run 4 over driven bulbs. Will a 430 or 660 work? Also what bulbs should i use? I also like the aquatic life 4x24w but not sure it will keep up with my sps. Any help would be great!

Grim,

Can 18x54w bulbs emough for a 4'x5'x2' tall SPS tank?
Could you give me the best bulbs combo for it?

thanks,

Should be fine

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Grim... u da man... I like other newbies have been lurking on this thread for a while and while I understand some I really dont have a firm grasp on what lighting combinations work the best and why so I have come to you for advice.

My current tank is a 23"x23"x23" corner... due to limited space I can only fit a 2 bulb and a 1 bulb fixture. I purchased a Nova Extreme HO t5 fixture with the stock 10k and 460nm... I also have a 18" t8 running a 10k. I havent been using the t8 but after goofing around with it recently I am leaning to putting it in the rotation. With that said I know for what I have read that I should replace the stock bulbs in the Nova and the t8 has a new ZooMed 10k... I am really only interested in growing softies and my Hammer, Frogspawn, GSP, Xenia, Shroom, Ric, and Zoas seem to be doing well under just the Nova but I REALLY want the colors to POP and maybe I cant get there from here but I figured I would ask...

So if you would be so gracious I would love to hear your thoughts on a setup and in which order you think they would work the best. Attached is a pic with both fixtures on the hood...I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2
Grim & others,

I have a 29g (30l x 13w x 18h) i would like to see what bulb/ fixtures you would recommend me to use. I like the thought of some over driven icecaps... but am unsure on what ballast i need to use to run 4 over driven bulbs. Will a 430 or 660 work? Also what bulbs should i use? I also like the aquatic life 4x24w but not sure it will keep up with my sps. Any help would be great!

660 will run 4 lamps but I think I would get the ATI 4x24 Sunpower fixture instead. It will have plenty of output for that tank. Do 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and 1 ATI Aquablue.

Awesome thank you for the info Grim! So would the 660 just be to much with 2-24w bulbs? I am just worried i will not be able to get PAR i need for my acros. Does the ATI overdrive the bulbs or are they just straight 24w.

Grim... u da man... I like other newbies have been lurking on this thread for a while and while I understand some I really dont have a firm grasp on what lighting combinations work the best and why so I have come to you for advice.

My current tank is a 23"x23"x23" corner... due to limited space I can only fit a 2 bulb and a 1 bulb fixture. I purchased a Nova Extreme HO t5 fixture with the stock 10k and 460nm... I also have a 18" t8 running a 10k. I havent been using the t8 but after goofing around with it recently I am leaning to putting it in the rotation. With that said I know for what I have read that I should replace the stock bulbs in the Nova and the t8 has a new ZooMed 10k... I am really only interested in growing softies and my Hammer, Frogspawn, GSP, Xenia, Shroom, Ric, and Zoas seem to be doing well under just the Nova but I REALLY want the colors to POP and maybe I cant get there from here but I figured I would ask...

So if you would be so gracious I would love to hear your thoughts on a setup and in which order you think they would work the best. Attached is a pic with both fixtures on the hood...I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Mark

I would try 2 ATI Blue Plus in the 24" and a 10K T8 lamp to brighten up the look. Could also do a blue T8 with 1 Blue Plus and 1 ATI Aquablue

Awesome thank you for the info Grim! So would the 660 just be to much with 2-24w bulbs? I am just worried i will not be able to get PAR i need for my acros. Does the ATI overdrive the bulbs or are they just straight 24w.

Don't worry, the ATI will give you plenty of PAR. The overdriven 24" T5 would be pretty bright. 2 might work but then you are limiting the color combo you could have. You will be happier using 4 lamps. 4 overdriven would be pretty intense, if you don't plan anything but hight light critters it would be OK.

Grim - what type of color (blue or whitish) and growth (slow or fast) could I expect out of this combo on a 4x24? I am ready to place my order for my bulbs and want to know what I could tweak to achieve different results. I am going to support a mixed reef with a few simple SPS. Ideally, I'd like to try a few easy Acros near the top. My tank depth is 20". I'd like to go with a bluish look but I still want good growth and good coral coloring. I know I am asking for the impossible right? :)

Front
ATI Blue+
KZ Fiji
ATI Aqua Blue
ATI Blue+

and on a side note, is your profession related to the hobby? You seem regarded as the light guru.

Don't worry, the ATI will give you plenty of PAR. The overdriven 24" T5 would be pretty bright. 2 might work but then you are limiting the color combo you could have. You will be happier using 4 lamps. 4 overdriven would be pretty intense, if you don't plan anything but hight light critters it would be OK.

Have you heard anything about the aquatic life 2x24w? they have great prices and a nice timer built in. I would swap them out for the bulbs you recommended.

Grim - what type of color (blue or whitish) and growth (slow or fast) could I expect out of this combo on a 4x24? I am ready to place my order for my bulbs and want to know what I could tweak to achieve different results. I am going to support a mixed reef with a few simple SPS. Ideally, I'd like to try a few easy Acros near the top. My tank depth is 20". I'd like to go with a bluish look but I still want good growth and good coral coloring. I know I am asking for the impossible right? :)

Front
ATI Blue+
KZ Fiji
ATI Aqua Blue
ATI Blue+

and on a side note, is your profession related to the hobby? You seem regarded as the light guru.

You would get good growth and have a blue look but not 20K blue.

The lighting thing relates to former occupation slightly. I used to have to dial in color laser printers and copiers back in the early days. You had to know how colors mixed and what photons are and all kinds of other fun stuff to be trained. Not that it really had jack squat to do with the task at hand but they drove a lot of extra stuff down your throat during training. Made learning about the Aquarium lighting pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back